Which reel?

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Re: Which reel?

Post by Sebb » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:46 pm

fortula999 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:55 pm
So they both cast nicely?
To me, casting is about the rod and the line. The reel plays a smaller role in casting.

If you want to improve your casting such as accuracy and distance, rod and line are your major players.
Reel is there to hold the line, drag to fight the fish, and yes can determine how smooth the line comes out.

Your casting is probably still terrible using a Stella reel if you're casting with a $5 cheap wrinkly mono with $20 kmart rod.
On the other hand, you will get much better casting (accurate and good chance of better distance) using a good graphite rod and a good braid line though with a $50 Sienna.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

fortula999
Has liked: 21 times

Post by fortula999 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:01 pm

I ended up getting the legalis, thought id save money for better braid, I'm looking at tasline right now @purple5ive how much braid goes on a 2000D? The daiwa page only says for pe, not for lb

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:12 pm

As a general guide

PE1 is 10LB
PE1.5 IS 15LB
PE2 IS 20LB
and so on and so forth.

If getting tasline or the more superior braided lines the lb rating is almost doubled.
Aka PE1 IS 20LB or more. So basically the braid is a lot thinner for any given lb rating.

If your confused and can make it down to busted fishing then Frank will spool it up for you by the meter so you only pay for what you need.

The new LT spool in deep (aka 200D) holds quite a lot of line. So I'd be inclined to use a lot of mono backing to minimize the amount of braid purchased.
Aim to fill up atleast 150m of braid and use backing for the rest. Frank will be able to guide you as to what you need if your going down the tasline road.
Cheers

fortula999
Has liked: 21 times

Post by fortula999 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:01 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:12 pm
As a general guide

PE1 is 10LB
PE1.5 IS 15LB
PE2 IS 20LB
and so on and so forth.

If getting tasline or the more superior braided lines the lb rating is almost doubled.
Aka PE1 IS 20LB or more. So basically the braid is a lot thinner for any given lb rating.

If your confused and can make it down to busted fishing then Frank will spool it up for you by the meter so you only pay for what you need.

The new LT spool in deep (aka 200D) holds quite a lot of line. So I'd be inclined to use a lot of mono backing to minimize the amount of braid purchased.
Aim to fill up atleast 150m of braid and use backing for the rest. Frank will be able to guide you as to what you need if your going down the tasline road.
Cheers
So if I'm using 8lb I should fill it halfway with mono then the rest with braid?

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:12 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:12 pm
As a general guide

PE1 is 10LB
PE1.5 IS 15LB
PE2 IS 20LB
and so on and so forth.

Cheers
Hey purple, would you put the shimano sedona over the legalis?

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”