Bonafide Kayaks

yardsy
Has liked: 11 times

Bonafide Kayaks

Post by yardsy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:35 pm

Anyone know or paddled these kayaks at all? Looking to upgrade and see kayaks2fish have these for sell. Was also looking at the Native Slayer Pro 12 xc but looks like it will be a bit heavy for my needs.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Bonafide Kayaks

Post by 4liters » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:55 pm

They're a US made kayaks that are well regarded over there but not very common here. Certainly nothing like the Chinese-y crap K2F sell under their own brand.

My suspicion is that they are designed for bass fishing on lakes rather than on the ocean so when they say they're 'stable' I don't know if it's stable enough to be comfortable on the bay if that's what you were planning. The seat looks very high which is not great for stability. I've never been in one though and never seen one on the water so that is just a hunch rather than my own experience with them.

I'd recommend contacting K2F and asking them if you can try one first, then try the Slayer and see which you prefer. It's a bit of money to be throwing at something you haven't been out on the water on, especially given the lack of reviews here.

The company that makes them and the company that makes Native Watercraft actually merged not long ago.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

yardsy
Has liked: 11 times

Post by yardsy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:59 pm

4liters wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:55 pm
They're a US made kayaks that are well regarded over there but not very common here. Certainly nothing like the Chinese-y crap K2F sell under their own brand.

My suspicion is that they are designed for bass fishing on lakes rather than on the ocean so when they say they're 'stable' I don't know if it's stable enough to be comfortable on the bay if that's what you were planning. The seat looks very high which is not great for stability. I've never been in one though and never seen one on the water so that is just a hunch rather than my own experience with them.

I'd recommend contacting K2F and asking them if you can try one first, then try the Slayer and see which you prefer. It's a bit of money to be throwing at something you haven't been out on the water on, especially given the lack of reviews here.

The company that makes them and the company that makes Native Watercraft actually merged not long ago.
Great info thanks for the reply, I was worried about it being a lake only kayak, I will be primarily fishing PPB so maybe not the best option for choppy water but anything will be more stable than my current chinese-y piece of crap from baysports LOL.

That sounds like a good plan though, while we are here, are there any other kayaks you would recommend for the bay? looking for anything thats good value for money around that 1.5-2k price point

cheers

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:38 pm

You could pick up a second hand Hobie or Native Watercraft for around that amount, and it would most likely come with a bunch of gear. I find pedals to be great on the bay although I do like my Stealth for offshore.

There's a bunch of cheaper pedal yaks that might come in under your budget brand new but I've heard some concerning things about their drives.

If you want a paddle kayak, there's a huge range available now compared with when I bought my first yak. Look for something long (4m + ideally) and light. Viking, Ocean Kayak, Jackson, and Wilderness Systems all make quite good plastic yaks.

Some things to keep in mind:
- longer generally equals faster all else being equal, better tracking and greater stability
- a higher seat position will keep your bum dry but you'll have a much higher center of gravity which makes you less stable
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:09 pm

I don't know anything about bonafide kayak. But I have Slayer 10 propel and very happy with it. Nice and light, and stable. Been using it for lake and bay fishing, can handle choppy water that I won't be able to with cheaper toy kayak.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:03 pm

yardsy wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:59 pm
are there any other kayaks you would recommend for the bay? looking for anything thats good value for money around that 1.5-2k price point

cheers
as Ian has said if you look at a paddle yak 4 metres or longer will serve well enough for both bays - I can't help you on pedal yaks they aren't my cup of tea
and only having used paddle yaks over the last 10 years I wont pretend I know much about them

you may wonder why I prefer paddles and there are a few reasons first I tend to cover quite a bit of distance and most longer narrower yaks are faster than pedal yaks so they cover distance quicker with less energy needed
as a rule because there is no pedal system you have more room or storage

and cost most paddle craft are much cheaper than a pedal craft in the same range
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:52 am

when it comes to pedal vs paddle there are differences other than just basic utility. They feel different and some are more comfortable with one than the other. The whole sitting on your hands while crossing bumpy water, especially with the more substantial seats required is a far less stable feeling without being able to brace with your paddle. This is why they are generally only available in wide designs as they rely heavily on the primary stability. You are also going to pay a premium for the extra mechanics, which are also maintenance requirements.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”