Has liked: 303 times

Re: First Gummy

Post by Kimtown » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:21 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:11 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:01 am
Congrats mate!

Hard to believe someone who fishes as often as you do has never targeted/caught a gummy before. You have the right area correct but most times I fish even shallower, right up on the mud flats for gummies. 1 - 1.5m. Whole banana prawns are a great bait too for the upper reaches of WP (no idea why though as their aren't any prawns in there lol)
Yeah, just the way it goes KT. Hopefully get more gummies next time.
Ive targetted them a handful of times and have had varied results ranging from a 1.46m landbased school shark to big bite off from what i think was a bronzie. Just cant pick what smokes me reel off the beach.

:super:
Damn!

I'd give up a lifetime worth of gummies for a good schoolie and bronzie.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:24 pm

Texas wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:26 pm
smokin_reels wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:13 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:01 am
Congrats mate!

Hard to believe someone who fishes as often as you do has never targeted/caught a gummy before. You have the right area correct but most times I fish even shallower, right up on the mud flats for gummies. 1 - 1.5m. Whole banana prawns are a great bait too for the upper reaches of WP (no idea why though as their aren't any prawns in there lol)
Will try shallower next time, i was told that there is an issue with prawns have whitespot?
vaguely remember them being discouraged as bait.
Banana prawns are Australian
The imported ones had white spot & should not be used as bait
There was an outbreak of white spot in the queensland prawn farms, an announcement released not to use ANY food grade prawns including banana prawns. However they dont seem to make a big deal of it lately and enquiries to dept of agriculture have resulted in ambiguous relies, so many have gone back to using them,

Prawns are nearest thing to mantis shrimp which the gummies feed on in WP along with crabs

John Dory

Post by John Dory » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:40 pm

Have any of you guys used whole crabs for Gummy bait?
I’ve seen guys in the UK on you tube do it.9

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:27 pm

Well done Aaron, did it fight dirty and head for the anchor rope? Happens to me more often than not!

I haven’t been to western port since authorities urged anglers not to use banana prawns, but have heard reports from a few people that Australian mantis shrimp is a good substitute when fishing for gummies on the flats in WP and can be purchased from the Springvale market.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:34 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:27 pm
Well done Aaron, did it fight dirty and head for the anchor rope? Happens to me more often than not!

I haven’t been to western port since authorities urged anglers not to use banana prawns, but have heard reports from a few people that Australian mantis shrimp is a good substitute when fishing for gummies on the flats in WP and can be purchased from the Springvale market.
They are a strange looking creature. I assume people actually eat them if they sell them at the market?

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:57 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:34 pm
Tim399 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:27 pm

They are a strange looking creature. I assume people actually eat them if they sell them at the market?
I would assume so, can’t say I’ve ever tried eating them! My mate had one as a pet in a fish tank, they’re cool little critters, very aggressive though. I have also heard from multiple people that after landing and dispatching the first keeper gummy, emptying it’s stomach contents and using the crabs and mantis shrimp (even if half digested) to catch the next gummy works well, as you are then matching the exact bait they are feeding on

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:36 pm

John Dory wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:40 pm
Have any of you guys used whole crabs for Gummy bait?
I’ve seen guys in the UK on you tube do it.9
Some kayakers turn over the stones on the shore to find the small crabs that they feed on. Works well apparently if you take the time.

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:52 am

Well in mate! I have spent countless hours the last month trying to land a gummy in the bay with no luck. :(

Return to “Kayak Fishing”