Cost effectiveness

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: Cost effectiveness

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:27 pm

Just to stick up for the real cheap stuff...

I have caught gummies from the boat with $35 Shimano Hyperloop 4000 (specs say 5kg max drag) with no real indication that the reel was struggling. Most of my rods that i lend to mates have these on them. The rods i use for myself i buy slightly better reels, but not by much.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:48 pm

DougieK wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:25 pm
colnick wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:16 pm

Christ Dougie, are you fishing with this stuff or fighting it?
Col.
I'm actually using it. My expo that I bought in september quite possibly has more metres of cast and retrive on it than a lot of peoples gear gets in 10 years. My bio 5000 probably has 5x that much use in the same amount of time because i use it for everything that's not a king/tuna/spanish.

The pflueger in there, for example, I had for about 18 months. In the 3 months before it melted it probably landed 300 salmon. On the day in question it had been going strong since just on first light at about 530, and i think it finally became unusable at about 230pm. We had a school of salmon busting up in front of us and swimming back and forth along the ledge we were fishing, timing the first cast to the front of the school at it swam past let us land one, then again with it in front of us, then again as they were leaving. This went on for hours.
Damaged gears normally happens due insufficient lubrication, worn out bearings or reel body flex causing gear separation.

I would suggest stripping your reels down replacing the bearings and applying a good quality grease to the bearings and gears as a starting point.

IE blue reel grease.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:59 pm

As per what Frozen said.
What I have been doing is not greasing my bearings, but using corrosionX for all bearing lubrication in my spinners.
Amazing results, I normally take the bearing guards off ( if supplied) as well. You would need to service monthly if in heavy use, hence the bearing guard removal, but makes an amazing difference.....
Serviced a mates reel a while back, he was condeming the brand as a waste of money, owned it for about 6 years, never so much as presented any grease to it in those years...LOL

Col

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:01 pm

frozenpod wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:48 pm

Damaged gears normally happens due insufficient lubrication, worn out bearings or reel body flex causing gear separation.

I would suggest stripping your reels down replacing the bearings and applying a good quality grease to the bearings and gears as a starting point.

IE blue reel grease.
I might pull my little bio apart and try it. Everytime in the past i've tried to grease up a reel it's ended up worse than it started.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:05 pm

DougieK wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:01 pm
frozenpod wrote:

IE blue reel grease.
I might pull my little bio apart and try it. Everytime in the past i've tried to grease up a reel it's ended up worse than it started.
That’s because you’re a lummox.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:13 pm

DougieK wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:16 pm
dazz999 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:10 pm
My most expensive rod,s are the nitro messiah have never caught a fish on it i mainly lure fish but i love just going down to a pier and launching a 2oz or 3oz sinker into the horizon like a scud missile make,s me happy stress relief.
If you have a 5000-10000 sized reel with braid on it, use it to spin salmon. That is one of my all time favorite rods.
Yep i took js270 advice the messiah is matched up to a shimano ci4 5500 xtb also have a stradic fk 5000 and i purchased a 10000 gosa when the were going cheap and many other reels .Hmmm no wonder my missus how many bloody rods and reels do you need .i have a problem and are a tackle junkie

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:28 pm

DougieK wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:01 pm
frozenpod wrote:

IE blue reel grease.
You have to screw up a few reels servicing them before you get the knack. I sent the first ones I serviced off to the Reel Doctor after I'd had a go I'd done that bad a job of it.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:28 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:27 am
but if cost effectiveness is your focus rather than safety then you can't go wrong.
:rf:

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:19 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:53 am
Aimless wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:50 am

What's the consensus on best kayaks these days? Hobies?
There's a lot of Hobies out there so if by consensus you mean the ability to drown out any discussion about the best kayak then Hobies are Number 1.

Personally I don't like the feel of the mirage drive and wouldn't swap my Slayer for a Hobie if you paid me to.
I have used my Mum's hobie out in some remote areas of SA, it was nice when the wind was down but fishing shallow areas with a lot of weed, the mirage was a pain at times. I suspect a propeller based one like the Slayer is probably less prone to breaking at least.

I have an old squid kayak that's probably 12 years old now, pretty nice and stable without many of the features you get on good modern kayaks. Of course, only paddles for propulsion which has its limits. Once I have somewhere to store the thing, I might grab it again, chuck it on the roof racks and have a few goes somewhere calm.

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:16 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:53 am
Aimless wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:50 am

What's the consensus on best kayaks these days? Hobies?
There's a lot of Hobies out there so if by consensus you mean the ability to drown out any discussion about the best kayak then Hobies are Number 1.

Personally I don't like the feel of the mirage drive and wouldn't swap my Slayer for a Hobie if you paid me to.
Shoosh, other brand owner!!! :te:

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”