Baitcaster question

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Baitcaster question

Post by hornet » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:15 pm

I have questions !

Why do some baitcasters have an active level wind that follows the line back and forth when casting and some don't ?

The non active level wind models just sits there while the line is shooting out, what I have found when the reel is engaged after the cast the line is sometimes at the opposite end of the spool ? so the level wind is out of sync cast after cast ?

Where as the active level wind is always inline with the line when engaged again.

Most ABU's are active but most low profile baitcasters is not active.

What do you prefer active or non active level wind reels when casting ? and have you encountered more birds nests with non active levelwind reels ?
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Baitcaster question

Post by mazman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:22 pm

I haven't put much thought into this before but I'm guessing it's because low profile baitcasters are meant for casting and retrieving lures and that having a level wind moving during the cast means it is taking more force to turn the spool and cast distances are reduced which isn't favourable. Had no issues with birdsnests as a result. I do like daiwas t-wing system when I am casting heavier lures (10g plus) as it means there is less of a jump from the spool to the level line when casting.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Hummm same as maz, never thought of this before. I have Shimano Caenan and T3 1016 TW, I'll keep in mind the next time I use them. But I don't have active level wind reel to compare.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

hornet

Post by hornet » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:46 pm

mazman wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:22 pm
I haven't put much thought into this before but I'm guessing it's because low profile baitcasters are meant for casting and retrieving lures and that having a level wind moving during the cast means it is taking more force to turn the spool and cast distances are reduced which isn't favourable. Had no issues with birdsnests as a result. I do like daiwas t-wing system when I am casting heavier lures (10g plus) as it means there is less of a jump from the spool to the level line when casting.
Maz with the non active level wind the line belts against the guide pawl hole but the line is still moving up and down the turning spool restricting the cast, then when you engage the line is not in sync with the guide hole, this gets worst the more casts you make..

The ABU's active level wind don't do this... only problem with the ABU is if the line breaks you need to turn the handle till the guide hole lines up with the line again before threading through.

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:59 pm

Good question Hornet. I have always had Abu baitcasters and I assumed that the level wind traversed on all baitcaster reels when casting. A couple of years ago I switched to a Shimano Calcutta 200D - a thing of beauty - and I was surprised when the level wind stayed put when casting. So much so that I rang Shimano to check that my new reel wasn't broken!
My first thought was that a traversing level wind would be better because the line would always be coming straight off the spool but in practice I can't detect any difference. The reel casts like a dream but I still manage a few birds' nests, particularly when casting light baits/lures into the wind or when I get a bit gung-ho with the thumb - just like the Abu's.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:01 pm

hornet wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:46 pm
mazman wrote:
Maz with the non active level wind the line belts against the guide pawl hole but the line is still moving up and down the turning spool restricting the cast, then when you engage the line is not in sync with the guide hole, this gets worst the more casts you make..

The ABU's active level wind don't do this... only problem with the ABU is if the line breaks you need to turn the handle till the guide hole lines up with the line again before threading through.
yeah all the bc's I have do this, I was more thinking that the losses from the extra travel of line is less than the loss created by having to move the level wind with the spool as you cast
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:47 pm

mazman wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:01 pm
hornet wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:46 pm
mazman wrote:

yeah all the bc's I have do this, I was more thinking that the losses from the extra travel of line is less than the loss created by having to move the level wind with the spool as you cast
I'm pretty sure you're on the money maz. I haven't got an active level wind reel or used one, but freespool is activated by completely disengaging the spool from the gearing including the worm drive the level wind uses on the Shimanos I have. In order for the level wind to be active the worm drive must maintain its connection to the spool which only adds friction and extra startup inertia into the freespool mode.

Can't say I've noticed loss of distance casting with either charter specials, TR200Gs, a Chronarch 50 or a vintage Bantam 50 or even extra wind knots Hornet. Only thing I do notice is first cast after fighting a large fish on tight drag if the level wind is at the complete opposite end of the spool you can hear the line almost peel out of the crevice it worked into

hornet

Post by hornet » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:50 pm

Thx for the input guys, On a personal note I prefer the active level wide on casting, the line is always directly in sync with the guide when the cast is done and the reel is engaged. Guess I love my ABU's to much.

I'm after a low profile bait caster and I can't find one that works the same as the ABU's. If anyone knows one that does give me a hoy...

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:44 pm

All Abu Garcia baitcast reel? Or just the high end?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

hornet

Post by hornet » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:24 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:44 pm
All Abu Garcia baitcast reel? Or just the high end?
All ABU's ...

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”