Ready to take the plunge into yak fishing

Bear123
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Ready to take the plunge into yak fishing

Post by Bear123 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:22 pm

Thank you so much everyone!
A great lot of experience and expertise amongst you all, and things I have not really thought of.
I have started to think about a trailer for the yak... almost the same cost as me putting roof racks on my car.
but I am going to be patient and do my research.
I'm also now almost talking myself out of the pedal kayak :) I'm only interested in pinkies, whiting, flathead and bream.
thanks again, really appreciate it

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:17 pm

Trailers are good idea, but they also come with their own pros and cons.

You will always have to consider where you will be able to park and there is the added need to store it somewhere, although it can be great to have everything you need on the trailer so all you have to do is hook it up and take off.

You also need to consider the ongoing costs of the trailer. Rego, maintenance, insurance etc

Like most things, there is no ideal solution that suites everybody.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Bear123

Post by Bear123 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:47 am

Not going to lie, Hawksey’s vids gave me the inspiration!!
I’m dying to get out there, but taking my time and trying to research. I looked at some Hobie’s yesterday, they are beasts!! And of course I want one, but it is quite an investment.
I have been considering this... https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/herne-h ... pasteboard
just cause I think I can get it cheap... def not a Hobie but a start.
And I think roof racks may be the way to go, particularly with upkeep of a trailer. I have a 2013 Ford Focus that I think I can kit out to fit a decent kayak.

I have started my soft plastics kit.... but for me, I really need to look at the safety gear - coming from Qld I didn’t even think about hyperthermia etc!! (Stupid I know).

Really appreciate all the input - hopefully i’ll be out there in the next couple of months.
Sebb wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:47 pm
One of the biggest difference I feel between foot pedal kayak and hand paddle kayak, is when fishing near structures.

In open water, drifting or anchoring, you'll have no issue.
But when you want to stay in place targeting/casting to structures while drifting, the foot pedal can be handy. As you can use both hands while your feet maintaining position.
Imagine below, that green is a big as cod and you're trying to cast and keep the lure in place, using both hands to retrieve the lure. But the drift takes you away.

With hand paddle, you have to keep switching holding the rod/reel and use one hand to paddle. With foot pedal, you can keep using your both hands on the rod and reel.

youdoodle-2020-06-17T21-39-43Z.jpg

Watch Hawksey fishing video of him fishing port melb pylons where every now and then he uses his net with one hand to reverse while the other hand holding the rod fighting the fish.
There's also mini one hand peddle you can purchase instead of using a net like Hawksey.

But as said, in open water, no issue. As cheaterparts said, there are a lot of good hand paddle kayaks for the same or cheaper than foot pedal kayaks.

So back to what you want to do/use with the kayak.

I had a 4.3m hand peddle kayak before and for the stuff I do (learnt from that drifting thing on my doodling and port melb pylons like hawksey), I decided to sell and bought Slayer 10 foot propel kayak.

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:58 am

Just some food for thought, hobies are valued like Toyota’s, to buy new they are expensive, but 2nd hand they hold their value quiet well given the reputation and that there are plenty in circulation, with always a handful of 2nd hand kayaks on the market at any given time. IF you decided to go down the Hobie path (this isn’t for everyone), make sure to buy at market value at most, then you can always get nearly, if not, all your money back if you trade up or don’t like the sport.

Sebb
Has liked: 3009 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:14 pm

Bear123 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:47 am
Not going to lie, Hawksey’s vids gave me the inspiration!!
I’m dying to get out there, but taking my time and trying to research. I looked at some Hobie’s yesterday, they are beasts!! And of course I want one, but it is quite an investment.
I have been considering this... https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/herne-h ... pasteboard
just cause I think I can get it cheap... def not a Hobie but a start.
And I think roof racks may be the way to go, particularly with upkeep of a trailer. I have a 2013 Ford Focus that I think I can kit out to fit a decent kayak.

I have started my soft plastics kit.... but for me, I really need to look at the safety gear - coming from Qld I didn’t even think about hyperthermia etc!! (Stupid I know).

Really appreciate all the input - hopefully i’ll be out there in the next couple of months.
Not familiar with that brand and model, but for that price I'd rather get Native watercraft slayer10 propel.
And yes, Hobie can be expensive especially hobie PA.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Bear123

Post by Bear123 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:56 am

Found this which I’m considering. As a newbie is there anything I should be wary of? Thanks so much
https://www.facebook.com/groups/3107421 ... 9492721029

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:08 am

Bear123 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:56 am
Found this which I’m considering. As a newbie is there anything I should be wary of? Thanks so much
Looks good, check the trailer for corrosion, wiring of the sounder for corrosion, and the scuppers for cracks. The wiring and scuppers are easy enough to fix but you'll be able to knock a few hundred off the price if you find any damage.

Budget an extra hundred or so for an FPV battery, the 7ah is good but the 17.5ah is where it's at for camping and fishing for several days. You might eventually want to get the balloon wheels for launching off the beach, the wheels in the picture will dig into the sand. No issues at places where there's a ramp or hard packed sand.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:15 am

Saw a PA12 for 3500 advertised on a Facebook group Australian Hobie Anglers it’s located in leongatha
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Bear123

Post by Bear123 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:47 am

Cheers 4litres
4liters wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:08 am
Bear123 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:56 am
Looks good, check the trailer for corrosion, wiring of the sounder for corrosion, and the scuppers for cracks. The wiring and scuppers are easy enough to fix but you'll be able to knock a few hundred off the price if you find any damage.

Budget an extra hundred or so for an FPV battery, the 7ah is good but the 17.5ah is where it's at for camping and fishing for several days. You might eventually want to get the balloon wheels for launching off the beach, the wheels in the picture will dig into the sand. No issues at places where there's a ramp or hard packed sand.

Bear123

Post by Bear123 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:49 am

Cheers rb85 I saw that too, I'm worried about size and getting onto my car (without a trailer).
Man i'm so keen haha
rb85 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:15 am
Saw a PA12 for 3500 advertised on a Facebook group Australian Hobie Anglers it’s located in leongatha

Return to “Kayak Fishing”