General Reel Maintenance

Booya

Re: General Reel Maintenance

Post by Booya » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:10 pm

4liters wrote:What do you mean by overhaul? Taking the whole thing apart, cleaning and regreasing/oiling everything? What would you use for that?
Yes, overhaul as in taking the whole thing apart to clean and regrease/reoil. It sounds like the reel are mostly over 4000 size low to mid range price, if thats the case I recommend quantum hot sauce grease.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:12 pm

Thanks! Really appreciate the help.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:15 pm

4liters wrote:Thanks for that information. If I was to just get a general purpose oil and grease which would they be? Are there any that come in a decent size tub/bottle rather than those little 1oz tubes? Reels are Penn Slammers, Squalls, a Daiwa Windcast and a couple of Siennas if that makes a difference to the choice of oil/grease.
I pulled this old post from Vyak by myself from Aug 2014 on some Ebay cheapies ( $ 13 each ) that I used kayak fishing with
these reels saw a lot of use and like all kayak used reels saw there fair share of salt water
apart from stripping , cleaning and lubing with Inox MX6 grease ( A lot cheaper than those little reel grease containers )

for those that have used these cheap reels thet know how long they normaly last with a few dunkings and salt water over them every trip - So here goes
cheaterparts wrote:Just an update on my chinese cheapies the remaining two are now 3 years old and still going they do now look very salt effected
but are still as smooth as they were new -- I dont know how much longer they will last but for $13 reels with a working life on a kayak it has been a surprise
cheaterparts wrote:just an update to an old report on some Ebay cheapy reels the report was from sep 26 2012
cheaterparts wrote:With snapper season starting up again I thought I would have a look at my gear - Mainly what I used in the gaybay- last season
so I'm about to chuck out one of my Latitude XS30 reels ( it was kept for spares )and I thought I'd put up a bit of a report on them - surpisingly they for cheap reels have done quite well

I bought three in april of 2011 as cheap whiting reels ( cost about $ 13 each ) and fitted them up with cheap ebay braid 2 got 10 lb and 1 got 6 lb

the 2 with the heavier line have had the lion share of the work - the biggest fish caught on them have been 2 gummys over 1 meter in WP and a 74 cm snapper in PPB
and who knows how many other species they have been my light bait reels the rest of the time or how much salt water has gone over them

all reels were pulled down when bought cleaned and lubed with Inox grease

there are some areas on the reels that have been salt water effected but untill now none of the bearing had given up - these reels apart from the first lube have not been serviced or cleaned/washed unless they got rained on

all in all have done a pretty good job for cheap rubbish reels

I'll see how long the other 2 last
the second reel to had a problem in the last couple of weeks when the one way clutch bearing seamed to have failed
I just striped the front off to find that the small spring that workes the one way bearing had bent

I could have straightened it but grabed the spring out of the first failed reel which only had rough bearings in the front spindle ( must have been dunked under water to many times

so 2 of these $13 reels are still going and are well over 2 year old these reels see a lot of kayak fishing
I must say that the reels are looking quite salt effected in places and they still get little attention in the way of being cleaned
( sometimes the salt get washed off if they get rained on )

both remaining reels seam to be just as smooth as they were braid new

and as another matter of interest the Inox MX6 grease was still soft , infact it looked like it was brand new , not bad for grease that has been under the rotor but still open to the atmosphere for over 2 years in salt effected areas
I was still using these two reels last Sunday and yes they look second hand these days - they have seen dunkings and plenty of salt spray so the outsides are getting pretty ugly
I put there life down to servicing them and greasing with a good grease ( Inox Mx6 ) I dont know how much longer they will go but over 3 years of yak fishing from $ 13 Ebay reels is pretty good going
I have changed to Inox High Temp bearing grease ( water and salt resistant ) on my reels now and it's doing the job quite well

of cause Inox spray gets used a bit as well

for my drags I use a Shimano drag grease - I did my Penn Jigmasters recently and also upgraded the drags with some Carbontex washers cut out of some 1 mm sheet
nice and smooth drags now
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:25 pm

Thanks for that, is the Inox High Temp bearing grease you use the MX8?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

paulpaciocco

Post by paulpaciocco » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:01 pm

BIG GAV wrote:
4liters wrote:Cheers, there isn't any issue with using Daiwa grease on non Daiwa reels is there? Probably a stupid question but I wouldn't put it past reel manufacturers to have some proprietary component that requires some ultra specific lube.
Lol no mate it's good on any reel!
Nah mate all good most of my reels are shimano anyway ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:49 pm

4liters wrote:Thanks for that, is the Inox High Temp bearing grease you use the MX8?
yes I,ve used both MX6 and now MX8 and both work fine --
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Post by sandef » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:31 pm

sorry I can't comment on this thread as FC will have me banned for life

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:16 pm

Mx8 can have an affect on aluminum alloy parts, but fine for brass.
I've picked my oils/greases over a few years from various sources.
Gearing: Mercury Marine/Quicksilver 2-4-C
Drags, worm drives 'I.e. overhead level winds' and light pressure gears 'oscillation etc.': Inox mx6 in the little squirty tube
Bearings: Inox mx6 and either the Shimano oil you get with a reel, Daiwa reel oil pen or Inox Mx3 depending what I have on hand to thin the mx6 down. Once opened I don't have the patience to close bearings back up so run one side open towards the reels internals.

After a mist wash a spray of mx3 onto a rag and wipe the reel down

Miffy & Sparkles

Post by Miffy & Sparkles » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:56 pm

stuff mentioned here like mx 8,6 etc. do you buy this stuff from tackel stores
cheers
team m & s
No matter what you done wrong, always try to make it look like the dog did it.

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:39 pm

Miffy & Sparkles wrote:stuff mentioned here like mx 8,6 etc. do you buy this stuff from tackel stores
cheers
team m & s
No M+S at bearing shop and other hardwares that sell Inox products
My kayak PBs

Cheater

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”