Winter kayak attire.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Winter kayak attire.

Post by laneends » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 pm

wet suits are ok for keeping you warm if you do end up in the drink, but they are not great for the 99.9% of the time you are out of the water when its cold. If you are paddling they can make you sweat like a pig, which then gets cold when you are not moving.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:32 pm

laneends wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:28 pm
rb85 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:07 pm
smokin_reels wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:41 pm
get drypants from Scott Lovig down in mornington. They are a life changer. i usually wear trackpants\thermals and then the dry pant over that.
Im still looking for good top options at the moment.
Thanks mate il check them out.
Jacket too if you can afford them.

look at polypro thermals, they stay warm if wet, layered lightweight fleeces etc.
Thanks Laneeds

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:38 pm

Explorer socks keep you warm even when damp.
I’ll wear up to 4 layers of thermal long johns depending on how cold it is. I’ll put the good ones on first because they’ll wick a bit of the water away from your skin. Dry pants over the top, mine have been extremely well used and leak a bit but the main thing is they keep the wind off so even if you get a bit damp you don’t have the wind chill to deal with.

I’ve got an adrenaline paddling top now which is awesome, like extra thick thermals. Keeps you warm even when wet. I’ll wear thermals over the top of that if needed. A spray jacket over the top keeps a bit of the water off but also stops a lot of the wind, and is also hi vis so hopefully I don’t get run over.

Neoprene is good, can be a challenge to **** out of depending on the design of your wetsuit. Long sleeve wetsuits can chafe your armpits something shocking. When I wore a wetsuit I used to wear thermals under it and a spray jacket over the top, I’ve found more layers of thermals plus dry pants to be easier to use though.

Dress to get wet, over winter the bays can cool down enough to kill you fairly quickly if you fall in under dressed even if the air temp is not unpleasant. If you get hot stick your legs over the sides.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:43 pm

Cheers 4liters I have a few wetsuits know all about chafing.
Won't be fishing exposed waters I have a boat for that but the mangroves around the port are an area I'm keen to explore.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:48 pm

laneends wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 pm
wet suits are ok for keeping you warm if you do end up in the drink, but they are not great for the 99.9% of the time you are out of the water when its cold. If you are paddling they can make you sweat like a pig, which then gets cold when you are not moving.
That was my thought great for surfing/diving but definitely not suitable for above water activities my concern is launching the yak and keeping legs warm and contingency in case of fall in the drink.

Have a stormy jacket that would be warm and keep the upper torso dry. Wont stop freezing hypothermic water.

AzCoy7
Has liked: 2 times

Post by AzCoy7 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:48 pm

If your wetsuit is too thin for the water you are throwing yourself into put on a thin wetsuit top, a thermal lycra or neoprene shorts and then your wetsuit. You will get some extra insulation and will stay warmer. ... It's not like a law or something but most people don't wear anything under their wetsuits.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:56 pm

rb85 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:48 pm
laneends wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 pm
That was my thought great for surfing/diving but definitely not suitable for above water activities my concern is launching the yak and keeping legs warm and contingency in case of fall in the drink.

Dry pants and something like this is probably the way to go then: https://seasherpa.com.au/collections/ap ... ddle-pants
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:03 pm

They look great 4l cheers

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:13 pm

AzCoy7 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:48 pm
If your wetsuit is too thin for the water you are throwing yourself into put on a thin wetsuit top, a thermal lycra or neoprene shorts and then your wetsuit. You will get some extra insulation and will stay warmer. ... It's not like a law or something but most people don't wear anything under their wetsuits.
AzCoy I dont plan on getting wet a wetsuit is designed to keep you warm immersed in cold water. I want to stay dry and warm the other guys have been very helpful I don't think your experienced like these guys. Thanks for trying

AzCoy7
Has liked: 2 times

Post by AzCoy7 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:16 pm

Ok. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”