4liters wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:32 am
cobby wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:57 pm
4liters wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm
cobby wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:03 pm
Garmin Striker 7SV. $599 in current bargain boat bits catalogue. No maps unless you create your own, but does everything else (and in my opinion better than Lowrance of equivilant value).
Any idea what transducer I should be looking at if I want to be able to pick up enough detail in 150m to easily identify bait schools and features like reefs, wreaks etc? I'd also like to be able to use it in shallower water.

It may well be the case that I can do this with a basic sounder if I play with the settings a bit but I know **** all about marine electronics and I'm not sure what the various models are capable of.

Obviously I could get a 1kw transducer with all the bells and whistles but ideally I just want the cheapest unit that will do the job.
You won't get any downscan or sidescan at that depth. But any basic sounder with its in box transducer should be fine to 150m. Garmin website list the transducer model that comes with each sounder and also have a separate transducer page with all their specs. Don't know if lowrance have the same. The higher wattage the deeper the read, if the headunit can produce enough power

I know the gt52hw that comes with striker and echomap 7+9" models works ok to 210m. The dearer gt51 will read deeper
BUMP!

It's nearly time to pull the trigger on one of these things, I'm tossing up between these two but they both have a their own potential advantages/drawbacks from what I can see online.

https://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/Gar ... inder.html
- gt52hw transducer (so in theory will they work to the same depth??)
- no built in maps
- may be able to download maps onto the unit via an app/wifi
- $450 cheaper
- I think this should be compatible with the GT20-TM transducer in the other kayak which means I can sell the Striker 5 head unit I have and swap the new head unit between the two kayaks.

https://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/Gar ... Combo.html
- includes maps
- $450 more expensive

The big question is whether I can download maps and put them on the Striker via the app (I have no idea if I can get some open source maps for free and use those - I'll do it that way if I can but for the purposes of this I'll assume I have to pay for them). Does anyone know if this is the case? I can't see any mention of transferring maps onto the Striker online.

Another question is whether the EchoMap unit has better internal electronics that will get more out of the same transducer compared to the Striker, and if so what sort of difference I might expect? The descriptions on the links above suggest the EchoMap will go deeper, although they both say they have CHIRP.

If the EchoMap head unit is be compatible with the GT20-TM transducer on the other kayak that might sway me in that direction if I can't download maps onto the Striker.

It's a shame the more powerful transducers don't come with a smaller head unit, I don't really need a 7" screen as I'm sitting less than a meter away from it at all times.
Ok the extra $450 gives you a touch screen and Australia wide inbuilt maps with the ability to add more detailed maps via Bluechart or Navionics cards.

While the striker series can have some mapping either downloaded to it via active captain community or doing your own map drawing when fishing it can only store a comparatively limited amount of area data and without the possibility of adding a dedicated maps card. The echomaps also have the same capability to expand detail of their base map via active captain or quickdraw which is handy for frequently visited areas.

The pins in both units should be the same so if the gt20 is listed to work with the striker it should plug straight into the echomap no questions asked. Edit: Garmin list the gt20 as compatible with the echomap

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Sounder for kayak angling.

Post by 4liters » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:14 am

cobby wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:15 am
4liters wrote:
cobby wrote:
4liters wrote:
cobby wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:03 pm
Garmin Striker 7SV. $599 in current bargain boat bits catalogue. No maps unless you create your own, but does everything else (and in my opinion better than Lowrance of equivilant value).
Any idea what transducer I should be looking at if I want to be able to pick up enough detail in 150m to easily identify bait schools and features like reefs, wreaks etc? I'd also like to be able to use it in shallower water.

It may well be the case that I can do this with a basic sounder if I play with the settings a bit but I know **** all about marine electronics and I'm not sure what the various models are capable of.

Obviously I could get a 1kw transducer with all the bells and whistles but ideally I just want the cheapest unit that will do the job.
You won't get any downscan or sidescan at that depth. But any basic sounder with its in box transducer should be fine to 150m. Garmin website list the transducer model that comes with each sounder and also have a separate transducer page with all their specs. Don't know if lowrance have the same. The higher wattage the deeper the read, if the headunit can produce enough power

I know the gt52hw that comes with striker and echomap 7+9" models works ok to 210m. The dearer gt51 will read deeper
BUMP!

It's nearly time to pull the trigger on one of these things, I'm tossing up between these two but they both have a their own potential advantages/drawbacks from what I can see online.

- no built in maps
- $450 cheaper
- I think this should be compatible with the GT20-TM transducer in the other kayak which means I can sell the Striker 5 head unit I have and swap the new head unit between the two kayaks.

- includes maps
- $450 more expensive

The big question is whether I can download maps and put them on the Striker via the app (I have no idea if I can get some open source maps for free and use those - I'll do it that way if I can but for the purposes of this I'll assume I have to pay for them). Does anyone know if this is the case? I can't see any mention of transferring maps onto the Striker online.

Another question is whether the EchoMap unit has better internal electronics that will get more out of the same transducer compared to the Striker, and if so what sort of difference I might expect? The descriptions on the links above suggest the EchoMap will go deeper, although they both say they have CHIRP.

If the EchoMap head unit is be compatible with the GT20-TM transducer on the other kayak that might sway me in that direction if I can't download maps onto the Striker.

It's a shame the more powerful transducers don't come with a smaller head unit, I don't really need a 7" screen as I'm sitting less than a meter away from it at all times.
Ok the extra $450 gives you a touch screen and Australia wide inbuilt maps with the ability to add more detailed maps via Bluechart or Navionics cards.

