Gummy Shark hunting at Lang Lang in the Yak

fishophil

Gummy Shark hunting at Lang Lang in the Yak

Post by fishophil » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:58 pm

With the weather being a bit ordinary lately, I HAD to get out at least one day over the long weekend break!!
The wind forecast was 5-10knots for monday morning, dropping away to nothing, then picking up to 15knots + after midday.
A gummy shark hunt was calling! :evilgrin:

The alarm went off at 3.25am... but I had awoken 10mins before it went off anyway... yep! I was keen to get into the gummys today! :lol:
The car was pretty much packed, except for the bait, and battery for the sounder/lights/gps etc which was on charge, so I picked them up on the way out the door and headed to Lang Lang. Stopped off at the 24hr servo/maccas on the way for a pitstop and a cheeseburger and I was on my way again, getting down to the carpark, it didnt take too long and I was pushing the kayak into the water by 5am. There was a bit of a breeze about, but it was still safe enough. I flicked the switch to put the lights on the kayak, and a nice white and yellow glow surrounded me and I was soon paddling out into the darkness to one of my spots.

Yep... its dark out here!

I put 2 rods out to start off with, both with prawns, and it didnt take long before one of the rods got a bite.
Finally I get it to the surface, and it was banjo shark, although at a meter long, it wasnt a bad size!
I got a couple of smaller gummys at this spot, from 600mm - 900mm, all of which I put back.

It had now lightened up a bit, so I went for a paddle up towards Spit point on French Island.
I sat inbetween a couple of channels, and dropped all 3 lines back into the water.
Got a small gummy almost instantly, which went back, then I got a good bite on one of the other rods, it ran at first, and I thought it may of been another banjo, or a ray, but a couple of headshakes, and I knew it was a gummy, and a little better than what I had caught so far thismorning!
After a couple of runs, and a slight tangle one of the other rods, I had him in the yak, still flapping around going a bit nuts as they do.
And while I was pinning him down, he threw the hook, lucky for me he was on board! 8-)
I drained his bloody and carefully put him into the fishbag on the front of the yak, where the iceblocks were ready to cool him down.

Returning a smaller one...

The keeper onboard... after he had caused a bit of havoc, knocking the sound screen off its perch :roll: :lol:

I then had a bit of fun hooking a eagle ray, which made a bit of line off the reel disappear quick, tangle the other 2 rods, and nearly a lap around the anchor rope before I was able to cut the line. At least I got a bit of a work out! :lol:
I caught a couple more smaller gummys, a couple of them would of been size about 900mm, but I already had one good one onboard, so I was leaving the door open incase I got another over the meter mark.

If you ask nicely... I will put you back...

Back you go then!

I changed spots again, over towards stockyard point, and instantly picked up 2 pinkies around 40cm, then it went quiet.
I went for a paddle then, and found Cheater, who had one gummy in the bag. I stayed with him for a short while, but as the wind had dropped off for the last hour or so, and was due to pick up strong soon, I made my way back to shore to pack up. LuckyJack beached his yak soon after, and we had a quick chat while unpacking our gear.
Soon though, the wind had picked up, and by the time I had the yak on the roof, and was driving off, the white caps were peaking on the waves as the wind had picked up to its expected strength.

It was a great morning out on the water, and I have missed not getting out for a gummy, especially when they are on the chew, even if they were mostly smaller sharks.
So I will have to do it again soon. My wife was happy too, looks like fish for dinner this week! 8-)

The keepers for the day
Hi ho, hi ho, its off to fish we go!

Milk man

Re: Gummy Shark hunting at Lang Lang in the Yak

Post by Milk man » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:24 pm

Awesome report mate.. Seems there's a few gummies about at the moment
M.I.L.F- Man I Love To Fish!

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:35 pm

Top stuff Phil and well done mate, a great report and a great fishing session (and some nice looking fish).
:cheers: :gone:

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:42 pm

Nice work mate....

slinga

Post by slinga » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:47 pm

Plenty of Gumbos about. Got 2 at 8/9kg last night. Was on a boat mind you.

Well done Phil!!
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

Return to “Kayak Fishing”