Fishing Kayak

Bartnmax

Re: Fishing Kayak

Post by Bartnmax » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:45 am

Yeah overall I reckon the PA is probably about as good an all-round fishing yak as is currently available, but it also comes with a premium price tag.
For someone that can't afford the price of a PA there are some extremely good options at lower prices, includsing so,me of the ther Hobie models such as the outback, etc.

Generally speaking, I reckon if the budget stretches to it, then go the PA, but if the budget doesn't allow for a PA there are some great other yaks available.
My #1 choice is the PA. #2 is the NWC Mariner & #3 is the NWC Ultimate angler.
But they're just my preferences.
Last edited by Bartnmax on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mick.S

Post by Mick.S » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:57 am

This is the thing, the new PA12, 2012/2013 model, retail price is $3500 just the kayak, by the time you get all the bits and pieces for fishing, you are looking $4K +..... even tho I like the PAs and are top of my preference, the reality and financial situation will prevail :).....PAs are not very frequent on ebay, and I'm hoping that as the new PA model hits the consumer market, some of the guys may start selling their older PAs.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:13 am

Mick.S wrote:This is the thing, the new PA12, 2012/2013 model, retail price is $3500 just the kayak, by the time you get all the bits and pieces for fishing, you are looking $4K +..... even tho I like the PAs and are top of my preference, the reality and financial situation will prevail :).....PAs are not very frequent on ebay, and I'm hoping that as the new PA model hits the consumer market, some of the guys may start selling their older PAs.
even the older PAs hold a fairly high price tag
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Mick.S

Post by Mick.S » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:57 pm

No doubt but at least you can get them fully set up for about $3k maybe less, but you got to be quick :)

Linc

Post by Linc » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:51 pm

Mick.S wrote:No doubt but at least you can get them fully set up for about $3k maybe less, but you got to be quick :)
You won't get a very well fitted out PA for under $3000 no matter how old it is, unless it's really beaten up, my 2010 model got gobbled up at $3500 very quickly, I worked out that I'd spent around $4600 in total on all the extras I had on it (fish finder, hobie livewell, rod holders etc) so it was still a good deal for someone. The new ones are much more user-friendly looking too being on the bit smaller side, my only wish was that mine could go on a diet as hauling the 40+ kg onto the roof racks by myself was never an easy feat even with the rack & roll system.

I agree Hobie evo's would be more within the budget if you can find a second hand one and I have heard nothing but good reports on those.

Also in regards to getting back into a PA if you fall out or jump out - yes it is very easy... However if you manage to flip a PA, it's not easy to flip it back over. Only happened to me once while beaching on the surf, and I learned to never put myself into a situation where it would happen again!

CremeDeLaCreme
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CremeDeLaCreme » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:14 am

this seems like a good deal to me reduced from $1099 to $399

The question is it it worth the hassle to kit out, and any good for fishing Port Phillip Bay?

If it is a good deal, what extras would you need to buy?

Addicted to fishing since 1973

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:29 am

CremeDeLaCreme wrote:this seems like a good deal to me reduced from $1099 to $399

The question is it it worth the hassle to kit out, and any good for fishing Port Phillip Bay?

If it is a good deal, what extras would you need to buy?

you alway need to ask you self is how do they track and how hard are they to cover distance
you may think I'm only going to go so far but the more yak fishing you do the futher you will push to get to that prise fish
also do they carry enough weight or are they on the edge with just the paddler t is surprising how much gear some carry - me included

things worth thinking about before you buy
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:52 am

Just an alternative option but how about a tinny.

For the same $$$ you could get something very good second hand or budget brand new.

My brother used to yak but has moved to a tinny, cost is about the same but the tinny gives many more options.

Mick.S

Post by Mick.S » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:18 am

I could be wrong, but I would need:
Boat license, motor servicing, it will occupy the whole garage, would need to use a boat ramp etc...some of the things that jump out.

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:27 am

Mick.S wrote:I could be wrong, but I would need:
Boat license, motor servicing, it will occupy the whole garage, would need to use a boat ramp etc...some of the things that jump out.
a light tinny can be launched off the beach, also can be hung up or tipped on its side in the shed? boat licence is a piece of cake, motor servicing....well yeah dunno how much that would be

Return to “Kayak Fishing”