Whats your dream set up?

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Whats your dream set up?

Post by DougieK » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:23 pm

ducky wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:14 pm
Agreed with snapper snatcher. The cash is better spent on fishing than chasing super exxy gear. Unless what you’re targeting is going to break inferior gear. Pro tip. There ain’t many in Vic that are going to do it…

I don’t mind splurging a bit but I can’t justify spending more then $350 odd on a reel. The diminishing returns are huge.

Agree and disagree. I destroyed a biomaster 10 in a year. Had the expo for 2 years now, it's been fully submerged 3x, bashed about a whole heap of different ledges and landed a bunch of big fish. Scratched to hell, but mechanically still absolutely pristine.

If you take really solid care of your gear and don't spin ledges / do climbs etc I kind of get it, but in my case I think value exists well beyond 'the drag is slightly smoother'.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:00 pm

In your case the money is better spent on a boat. Lel

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:13 pm

It's not so much about what will catch you more fish as about what makes you happy. Back in our motorbiking days, we earned good money and went on many long bike trips. We had quality bikes and gear because we could, not because we couldn't do the same stuff on cheaper bikes. Fishing is no different. You can have cheap rods and reels so long as they fit the purpose you intend to use them for. My whiting rods cost around $50 they are light flexible 7ft rods. I catch whiting because I know where to go, what bait works there and most importantly how to hook them up. Would I improve with a $300 rod and equally expensive reel, probably not. If you have a good income and it makes you feel good to spend that, then it is perfectly legitimate to spend it. Remember it is a sport just like golf, only sometimes you eat the trophy.
Having said all that I have been thinking of treating myself to a good rod. My spending over covid is down and a bit of a Xmas present could improve my mood.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”