Port Agusta South Australia -

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Port Agusta South Australia -

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:21 pm

]A few of us ventured over to Pt Augusta to give the Kings a go near the Power Station with the kayaks for a few days so here's a quick report

Day 1 we got on the water around 5.30 - 6.00 am and launched behind the small island across from the power station , bait collection was our first problem , not knowing the area made it slow going - We tryed for squid without any luck and a few trolled lures me included but the floating weed was quite a problem
a couple of salmon and snook were turned into live bait and some trolling the power station was on
there were a few hits but no hook ups
later in the day Milton ( one of the South ozzie kayakers ) gave me the nod they are here with a lot of marks good solid archs on the sounder , then a boat hooked up to something solid right near us
then Milton got a what looked to be a solid hook up but the same 30 kg fish had gone around his line
this fish was landed on the boat

below a few of the crew on the way to some bait grounds day 1

Day 2 with the weed being what it was I took some bait ( guess what Pt Augusta has a Cole so I bought some Banana prawn ) I parked up where the guys had picked up Snook and salmon the day before and picked up a few KG whiting which became my live bait
only thing that latched on was a blue swimmer crab that cut the whiting in half and dropped off right beside the yak
a couple of the other guys got hits on trolled dead baits but no hook ups then the school moved on by the time I was ready to troll my liveys

Day 3 the wind was up and being the last day we did give it a go this time heading 3 km into a stiff head wind 10 - 15 knott and oncoming tide ( damm hard work ) this was to try another piece of ground that was ment to hold squid
even with a the sea anchor out the driff was fast so out with the anchor and bait on what looked like productive grounds for only 1 toad
with out the drift shoot 6.5 kph going by the GPS the wind was ripping along

so the trip was full of donuts but a good learning curve for next time and yes there will be another trip west to try again next year at a guess
this season going by the locals has been slow with them blaming the water temps through the gulf slow to rise

seeing a 30 kg fish at least landed got our mouths watering - what a challenge that would be on the kayak

by the way every one we met liked to tell us about there pet jumping great white - it wasn't sighted in the flesh but a really big black marks mid water on the sounder greeted a couple of guys over the first couple of days
We have no doubt that the shark or sharks was about
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Port Agusta South Australia -

Post by scott__henning » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:28 pm

30kg kingie? What a beast! Yeah that would be something else out of a kayak. Though wouldn't want that white anywhere near you when you land it!

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:42 pm

scott__henning wrote:30kg kingie? What a beast! Yeah that would be something else out of a kayak. Though wouldn't want that white anywhere near you when you land it!
you are right it was a big sucker - one of the SA kayaking guys picked up a 27 kg fish last season and landed it him self - at this size even yanking it on a boat looked like a chore

it's a shame the water temps have been slow to rise , it seams all the fish that had been getting caught were male and the females are still heading in
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:22 pm

Good report and photos Cheater, lot of the Sth Aussies fisho's said the water has been very cold and taking ages to warm up too. I wouldn't like the S.A. fisheries to have checked you live bait.. KG whiting are illegal to use as live bait there. I don't it's changed either.

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:36 pm

Great read and pic's cheater :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:37 pm

meppstas wrote: KG whiting are illegal to use as live bait there. I don't it's changed either.

cheers
Adrian
I couldn't find any where that prohibits the use of KGW as bait , live or dead as long as they were over 31 cm and you didn't have more than 12

a 31 cm kgw as a live bait is just a snack for these things

my live baits were well over the min length -
My kayak PBs

Cheater

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:24 pm

Good work on the report and pics cheater :thumbsup: ,cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:27 pm

Carl has been carrying on about that place since driving through it on his way out to Eliston. Looks mad Cheetah!
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:32 pm

great report cheater, something I hope to one day do off the yak, it is a shame they are decommissioning the plant.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:52 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
meppstas wrote: KG whiting are illegal to use as live bait there. I don't it's changed either.

cheers
Adrian
I couldn't find any where that prohibits the use of KGW as bait , live or dead as long as they were over 31 cm and you didn't have more than 12

a 31 cm kgw as a live bait is just a snack for these things

my live baits were well over the min length -
Fair enough cheater, I'm going back years now mate. A lot has changed from back those days. Back then it was even illegal to use the KGW heads in a crab net which was a stupid law too. I has a fisheries officer talking about booking me because i had gutted the whiting at sea before having the boat on the trailer and back on land. I was at the boat ramp at the time too. He said I could be charged with mutilating the fish.. still had the heads on them and they were all legal size which saved my arse.. plus I had to bite my tongue and not go off at him.. :oops:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Return to “Kayak Fishing”