some kayak surfing and re entry practice

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

some kayak surfing and re entry practice

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:10 pm

Saturday a mate Leejo and myself headed to Cleeland Bight for a bit of a paddle and to troll some lures , Leejo has just upgraded kayaks for something a bit better off shore ( upgrading from a hobie revo to a Steath Profisha 575 ) - we headed out to the end of Cape Woolamai I got one hit and no hook up then Leejo pulled a small Couta ( my guess thats what tugged on my line as well ) anyway it was a bit bumpy the forecast said the swell was up around 2 meters ( maybe but I don't think it was ) but a bit of side chop back off the rocks made it a bit more uncomfortable any way we headed back in and though why not head over to the middle sand spit and surf a wave

so after a couple of attempts to catch the swell a bit wider off the main wall Leejo got brave and I remember him saying this is the spot and yes he was right about a 1 meter wall just stood up and his new 575 was off down the wave nose digging in and the yak whet sideways ( a little lack of bracing , he's still learning this paddle thing ) and leejo was swimming and the yak in the wash heading towards the deeper water 100 meters away -- I told him to float around while I headed down to tow his yak back catching a nice little ride on the way - my GPS showed a new top speed of 23.2 Kph so that was zipping along ( it's fun when it works ) getting to the his yak and turning it back on its wheels - the next problem what to tow it with ( no tow rope ) I used my paddle leash cliped to his kayak and moved it back to him - the tide running in and Leejo swimming he had made have the distance to his yak anyway

next problem with the time in the water his dry pants now had quite a bit of water in them and re mounting was going to be a problem so we got to practice an assisted re entry ( me on one side and helping him get back in and we were back on our way in

I must say a kind fisho in a tinny saw the action and motered over to ask if we needed any help which was good of him - of cause we thanked him very much

I am now building a 15 meter tow rope like the sea kayakers tend to use to stow on my kayak lets face it it could happen again maybe off shore with a kayak being caught by wind if a mate goes in and looses the yak

so a nice little work out if only 10 kms on the paddle

and today a few of us hit up Anglesea for some surf launch practice and some damm hard work, the surf was rough ( not huge ) but choppy and relentless it was hard to time when you could turn your yak the intervals between waves were very short
I got ended up in the drink twice with the choppy waves tricking me on the way in and re mounted in the surf zone it was both hard work and interesting having to hold the yak by the nose for bigger waves to go before attempting getting back on and little time before the next one -- happy to say I survived and really the conditions in the surf zone are worse that most practice in , I'm pretty happy with my effort also pretty sure I can get back on in any conditions I fish in

Leejo went pretty good today getting out and in most of the way on his fist try ( a little shorey got him ) and latter being braver taking on some bigger waves took a long swim in while a couple of us went down the beach to rescue his kayak

I think we all fell in at some stage but again a good learning curve for thouse beach launches and getting off shore by kayak
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Bugatti

Re: some kayak surfing and re entry practice

Post by Bugatti » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:24 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:10 pm

Leejo got brave and I remember him saying this is the spot and yes he was right about a 1 meter wall just stood up and his new 575 was off down the wave nose digging in and the yak whet sideways ( a little lack of bracing , he's still learning this paddle thing ) and leejo was swimming and the yak in the wash heading towards the deeper water 100 meters away

Today a few of us hit up Anglesea for some surf launch practice

I think we all fell in at some stage but again a good learning curve for those beach launches and getting off shore by kayak

I thought I'd bump this thread up , , , , and a bonus that the forum member is still here , , , , the sea never took him , , , , and he also hasn't joined the "exodus"

This post from Cheater, highlights the dangers out there and as Lieutenant-General Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell (founder of the Scouting movement) and any good Boy Scout would say , , , , Be prepared

Safety is paramount and anything additional can only be a good thing , , , , Kayaking with another, practising, AND like cheaterparts , , , , learning and making sure that for the next trip, you have your arsenal of gear , , , , in this case, the addition of a tow rope :a_goodjob:

Cheers, Bugatti , , , , yes, I was a Scout , , , , another thing you now know about The Bug

Bug Scout.PNG

Hey, I never said I was a good Scout ;-)

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:36 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:24 pm

Safety is paramount and anything additional can only be a good thing , , , , Kayaking with another, practising, AND like cheaterparts , , , , learning and making sure that for the next trip, you have your arsenal of gear , , , , in this case, the addition of a tow rope
yes it is an older post Mr Bug but you are right " Safety is paramount " and practice is the key -- the last thing you need to practice when you take a tumble by accident is how to get back on - you should already know the way you are going to go about it
std drills how do I put the Kayak upright - where are the handles or grips to hold to get back on -

not only that you need to practice remounts in the conditions that you are going to be out in - not much use practising only on calm days - guess when you are more likely to end up in having an unplanned swim

it doesn't hurt to know how you would assist another guy back on there kayak ether - I've had to do it before for real and in the start of this thread I assisted my mate back on not because he couldn't have done so himself - it would have be hard work with his dry pants carrying water but again it was good practice
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:52 pm

Hey cheater - are yaks too heavy to have an arm or leg rope ???
You've missed a couple of cod trips, btw
Gra

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:21 pm

Texas wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:52 pm
Hey cheater - are yaks too heavy to have an arm or leg rope ???
You've missed a couple of cod trips, btw
Gra
yes the Cod trips run close to our trip north each year to South West Rocks - I love the trip away on the Murray but fishing off shore in the yak at SWRs , Coffs or my new favoured spot Scotts head is hard to pass up

as for a leg rope it's not a bad idea , down wind racers use them -- on a kayak though it's more gear to tangle in
unlike a down wind racer we dont just sit in one position -- we turn around at times to get gear out of the back - could be sitting side saddle vertical jigging or sitting on it like a surfer on a surf board + in many cases a leg rope just doesn't fit in the foot well with your foot
My kayak PBs

Cheater

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:33 pm

Could you put a 2 foot spring rope to your waste like boaters ment to for the ignition key

Return to “Kayak Fishing”