Re-entry onto a Kayak - Options?

Post by Bugatti » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:25 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:18 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:56 pm
Tim399 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:44 pm
Something else worth considering is re-entry access for whichever kayak you end up buying. For this reason I have left a clear path from the stern of my kayak to the seat as it is easiest to re-mount from the stern, because the sides are a little on the high side with the rails and fishing rod holders. If there was a crate or esky taking up the rear well I would have to scramble over this in presumably rough weather (less likely to capsize in calm weather).
Safety should always come before convenience :thumbsup:
Fair point. What's the alternative solution for storage? if its not a crate behind the seat. Seems to be very common and popular to have a crate behind the seat.
Often rods and net. More obstacles for re-entry via stern.

Tim makes a very good point. As I'm a Yak Hack and not knowing much about it, I was thinking that too "What's the alternative solution for storage?", with the limited options and space on a Yak

Cheers Bugs

With myself being an inquisitive Car (sticky beak to some), the storage solution of Seb's thread, raised another issue, and I thought not to hijack Seb's thread

Stern re-entry/re-boarding of a Yak, is Tim399 preference.

Why Stern re-boarding in-lieu of any other side?

And, are there other/better options other than stern re-boarding?

Cheers, Bugatti

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Re: Re-entry onto a Kayak - Options?

Post by croe04 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:37 pm

Personally I do re-entires on the hull, parallel to where your legs would be if you were sitting in the yak. This is mostly because it's just the way I learned to do it, and usually there are hand-holds on either side of the hull, which gives you something secure to hold onto.
This may not be universal fact but something i've noticed while practicing wet exits with my dad is that he had a habit of kicking in the water while holding onto the side of his yak, which preventing him from getting back on as his legs would move under the hull as he kicked, and he wouldn't have enough leverage to pull them up. I told him to stop kicking and just let his legs float upwards to the surface, and by waiting a couple seconds without frantically kicking he was easily able to re-board.

Also - if you are new to kayaking, PRACTICE WET EXITS AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. You never know when you're going to capsize, and you're going to be in a very sticky situation if you're out in open water with an upside-down kayak having never practiced getting back on it, particularly if it has no drainage systems and is taking on water. Practicing wet exits in a controlled environment is one of the primary things you should be doing before going out on a yak.

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:47 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:25 pm
Bugatti wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:18 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:56 pm
Tim399 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:44 pm
Something else worth considering is re-entry access for whichever kayak you end up buying. For this reason I have left a clear path from the stern of my kayak to the seat as it is easiest to re-mount from the stern, because the sides are a little on the high side with the rails and fishing rod holders. If there was a crate or esky taking up the rear well I would have to scramble over this in presumably rough weather (less likely to capsize in calm weather).
Safety should always come before convenience :thumbsup:
Fair point. What's the alternative solution for storage? if its not a crate behind the seat. Seems to be very common and popular to have a crate behind the seat.
Often rods and net. More obstacles for re-entry via stern.

Tim makes a very good point. As I'm a Yak Hack and not knowing much about it, I was thinking that too "What's the alternative solution for storage?", with the limited options and space on a Yak

Cheers Bugs

With myself being an inquisitive Car (sticky beak to some), the storage solution of Seb's thread, raised another issue, and I thought not to hijack Seb's thread

Stern re-entry/re-boarding of a Yak, is Tim399 preference.

Why Stern re-boarding in-lieu of any other side?

And, are there other/better options other than stern re-boarding?

Cheers, Bugatti
Different kayak types and different fitness levels will depict how to get back on the kayak in the time of need. My kayak is over 4m long, nearly 1m wide and has great primary stability, which is why re mounting from the stern works for me. I wouldn’t try to re mount from the stern of a 3m kayak as it will just flip over you as a climb on it. This is where side mounting is better.

Getting on the water, and testing re-mounting in different ways BEFORE you have to do it for real is the best way to find out which way works best for you. After all the best person to rely on saving you is yourself.

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:02 pm

If you're using an inflatable PFD, you'll need to practice climbing on with it inflated. When the PFD is inflated it's way more difficult/awkward to get back on due to the increase in size.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:27 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:47 pm

Different kayak types and different fitness levels will depict how to get back on the kayak in the time of need. My kayak is over 4m long, nearly 1m wide and has great primary stability, which is why re mounting from the stern works for me. I wouldn’t try to re mount from the stern of a 3m kayak as it will just flip over you as a climb on it. This is where side mounting is better.

Getting on the water, and testing re-mounting in different ways BEFORE you have to do it for real is the best way to find out which way works best for you. After all the best person to rely on saving you is yourself.
as above you use what works for you - I believe re entering from the stern works well with Hobie PAs

it wouldn't work for me on my fishing ski though, to much in the way at the rear ( rod holders - EPIRB etc )
practice has showed me the easiest way ( once the kayak is back the right way up ) is to go to ether side about where the seat position is grab the handle on the opposite side and just like using a kick board both floating and kicking just pull the yak under my chest
from there it's just turn and plant my bum in the seat and get my feet over and then sit on it like on a surf board both feet in the water while sorting out the mess - this seated position has the most stability

I have practised this in the surf zone on one of our surf launch practice days - hard work timing the remount between waves
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:43 pm

When side mounting in windy conditions, best if you have the yak down wind, so it is drifting away from you. Makes getting legs to surface easier. On the other side it wants to drift over your legs. Imaging it being a float/kick board used for teaching people to swim

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:54 pm

Wow, shows how I don't have any idea about Yaks.

croe I would be like your Dad, kicking, thinking that is what you do. But by the sounds of it , , , , you pull it under you as much as you pull yourself onto it , , , , but primarily from a "floating" with your legs up position. I would have thought it would have been like getting out of a swimming pool, up and on, how wrong I am.

But one thing I have noticed, not only with these replies but with most Kayak safety comments , , , , practice in a controlled situation first

Cheers, thanks guys :thumbsup:
Bugatti

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:45 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:54 pm

But one thing I have noticed, not only with these replies but with most Kayak safety comments , , , , practice in a controlled situation first

Cheers, thanks guys :thumbsup:
Bugatti
and practice in conditions you are going to be out in - practice on a nice warm day calm day is all very good but guess what conditions you are more likely to have an unplanned dip

sometime windy and more often bumpy - and quite often when the water is bloody cold
all make the re entry harder work and to go with that there is all the stuff you can end up tangled in when that dip is un planned

so knowing what to do has to be just come as a normal day at the office
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:35 am

Wow thanks for the comments, some stuff I never thought of there. Great topic Mr Bug, thanks for starting it.

Capsized once, I panicked but lucky the water was about 1.3m and I could stand. If it was deeper and colder , I would struggle. I need to practice.

Has anyone got a swimming pool I can practice in? Preferably with couple beers, chips and chicken wings bbq :-D :cheers:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:44 pm

Following this topic, I'm becoming more and more concerned about safety lately, especially after hearing and reading more unfortunate events (missing people, capsized kayak/boat, etc.).

Do you all have EPIRB/PLB? Especially the kayak fisho and landbased fisho who fishes deep into the remote places.

I'm thinking of getting one but know nothing about them.

So they use satellite stuff, is there like a monthly subscription or something?
How long the battery can last?
And can be replaced or expired and gotta buy new?
What's the diff between EPIRB and PLB?
Why are they so expensive? Where can I get a basic cheap model?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Kayak Fishing”