any kayak anchor recommendations?

Hatetangles
Has liked: 72 times

Re: any kayak anchor recommendations?

Post by Hatetangles » Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:28 pm

Anchor update ! so last minute Friday arvo i decided to get an anchor system sorted out so i could use it on Sat morning (today), was a bit unsure which way i was gonna go in terms of which method i was going to use, so i kind of made it up while i was out buying parts..
I ended up getting the Hobie trolley kit, was a bit of a rort @ $99 , i also bought the 1.5kg grapnel anchor @ $24 , went to bunnings bought 1m S/Steel chain for about $18 , 2 x S/Steel D shackles about $4 each , bought 4mm rope 20m length @ $5, and bought a spool to tile the rope around that was $2,
so all up was about $160...got home , fitted the trolley kit straight up, only 1 side to install it on the compass IMO being the left side with the steering handle, i would have preferred the right side but with the paddle theres no room...but it was all good on the left as i have the raised handle....was after 9pm when i completed the job, and then i realised i should have bought a cleet!!!anyhow i will get one later, heres some pics of how i set it up , it worked pretty well while i was out this morning even though i had to use one foot on the spool to stop myself from moving, but i was only in 3-4m....got a bit tricky balancing centre with an incoming tide and cross wind....had a good sesh, not bad but not great, enough for a good meal.lost 2 fish, note to self, dont try to lift a 40CM plus whiting out of the water without the net :(
Attachments
PXL_20231125_034700487.jpg
PXL_20231125_033500174~2.jpg
PXL_20231124_193705886.jpg

Sneaky1
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Sneaky1 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:38 pm

Could've use a loop connected to any solid fixing with anchor trolley traversed.
That's how I have it setup, but mine has a shackle that connects to one of the side bungies (old school Revo). Could get a Railblaza cleat for your setup.
As for the anchor itself - got myself a Cooper's one, with half a metre of chain. No need to fold / unfold it and it's light.

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:32 pm

Hatetangles wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:28 pm
Anchor update ! so last minute Friday arvo i decided to get an anchor system sorted out so i could use it on Sat morning (today), was a bit unsure which way i was gonna go in terms of which method i was going to use, so i kind of made it up while i was out buying parts..
I ended up getting the Hobie trolley kit, was a bit of a rort @ $99 , i also bought the 1.5kg grapnel anchor @ $24 , went to bunnings bought 1m S/Steel chain for about $18 , 2 x S/Steel D shackles about $4 each , bought 4mm rope 20m length @ $5, and bought a spool to tile the rope around that was $2,
so all up was about $160...got home , fitted the trolley kit straight up, only 1 side to install it on the compass IMO being the left side with the steering handle, i would have preferred the right side but with the paddle theres no room...but it was all good on the left as i have the raised handle....was after 9pm when i completed the job, and then i realised i should have bought a cleet!!!anyhow i will get one later, heres some pics of how i set it up , it worked pretty well while i was out this morning even though i had to use one foot on the spool to stop myself from moving, but i was only in 3-4m....got a bit tricky balancing centre with an incoming tide and cross wind....had a good sesh, not bad but not great, enough for a good meal.lost 2 fish, note to self, dont try to lift a 40CM plus whiting out of the water without the net :(
Good to hear you got the anchor trolley system sorted, it makes anchoring and facing where you want much easier. The Hobie kits are pricey, though I’ve never had any issues with quality when buying Hobie products, to me it’s worth it.
If you ever find you do need to break the top cable tie/wire on your anchor a sharp tug will break it easier and safer than a constant pull.
You’ve definitely got enough in that sink for a good meal, can’t complain about that :tu:

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:21 am

Awesome work getting the anchor setup and working, defintely worth every penny for the anchor trolley!

Good points on having a fixed anchor point on the kayak, cleat,etc. I run a stainless steel ring from bunnings on the track, which doubles as an anchor point for my knife, piliers, rod leashes, etc. Defintely handy!
Attachments
IMG_3257.jpg
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Hatetangles

Post by Hatetangles » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:19 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:32 pm
Hatetangles wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:28 pm
Good to hear you got the anchor trolley system sorted, it makes anchoring and facing where you want much easier. The Hobie kits are pricey, though I’ve never had any issues with quality when buying Hobie products, to me it’s worth it.
If you ever find you do need to break the top cable tie/wire on your anchor a sharp tug will break it easier and safer than a constant pull.
You’ve definitely got enough in that sink for a good meal, can’t complain about that :tu:
yeah i went with the Hobie trolley simply because i felt i could trust the brand more and plus i watched the install instructions on youtube which at the end of the day made sense to buy their kit and install while watching the video step by step, got some good fillets enough for 2 meals :)

Hatetangles

Post by Hatetangles » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:52 pm

Andrews wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:21 am
Awesome work getting the anchor setup and working, defintely worth every penny for the anchor trolley!

Good points on having a fixed anchor point on the kayak, cleat,etc. I run a stainless steel ring from bunnings on the track, which doubles as an anchor point for my knife, piliers, rod leashes, etc. Defintely handy!
cheers , yes certainly pleased with the install & outcome...i actually was considering using an O ring as my anchor point, and i can see how it would come in handy,(nice pliers) i also saw some cleats @ bunnings which i was almost going to buy but didnt,i did a bit more researching and found some very interesting Yakattack products , i bought the cleat as pictured off Amazon now waiting for delivery, and they also make the sidewinder reel thing which looks good though it probably takes up a lot of the track on the compass , cant believe Hobie don't have an anchor cleat to fit the tracks, or the side winder option as well,will definitely look at Yakattack for any future accessories i may need.
Attachments
sidewinder.jpg
cleat yak.jpg

Hatetangles

Post by Hatetangles » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:03 pm

Sneaky1 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:38 pm
Could've use a loop connected to any solid fixing with anchor trolley traversed.
That's how I have it setup, but mine has a shackle that connects to one of the side bungies (old school Revo). Could get a Railblaza cleat for your setup.
As for the anchor itself - got myself a Cooper's one, with half a metre of chain. No need to fold / unfold it and it's light.
Yep, at some stage i did tie the anchor line around the rod holder..saw the Railblaza cleat on the net but when i checked the specs it doesnt come with a track mount which was a bit of a deal breaker, as for fixed points i think theres better options but the yakattack cleat track mountable is they wway ive gone...one of the guys from my local tackle store has the Cooper and was recommending it to me, but as i was tight on time and nowehere nearby to buy it from i just bought the grapnel anchor which according to my research is pretty decent for most fishing bottoms.

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:01 pm

Good pick up and that cleat looks good, plenty of ways to do it for sure!
I may have to check out YakAttack's line, also heard good things about them!
Cheers for sharing your setup

I reckon the grapple would work just as well, as long as it's heavy enough you're set!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”