Any recommendation for the kayak fishing spots in Melbourne?

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: Any recommendation for the kayak fishing spots in Melbourne?

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:39 pm

Yeah Campbells Cove and the Werribee South beach are quite shallow, which can mean some short and sharp waves especially at low tide. But at the same time, if you do happen to fall off you will still likely be in less than a metre of water and can easily sort yourself out. I recommend just going for a paddle the first time out. Just take your safety gear and leave your fishing stuff at home just incase you do happen to fall.

My first trip was off the beach at Sandringham with a relatively small swell of around 1 foot if i remember. I picked my time between any waves and pushed off. Once stable, the kayak (Wavedance Kingfisher) glided over the waves with ease and total confidence. But it does drop off very fast there and i would have quickly been out of my depth if i had of come off.

And while i think of it.. the harbour at Sandringham is also a great place for your initial paddles. You launch down on the sand flat near the jetty and have a nice smooth paddle through the boats until you get out past the breakwall.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:23 pm

If you want to put a kayak in near entrance to werribee river at werribee south to head up river, go through main ramp car park, through gate at the end onto grass area and there is a little access spot there so that you can avoid the boat ramp and traffic and go up river. If you want to go into bay use car park before the jetty, just watch for boat traffic.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:26 pm

You can also try marybyrnong, easy access next to ballarat rd bridge

TheNix
Has liked: 33 times

Post by TheNix » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:43 am

I am starting to see a few kayakers on the Upper Coliban reservoir if you are willing to drive out to Kyneton an hour or so away, but it does get chopping pretty quickly out on these lakes.

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:16 pm

Maribyrnong river from golf course up stream - Can launch at rowing club I think.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:18 am

yyuankm wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:50 pm
SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:56 pm
Its not fresh water, but Campbells Cove is a good spot to launch and paddle over to the RAAF jetty. The other side of the jetty is good for squid and the whole area is good for flathead, whiting and pinkies.
Thanks mate. I am also interested in the salt water fishing. Just a little worried about kayaking in the sea as the start of using my kayak. :)

I will also have a look on this spot.
You can launch off the beach at Campbell's Cove
It is shallow for about 100 metres out & at low tide it can be quite dry. If you're a bit worried, stay in the shallow water and cast into deep water.
Caution - Although decimated by council action, there could still be some nudie bears around
Gra

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:30 am

Nowhere to launch near the golf club. There is a deep hole below the cliffs & it sometimes holds bream.
If I had a yak, I'd be trying Bungies hole Chirnside Park, there is a ramp near the angling club. Rarely fished and can hold big redfin & carp.
P.s. don't tell anyone though
Gra
Anybody thinking of fishing lb'd at the golf club, be warned, the area might be closed, a new cave has appeared in the cliff on the road side and may close the whole K road carpark

Return to “Kayak Fishing”