Coastal navigation

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: Coastal navigation

Post by barra mick » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:05 pm

I dont let nude up drive the boat any faster than 85km btw spots on the gps.

No need to rush there !!

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:09 pm

barra mick wrote:I dont let nude up drive the boat any faster than 85km btw spots on the gps.

No need to rush there !!

Bm
More time to fish if your doing 100+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:21 pm

Nothing wrong with using a sounder, but fish move i often wonder how often you are fishing where the fish were and not where they are now. I still think you are better off learning where and when to fish and drawing more fish to you than doing 40 knots between gps marks in the random hope a fish is home. I mostly fish wp because i got fed up with the wacky racers in ppb.[/quote]

In the small time I have been fishing I have learnt that fish like structure add in some berley you catch fish . If you want to sit in one spot for 8 hrs and catch nothing go for it.
Not everybody is roaming the bays aimlessly why do people keep fishing diaries because fish are creatures of habit if I caught snapper at the corals in october last year there is a good chance they will be there this october. The golden rule of whiting fishing keep moving till you find the school then burley to keep them there using your method sit in one spot and wait.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:22 pm

I love kyakers they are like flyfishermen theirs is the purest form of fishing god invented outboards for a reason inside every kyaker is a man who can not afford a boat

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:09 am

Nude up wrote:Nothing wrong with using a sounder, but fish move i often wonder how often you are fishing where the fish were and not where they are now. I still think you are better off learning where and when to fish and drawing more fish to you than doing 40 knots between gps marks in the random hope a fish is home. I mostly fish wp because i got fed up with the wacky racers in ppb.
In the small time I have been fishing I have learnt that fish like structure add in some berley you catch fish . If you want to sit in one spot for 8 hrs and catch nothing go for it.
Not everybody is roaming the bays aimlessly why do people keep fishing diaries because fish are creatures of habit if I caught snapper at the corals in october last year there is a good chance they will be there this october. The golden rule of whiting fishing keep moving till you find the school then burley to keep them there using your method sit in one spot and wait.[/quote]

I have caught the same size fish (4-5kg) in the same spot, on the same day, at the same time, for a few years running now in snapper season. I am convinced you can stack the odds if you keep a diary

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:03 am

Scraglor wrote:
Nude up wrote:Nothing wrong with using a sounder, but fish move i often wonder how often you are fishing where the fish were and not where they are now. I still think you are better off learning where and when to fish and drawing more fish to you than doing 40 knots between gps marks in the random hope a fish is home. I mostly fish wp because i got fed up with the wacky racers in ppb.
Not everybody is roaming the bays aimlessly why do people keep fishing diaries because fish are creatures of habit if I caught snapper at the corals in october last year there is a good chance they will be there this october. The golden rule of whiting fishing keep moving till you find the school then burley to keep them there using your method sit in one spot and wait.
I have caught the same size fish (4-5kg) in the same spot, on the same day, at the same time, for a few years running now in snapper season. I am convinced you can stack the odds if you keep a diary[/quote]

Thats really what i was saying about right place and time. Ive been out with guys in ppb and all they do is blast along randomly stopping to take a sound and then entering the mark if they see somethings home. They have no idea if its a holding area or just a fish highway. I use the sounder to find the holding areas, then the experience comes in with tide, time and conditon to know when to fish. You only catch when you have a line in the water. :-D
Cast, catch and put it back

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:58 pm

dezza68 wrote:
Scraglor wrote:
I have caught the same size fish (4-5kg) in the same spot, on the same day, at the same time, for a few years running now in snapper season. I am convinced you can stack the odds if you keep a diary
Thats really what i was saying about right place and time. Ive been out with guys in ppb and all they do is blast along randomly stopping to take a sound and then entering the mark if they see somethings home. They have no idea if its a holding area or just a fish highway. I use the sounder to find the holding areas, then the experience comes in with tide, time and conditon to know when to fish. You only catch when you have a line in the water. :-D[/quote]

Yeah, you are definitely right there. Whiting for example, once you know what structures to look for, what sort of bottom to look for, etc, you can be pretty confident of visiting a new area and getting onto fish.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”