While the striker series can have some mapping either downloaded to it via active captain community or doing your own map drawing when fishing it can only store a comparatively limited amount of area data and without the possibility of adding a dedicated maps card. The echomaps also have the same capability to expand detail of their base map via active captain or quickdraw which is handy for frequently visited areas.

The pins in both units should be the same so if the gt20 is listed to work with the striker it should plug straight into the echomap no questions asked. Edit: Garmin list the gt20 as compatible with the echomap
Cheers. Sounds like the EchoMap is the way to go. I might see if the local Bargain Boat Bits dealer can sort something out re getting a smaller unit with the better transducer but I'm not overly optimistic.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:37 am

cobby wrote:

I forgot to ask, have you had any experience using the touch screen with wet fingers?
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:10 am

4liters wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:36 pm
Sounds like he needs to upgrade to some other fishing kayak
We are still waiting for one with a scupper mount but atm only come on short plastic or pedal kayaks.

I dropped in on Eoins factory yesterday he is getting set up so it won’t be long before he is pumping out his skis
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:59 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:10 am
4liters wrote:
We are still waiting for one with a scupper mount but atm only come on short plastic or pedal kayaks.

I dropped in on Eoins factory yesterday he is getting set up so it won’t be long before he is pumping out his skis
If only people stopped breaking their boats and distracting him :oo:

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:06 pm

laneends wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:59 pm
cheaterparts wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:10 am
4liters wrote:

If only people stopped breaking their boats and distracting him :oo:
Indeed.

Or getting him to freshen up boats for sale

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:42 pm

4liters wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:14 am
cobby wrote:
4liters wrote:
cobby wrote:
4liters wrote:

BUMP!

- no built in maps
- $450 cheaper

- includes maps
- $450 more expensive

Cheers. Sounds like the EchoMap is the way to go. I might see if the local Bargain Boat Bits dealer can sort something out re getting a smaller unit with the better transducer but I'm not overly optimistic.
It may work, but you're basically buying a $500 transducer to not use it to its full potential given no Garmin unit under the 7" can use sidevu that the gt52hw is capable of.

As an aside, the current echomap plus 65cv uses the gt22hw, which is identical in specs to the gt52hw minus sidevu. But the unit is almost 22cm in width, the 75sv that comes with the gt52hw is only marginally bigger at 25cm width. But you gain a slightly larger screen with easier menus via the touchscreen and the sidevu capability.
And I haven't used a touchscreen model, only the almost identical previous model without touch

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:22 am

cobby wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:42 pm
4liters wrote:
cobby wrote:
4liters wrote:
cobby wrote:

BUMP!

- no built in maps
- $450 cheaper

- includes maps
- $450 more expensive

It may work, but you're basically buying a $500 transducer to not use it to its full potential given no Garmin unit under the 7" can use sidevu that the gt52hw is capable of.

As an aside, the current echomap plus 65cv uses the gt22hw, which is identical in specs to the gt52hw minus sidevu. But the unit is almost 22cm in width, the 75sv that comes with the gt52hw is only marginally bigger at 25cm width. But you gain a slightly larger screen with easier menus via the touchscreen and the sidevu capability.
And I haven't used a touchscreen model, only the almost identical previous model without touch
Good point - I'd been looking at the specs on the CH Smith website, it's a bit easier to navigate than Garmin's. They've got the GT52HW as working at a much greater depth compared to the GT22HW. However comparing the two on Garmin's site, they have the same depth... I've sent Garmin an email to confirm.

I probably wouldn't use the sidevu much on this kayak, it'll be mostly trolling for pelagics and bottom bashing for flatties and other things out wider. The transducer will be in a bit of a recess as well which might get in the way of any side scan functions.

The guys at the boat shop reckon the touch screen is difficult to use when wet, drops of water on it apparently sometimes trick it into thinking someone is pressing on it and it locks the screen. I'm not that fussed about the screen size, I'm sitting less than a meter from it so a smaller picture doesn't affect me that much. The main advantage would be having a section focusing on the bottom 10m or something to pick up reefs in deeper water.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:44 am

4liters wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:22 am
cobby wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:42 pm
4liters wrote:
cobby wrote:
4liters wrote:

BUMP!

- no built in maps
- $450 cheaper

- includes maps
- $450 more expensive

Good point - I'd been looking at the specs on the CH Smith website, it's a bit easier to navigate than Garmin's. They've got the GT52HW as working at a much greater depth compared to the GT22HW. However comparing the two on Garmin's site, they have the same depth... I've sent Garmin an email to confirm.

I probably wouldn't use the sidevu much on this kayak, it'll be mostly trolling for pelagics and bottom bashing for flatties and other things out wider. The transducer will be in a bit of a recess as well which might get in the way of any side scan functions.

The guys at the boat shop reckon the touch screen is difficult to use when wet, drops of water on it apparently sometimes trick it into thinking someone is pressing on it and it locks the screen. I'm not that fussed about the screen size, I'm sitting less than a meter from it so a smaller picture doesn't affect me that much. The main advantage would be having a section focusing on the bottom 10m or something to pick up reefs in deeper water.
They're wrong. Power specs between a gt22 and gt52 are dead identical. The gt51 is more powerful.

Then it's settled. Save money and buy the echomap 65cv that doesn't have a touchscreen

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:47 am

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. I've emailed Garmin just to confirm (which I probably should have done from the outset lol) but 65cv seems to be the way to go.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”