Sounder for kayak angling.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Sounder for kayak angling.

Post by rb85 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:14 pm

Friends I am considering purchasing a sounder for my kayak (Hobie outback) Was interested on what guys here use.
Now I’m aware that Hobie has the lowrance cover on the hull I’m leaning towards hummingbird if I can fit it.

The style of fishing I use it for is solely lure casting bass,ep’s hopefully some bream and barra so I believe sidescan would be vital as well as dowmscan.

Any info would be appreciated cheers.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Sounder for kayak angling.

Post by 4liters » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:31 pm

I’ve been through 3 lowrance sounders in less than 12 months, not sure if they’re cut out for kayak fishing.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rb85

Post by rb85 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:14 pm

What went wrong

IFISHALOT
Has liked: 38 times

Post by IFISHALOT » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:03 pm

I currently use the Lowrance Hook 2 7.
I've found it great Downscan and Sidescan and no need for any adjustment the unit does it 4 you.
Use to run the Elite 5, both are perfect for the Yak and Lure throwing
Associated with Strike Pro, Jigstar, Daiichi, Lumica, Mapso, Bushranger Lures, Eureka Lures, Senshi, Sax Scent, TiCA, Victory Knives, Tonic Sunglasses & McLaughlin's Bait[url]http://www.jurofishing.com

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:03 pm

Garmin Striker 7SV. $599 in current bargain boat bits catalogue. No maps unless you create your own, but does everything else (and in my opinion better than Lowrance of equivilant value).

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:44 pm

I dont know how it would go on a kayak, but i upgraded to the Lowrance Ti2 7 earlier this year and am absolutely loving it. I have seen videos on YouTube with people using the same unit on a kayak, but i feel like the smaller 5 inch version might be the way to go so that it doesnt get in your way.

The side scan feature alone is worth the price IMO. For the first time i can truly see what is going on under the boat in terms of bottom structure. And the ability to drift back over the EXACT same ground using the trails feature on the chart has definitely increased our hook up rate for squid. On my old non GPS unit our hook up rate on just guessing our previous drift was maybe 50% at best, but now it is probably up over 90% for each drift if the squid are still on the bite.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:04 pm

I've got a hobie outback as well, currently run a elite ti 7 but should be grabbing a elite ti2 9 shortly. Main reason for upgrade is the clarity from the active imaging transducer.

Once you start looking at the units with sidescan the lowrance ready doesn't make as much of a difference, just check if berleypro have made a shield for the transducer your unit comes with and grab one of those. Easy to chuck on and super durable to protect your transducer.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:14 pm

Thanks for the replies and info guys have been looking at the burley pro products will keep an eye on the sales. As long as it’s easy to setup before launching and still able to rooftop my yak it’s a go.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:14 pm

rb85 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:14 pm
Thanks for the replies and info guys have been looking at the burley pro products will keep an eye on the sales. As long as it’s easy to setup before launching and still able to rooftop my yak it’s a go.
On the outback the transducer shield sticks out a bit. You might have to change how you get your kayak onto the roof a little bit and move where the roof racks sit. Doesn't effect the setup for launch just a permanent fixture on your hull.

Highly recommend the berleypro products outside of the transducer covers as well. I have a pair of the side bros, visor for my sounder and use one of the mast mounts for my battery.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:02 pm

Thanks mate was checking them out last night will start saving. This is my mistress the boat is my wife lol priorities.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”