Saturday 12/1 Yak Trip

Longshot

Saturday 12/1 Yak Trip

Post by Longshot » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:58 am

Headed down to WesternPort on Saturday Morning after work for a quick Fish,
Baywind told me that the wind was currently light (3knots) but was going to pick up in the Early afternoon, (15-20knts) So I guessed if i was on the water about 11am I'd get a bit of Fishing in. Turns out by early afternoon they meant 12:01pm

Pretty bumpy and ugly at anchor, but in the 45 mins I was out there, I picked up 3 Gummies, 2 Baby Schoolies, 2 good runs to a bite off (in succession) and a 35cm Pinkie. All put back except the Pinkie. Non-stop action, but it was getting too dicey so I pulled the pin.

Nearly tipped twice on the way back, with nasty cross waves in the chop. I wont be in a rush to head out again when its like that.

I've now picked up 15 Sharks in 3 trips on the Kayak. Its turned out to be a wonderful investment!

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Re: Saturday 12/1 Yak Trip

Post by Raulfc7 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:17 am

Great work Longshot sounds like a productive period of fishing. Gotta watch those conditions though safety first fish second :thumbsup:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:21 am

Nice work!. Looks like sharks love you. careful not to call on the big white. :-)

you can buy (or make) kayak outriggers to make it more stable and eliminate tipping risks. A pair of PVC pipes sealed at both ends attached to aluminum cross bar should do the job.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:22 pm

Well done Longshot sounds like you had a great little session. :cheers:

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:40 pm

15 sharks in 3 trips, gotta love that in any sort of boat, good work mate, cheers davo.
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

poppy62
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poppy62 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:46 pm

gotta be happy with that effort so far :reel: :reel:

Biggame

Post by Biggame » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:14 pm

Hey longshot what sort of kayak are you using I have been thinking about buying one but have no idea what's good.

Longshot

Post by Longshot » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:02 am

Thanks for the comments Guys, Its been a great few weeks :)
For Biggame:
I started off with a Lil Seak Swift (anaconda cheapie) which I cut some holes in and mounted a few rod holders, worked well enough, caught fish and I still have it as a spare.
Bought a Haswing Manta-Ray, electric motor kayak which was a disaster and promptly returned.
I've now got a 2010 Hobie Outback Fish, and I couldnt be happier.

Its pretty much the mid grade Hobie. Not as full on as the Pro-Angler models, but holds its own nicely.
None of them are cheap though, and I'd recommend trying them out before buying one.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:23 am

what area in WP have you been targeting - sounds like Jam Jerrup allway plenty of gummies around there for a kayaker

I sat out on quail bank for a while looking for some whiting but it got a little bumpy and headed back inside rutherford inlet
only I whiting for the trip - I did manage to foul hook a 600 cm eagle ray on a whiting rod that took a bit of work to get up to the yak so I could set it free
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Kayak Fishing”