Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: First Gummy

Post by Lightningx » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:25 am

laneends wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:36 pm
John Dory wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:40 pm
Have any of you guys used whole crabs for Gummy bait?
I’ve seen guys in the UK on you tube do it.9
Some kayakers turn over the stones on the shore to find the small crabs that they feed on. Works well apparently if you take the time.
I have never taken the time to collect them myself but have heard they are a top bait for them as well :thumbsup:

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:27 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:27 pm
Well done Aaron, did it fight dirty and head for the anchor rope? Happens to me more often than not!

I haven’t been to western port since authorities urged anglers not to use banana prawns, but have heard reports from a few people that Australian mantis shrimp is a good substitute when fishing for gummies on the flats in WP and can be purchased from the Springvale market.
Tim, do you ever get them as by catch off miller rd in snapper season?
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:08 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:27 pm
Tim399 wrote:
Well done Aaron, did it fight dirty and head for the anchor rope? Happens to me more often than not!

I haven’t been to western port since authorities urged anglers not to use banana prawns, but have heard reports from a few people that Australian mantis shrimp is a good substitute when fishing for gummies on the flats in WP and can be purchased from the Springvale market.
I haven’t caught a gummy in the “big red” peak of snapper season, but have caught them as the peak season tapers off. Most of my gummy captures around Altona have also been in and passed the Apex area. That’s not to say sharks are not around, a mate had his snapper stolen boatside by a thresher shark at altona last snapper season, not too far from the shore. One would think the mass dumping of burley into the popular areas would be sure to bring in some gummies

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:46 pm

Tim399 wrote:

when was the last time you purchased mantis shrimp for springvale market .i know there was a hell of alot of mantis caught in wp last season for some strange reason

Tim399

Post by Tim399 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:54 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:46 pm
Tim399 wrote:

when was the last time you purchased mantis shrimp for springvale market .i know there was a hell of alot of mantis caught in wp last season for some strange reason
Dazz I haven’t purchased them for over a year now, because I haven’t done any WP trips for a while. From memory someone on another fishing forum purchased them from Springvale more recently. I called ahead to make sure they had them last time I got some as it is quiet a drive for me.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:01 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:54 pm
dazz999 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:46 pm
Tim399 wrote:

Dazz I haven’t purchased them for over a year now, because I haven’t done any WP trips for a while. From memory someone on another fishing forum purchased them from Springvale more recently. I called ahead to make sure they had them last time I got some as it is quiet a drive for me.
Thank,s Tim when you get time can you pm their number

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:54 am

Tim399 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:08 pm
smokin_reels wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:27 pm
Tim399 wrote:

I haven’t caught a gummy in the “big red” peak of snapper season, but have caught them as the peak season tapers off. Most of my gummy captures around Altona have also been in and passed the Apex area. That’s not to say sharks are not around, a mate had his snapper stolen boatside by a thresher shark at altona last snapper season, not too far from the shore. One would think the mass dumping of burley into the popular areas would be sure to bring in some gummies
Hi Tim,

Just to clarify when you say 'Apex area' you mean in front of Apex park where the circus sets up?

I've been trying for a while to get a gummy launching off Altona with no results, any tips would help!

Cheers

Tim399

Post by Tim399 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:54 pm

Hi Robbie,

Not sure about the circus but anywhere from apex beach to point cook holds gummy sharks, not in as big numbers as say western port, but most trips when I drift for flathead bouncing baits I will pick up at least one gummy (not always legal size). Usually in water 4m and deeper

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:09 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:25 am
laneends wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:36 pm
John Dory wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:40 pm
Have any of you guys used whole crabs for Gummy bait?
I’ve seen guys in the UK on you tube do it.9
Some kayakers turn over the stones on the shore to find the small crabs that they feed on. Works well apparently if you take the time.
I have never taken the time to collect them myself but have heard they are a top bait for them as well :thumbsup:
I.used a crab once.
Got a hit but missed the take.

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:51 am

Tim399 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:54 pm
Hi Robbie,

Not sure about the circus but anywhere from apex beach to point cook holds gummy sharks, not in as big numbers as say western port, but most trips when I drift for flathead bouncing baits I will pick up at least one gummy (not always legal size). Usually in water 4m and deeper

Thanks Tim, i'll give this area a crack soon. :thumbsup:

Return to “Kayak Fishing”