rod recommendations for kayak

Hatetangles
Has liked: 72 times

rod recommendations for kayak

Post by Hatetangles » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:24 am

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new combo to use on my kayak, in particular i want to target pinkies (ideally snapper) with soft plastic lures, I'm hoping to use the same rod with bait (unsure if that would be suitable?). I'm pretty sure i will go with a NASCI 2500 reel. (possibly Catana rod?)
Can anyone recommend a suitable rod for less than $200 , i was thinking it would need to be around the 7ft in length and have a 3-5kg rating? Unsure how that would go flicking plastics at blackrock 100-200m from shore.I went and bought some 1/16 2/0 jig heads and some 5inch jerkshads hoping that will get me some results, might need to up the jig head weight?

shazdoggg

Re: rod recommendations for kayak

Post by shazdoggg » Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:43 am

I would suggest a 6ft rod for kayak fishing. Reason being that anything longer can be a nightmare if you get tip wrap whilst fishing.

I recently got a 3ft rod in Asia for my kayak and also been using it on my boat and so far has been great. Mainly use it as a sleeper rod for squid. If you’re casting, it’s not so great but much easier to use than a 7ft.
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

rambocambo
Has liked: 7 times

Post by rambocambo » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:20 pm

The older model of daiwa td black rods would be well under $200 for soft plastic fishing. With your 3-5kg requirement you can choose Wild Weasel or Wicked Weasel model. They're 6'10 with ratings of 2-6kg.

I'd swap the nasci to a shimano miravel 2500 or 3000. It is an overall lighter reel matching the light TD Black for soft plastics. It would also be under $200.

If you're using for bait i guess you can still with nasic, and maybe a totally different rod altogether.

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:27 pm

Veritas rod be better than catana.
Use 1/8 jighead and 1/0 for pinkies and flatties up to 7m deep. 7+m use 1/6.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Hatetangles

Post by Hatetangles » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:04 am

shazdoggg wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:43 am
I would suggest a 6ft rod for kayak fishing. Reason being that anything longer can be a nightmare if you get tip wrap whilst fishing.

I recently got a 3ft rod in Asia for my kayak and also been using it on my boat and so far has been great. Mainly use it as a sleeper rod for squid. If you’re casting, it’s not so great but much easier to use than a 7ft.
Cheers for the suggestion, I found a 7ft Paul Worstling Shimano 1-5kg rated rod in my garage which i totally forgot about , so I'l give that a try first and
see how i go with that, last week i took out my land based squid rods which were 8'6, and 8'9, and yeah i remember line wrapping around the tip bit og a nuisance....what sized reel you got on your 3 ft rod?, 5000 LOL

Hatetangles

Post by Hatetangles » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:12 am

Sebb wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:27 pm
Veritas rod be better than catana.
Use 1/8 jighead and 1/0 for pinkies and flatties up to 7m deep. 7+m use 1/6.
I've never had a veritas rod..dont much about them either...i got a catana bream rod 2-4 kg, i love that rod it goes well for the price which is why i would buy another one...but will check out veritas...
The guy from fishing mad put me onto 1/12 2/0 jig heads....i like the idea of the 2/0 hook size as i use a size 2/0 when i go bait fishing for bream and that size gets me good hook ups...pretty sure i have 1/8 1/0's as well so i will try both , just need some low wind conditions now

Hatetangles

Post by Hatetangles » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:24 am

rambocambo wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:20 pm
The older model of daiwa td black rods would be well under $200 for soft plastic fishing. With your 3-5kg requirement you can choose Wild Weasel or Wicked Weasel model. They're 6'10 with ratings of 2-6kg.

I'd swap the nasci to a shimano miravel 2500 or 3000. It is an overall lighter reel matching the light TD Black for soft plastics. It would also be under $200.

If you're using for bait i guess you can still with nasic, and maybe a totally different rod altogether.
Good call out on the Miravel !, i hadn't really paid too much attention to the new reel models that are out , and yeah it's considerably lighter with almost the same specs...dunno about putting a shimano reel on a daiwa rod ? but yeah will certainly check em out

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:47 am

Hatetangles wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:24 am
rambocambo wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:20 pm

Good call out on the Miravel !, i hadn't really paid too much attention to the new reel models that are out , and yeah it's considerably lighter with almost the same specs...dunno about putting a shimano reel on a daiwa rod ? but yeah will certainly check em out
Daiwa just announced the new TD Black 23 models as 'Coming Soon' yesterday as a FYI
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”