Rock fishing/LBG Setup

Kage79

Rock fishing/LBG Setup

Post by Kage79 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:09 pm

Hi all!

I'm new to fishing with a rod and looking at getting into the LBG from the rocks. I'm looking at buying the Daiwa Saltist 962 with a Daiwa BG 5000 reel from BCF.

Is this going to be a good setup for throwing lures? Also, what size line and lures would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

PS. It will get some boat use as well but not often.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Re: Rock fishing/LBG Setup

Post by Seniorfisho » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:37 am

Hey mate, if your new to fishing you might want to start with a simpler form of fishing before risking your life LBG fishing, it takes a lot of experience to go rock fishing

Kage79

Post by Kage79 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:07 am

I appreciate the feedback and I'm aware of some of the dangers involved. I come from spearfishing so I'm comfortable around the water and I won't be fishing from ledges lock Punchbowl to start with :P .

If you're familiar with rock fishing I'd still love some advice on line and lure setup that'll help me catch a wide range of fish. I might mention that I'm not after Marlin and the big game stuff, just some good fighting fish like snapper etc...

Thanks!

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:09 am

Kage79 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:07 am
I appreciate the feedback and I'm aware of some of the dangers involved. I come from spearfishing so I'm comfortable around the water and I won't be fishing from ledges lock Punchbowl to start with :P .

If you're familiar with rock fishing I'd still love some advice on line and lure setup that'll help me catch a wide range of fish. I might mention that I'm not after Marlin and the big game stuff, just some good fighting fish like snapper etc...

Thanks!
Not sure you will catch a snapper on lures but you might get a few salmon, it depends where you want to fish, I don't spin the rocks anymore but I used to bait fish along the great ocean road and this is the perfect time to be bait fishing the ledges along Lorne for snapper and whiting

Kage79

Post by Kage79 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:36 am

What size mono would you recommend for this setup?

Would there be Silver trevally around willing to chase lures?

Thanks, Seniorfisho!

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:54 am

Set up is good. The 962 Saltist hyper was my first heavy spin rod. It's an excellent choice, both CarlG and I were using the same thing for a long time before we upgraded to assasins.

40lb tasline, 60lb + leader depending on what your'e fishing for. The breaking strains will rarely be tested by fish in VIC but the heavier you go the less likely you are to break off on rocks / weed / casting heavy lures. Tasline is incredibly abrasion resistant and breaks comfortably above the named weight. This is ideal for popping or stickbaiting pelagics, or bouncing BIG plastics around, ballooning whole squid etc.

This is a setup you'll use for salmon and kingfish, or for sharks or even snapper. If you want to fish for silver trevally you need to go much much lighter, like WAAAYYY lighter. Silver trevs will take a big bait but this is an exception and are far more likely to hit smaller, more finesse style baits and lures.

Rock fishing in Victoria is seriously hard work, but the rewards are there if you're persistant.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:40 am

Kage79 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:36 am
What size mono would you recommend for this setup?

Would there be Silver trevally around willing to chase lures?

Thanks, Seniorfisho!
Dougiek has much better knowledge than me when it comes to spinning. If you were going to fish between Lorne and Appolo bay then I would be fishing right now as this is when the snapper and whiting can be caught on a paternoster rig with pippie and squid

Kage79

Post by Kage79 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:06 am

Thanks for that info! I've read a lot of your posts, DougieK! I'm looking at the Bluewater version of the Saltist (I should've been more specific). A bit cheaper and I thought I'd put more money into the reel.

I didn't realise the Trevally would be so timid but more than happy for Kingfish, sharks, salmon and Snapper to bite! Getting very excited as I'm heading out with a mate on Saturday!

I'm from Geelong so heading down towards Lorne and Apollo Bay is quite easy for me, thanks Senior!

Apart from the safety aspect of things, is there anything else I should be aware of, or trying?

You've both been a great help and it's truly appreciated!
Last edited by Kage79 on Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:09 am

Kage79 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:06 am
Thanks for that info! I've read a lot of your posts, DougieK! I'm looking at the Bluewater version of the Saltist (I should've been more specific).

I didn't realise the Trevally would be so timid but more than happy for Kingfish, sharks, salmon and Snapper to bite! Getting very excited as I'm heading out with a mate on Saturday!

I'm from Geelong so heading down towards Lorne and Apollo Bay is quite easy for me, thanks Senior!

Apart from the safety aspect of things, is there anything else I should be aware of, or trying?

You've both been a great help and it's truly appreciated!
Have you checked the swell?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Kage79

Post by Kage79 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:14 am

Hi 4liters,

I haven't checked the swell forecasts yet. My bad, it's actually the following Saturday we're heading down the coast.

Any recommendations? I'm assuming make sure the swell is small and not looking to increase throughout the day.

Best tide??

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”