Looking For a Kayak

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Looking For a Kayak

Post by wem21 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:28 pm

HI guys,
Im on the search for a kayak, and im looking to spend about 500$ on it. Are there any decent yaks in this price range? And if i do get a yak, where do I go to use it? Are there gps marks available on your phone, or do I just find a place to drift (flat sand for flatties, weed beds for squid, ect)

Cheers

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Looking For a Kayak

Post by 4liters » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Look for a second hand Wavedance Kingfisher or something imo
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

wem21

Post by wem21 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:36 pm

4liters wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:32 pm
Look for a second hand Wavedance Kingfisher or something imo
Have you heard about people using the kayaks2fish osprey? They're 399 on sale right now and look pretty good

4liters

Post by 4liters » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Those are pretty **** kayaks, and I’m a bit dubious about the company as a whole on the back of the dodgy ‘discount’ and what appear to be fake accounts raving about them on the vic kayak fishing groups on Facebook.

For the bays you’re better off getting something close to 4m long because length provides speed and stability- important when the wind gets up a bit which it is prone to doing without much warning
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

wem21

Post by wem21 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:35 pm

4liters wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:49 pm
Those are pretty **** kayaks, and I’m a bit dubious about the company as a whole on the back of the dodgy ‘discount’ and what appear to be fake accounts raving about them on the vic kayak fishing groups on Facebook.

For the bays you’re better off getting something close to 4m long because length provides speed and stability- important when the wind gets up a bit which it is prone to doing without much warning
Ah right, so all the decent kayaks cost quite a bit? what about the ones on ebay?

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm

wem21 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:28 pm
HI guys,
Im on the search for a kayak, and im looking to spend about 500$ on it. Are there any decent yaks in this price range? And if i do get a yak, where do I go to use it? Are there gps marks available on your phone, or do I just find a place to drift (flat sand for flatties, weed beds for squid, ect)

Cheers

Where about are you located wenn21 ?

If you are in the south eastern surburbs, go and visit C-Yak in Oakleigh - one of the nicest bloke you can meet. He will answer all your questions asked while making you a cuppa too :tu: :gj:

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:03 pm

As 4L said the kingfisher is a good choice for getting into it although they usually go a bit above your budget when they have extras.

I started kayak fishing on one and got into some good fish off it, will be listing mine up for sale shortly as I have upgraded since
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

4liters

Post by 4liters » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:18 pm

wem21 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:35 pm
4liters wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Ah right, so all the decent kayaks cost quite a bit? what about the ones on ebay?
It depends a bit, a lot of them are exactly the same as the k2f ones, just branded differently

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:26 pm

Are those kingfishers you're talking about the red one that GTShoon has? If so I didn't fall out of it... so there's a pretty good chance nobody else will either.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:50 pm

wem21 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:28 pm
HI guys,

Cheers
Is this gonna be your first kayak?
I did that before, bought a second hand kayak around $350 with all the stuff (would've been $500ish new), but had no idea what kayak it was etc etc.
Was okay, weird, learnt a lot. Then I bought Native Watercraft Slayer 10. Only then I realised how bad was the old kayak. It wasn't all bad, I caught fish and stuff, but wasn't great.

I bought the old kayak two years ago and bought the Slayer 10 not long ago. Still pretty fresh for me.
My suggestion is, start with what you want to do, since everyone has diff preferences.

My first one was just something to try and muck around. Found out hand paddle wasn't for me. Tried to put electric motor on, was actually causing trouble sometimes with more stuff on the kayak. That's when I decided to get an upgrade.

Then I thought of, do I want speed or space or balance and check the size vs the weight. After I had some experience on the old yak, it was an easy decision. I wanted something stable, though slow, Slayer10 propel frees my hand to fish while maintaining position. Not cheap though. Then there's Hobie, kingfishers, vikings, etc.
Dont think you can get foot pedal kayak with that budget.

When do you use?
I use my kayak when the wind is 20kmh or less, my preference anyway. I found 25kmh+ is too strong for me. You'll be drifting too fast, can be dangerous too, especially if you're new.

Gps marks and drift?
Pretty much. I have $100 sounder on mine but often start with phone map. Use the sounder to find structures and stuff and drop the bait/lure. I have anchor with 5m rope, drift chute and also a anchor clip for freshwater fishing.

Where do you live btw?
Capacity sports in Moorabbin allows people to try. Also to hire. Mornington boat hire does kayak hire too. Try around and see how you feel after that.
If you live in the west, we can meet up. I live in point cook.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Kayak Fishing”