Alvey spinning reels !

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Alvey spinning reels !

Post by purple5ive » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:47 am

i seen on one of their social media posts that the reel was manufactured in china, which of course caused a shitstorm..

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:56 am

saph wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:17 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:10 pm
saph wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:58 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:53 pm
I was just having a geez at their website and found the SURF 65CVX... $899!!??

They look pretty cool but who would pay that money for an alvey reel with so many other hard core offerings in that price range on the market?

Anth
It costs them alot to make that reel hence its high price as its aluminium and not resin.
I know it's not cheap to machine but it's not that expensive especially when mass producing.

Someone i know owns a company that has cnc machines and makes bridges for dental implants out of Titanium and i know for a fact it doesn't cost that much.

What my question is, who is going to pay $899 on a reel made for dropping in the sand or soaking baits off the rocks?
Ive played with one on a public day they held and trust me you will baby the reel when fishing so it wont be dropped in sand or soaking baits you activly use it

Also thats small amounts of titanium used not big chunks of metal.

As for who would pay for a reel like that? a few people since it can hold 20 pound line meaning you can fight sports fish with it.
Small amounts? To machine something down it needs to be in blocks or bars.. Think about how big your mouth is and then how big the block would have to be. Titanium even in small amounts will always be more expensive, especially when being used in the medical industry, than a aluminium.

I hate to break it to you mate but these days things like that don't cost a huge amount to manufacture and they are marked up ridiculously.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:30 am

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:47 am
i seen on one of their social media posts that the reel was manufactured in china, which of course caused a shitstorm..
I guess it takes time to set up the jigs, tooling etc but you’d think the way forward for them would’ve been to make some hilariously over engineered reel like a Van Staal here in Australia rather than ruin their reputation with Chinese imports.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:52 am

4liters wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:30 am
purple5ive wrote:
I guess it takes time to set up the jigs, tooling etc but you’d think the way forward for them would’ve been to make some hilariously over engineered reel like a Van Staal here in Australia rather than ruin their reputation with Chinese imports.
Well look at what happened to Australian manufactured side cast reels from them.
It's just not financially viable when you can get them from.overseas for a quarter of the price.
Sadly not Australian made anymore.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:13 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:52 am
4liters wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Well look at what happened to Australian manufactured side cast reels from them.
It's just not financially viable when you can get them from.overseas for a quarter of the price.
I reckon it was less about local manufacturing costs and more because they were making something that was limited utility compared to modern spinning reels, yet also indestructible so the few people who were buying them never needed replacements. The cost of manufacturing certainly doesn’t help the situation but I wouldn’t say it was the root cause.

I figure if Avet can survive making high end reels in the US then a similar business model should be viable here too.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:40 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:13 pm
purple5ive wrote:
4liters wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
I reckon it was less about local manufacturing costs and more because they were making something that was limited utility compared to modern spinning reels, yet also indestructible so the few people who were buying them never needed replacements. The cost of manufacturing certainly doesn’t help the situation but I wouldn’t say it was the root cause.

I figure if Avet can survive making high end reels in the US then a similar business model should be viable here too.
i agree,
shot themselves in the foot basically.
the lure fishing mob didnt help them one bit either.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:18 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:13 pm
purple5ive wrote:
4liters wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

I think the difference between here and the US is over there they have a lot of competition in their own country so manufacturing cost are competitive where as here there isn't many machine shops so people think they can charge what ever they want. Plus there is a bigger market for them obviously because of their population.

And you're completely right, an Alvey reel is pretty limited in it's use compared to a modern spinning reel which most probably was the main cause of them nearly shutting shop.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:01 pm

The Alvey Orbiter are Made in China, just like my Penn Slammer 3's & Daiwa are Made in China.

In my opinion only, the Alvey Orbiters are very good reels for their price points $199.00 - $289.00, ive used the Orbiters along side my Shimano Twin Power & Penn Slammer 3, i punished them & i cant fault them.

Actually i find the Alvey Orbiter's to be smooth & dependable reels, considering the Twin Power & Slammers are sold @ a higher price for not much gain in quality or feel 'my opinion only'.

I have owned too many reels that have been made in China, Vietnam, Malaysia to worry about were they are made, its how well a reel is researched / developed & the execution of its manufacturing that matters. :ch:

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:11 pm

i recently bought an orbiter sr100+ and it is the best reel I have ever owned, so I bought two.

i have 20 lb braid on it and the big knob on the reel handle makes it so easy and smooth to crank. it is made of high quality materials and looks great.

its super light for a reel like that and I would get it any day over shimano or daiwa etc.
i got it in a combo so I also got a rod, which is also great.

its a bit annoying that its made in china but as fish hunter said, daiwa and penn also have their products made in china and no ones seems to be bringing that up. cant really blame them for something everyone else is doing, unless you are biased.

i also have some of their side cast reels, they are simple and amazing. i recently went beach fishing for the first time and I used the sidecast reels, they where amazing.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”