Cost effectiveness

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Cost effectiveness

Post by CarlG » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:48 pm

Interesting topic.
I've got a mixed approach when it comes to gear. I like gear that isn't going let me down at the worst possible moment, which is a philosophy that comes from many years as a tradie.
But if something does a job, then great. My reels vary from humble charter specials for snaps and gummies in westernport, to a 2019 stella 14000xg for spinning with big stickbaits and poppers.
Rods are a sore point, broken stacks over the years, as Doug has mentioned, extended sessions spinning for Salmon just grinds gear down.

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:56 pm

For saltwater fishing from the kayak I tend to spend about $70 for combos, the reels typically being 2500 and 4000 siennas, also 4000 quantum smokes as they are all simple reels that cop a hiding from the salt water, and keep coming back for more. I do pull them apart every now and again for a regrease. I have thrown a couple of siennas away, one when I first started fishing, got sand in one and continued to fish which destroyed the insides. The other got a bit too clunky for my liking, so it got retired.

For freshwater I spent a little more and got nasci reel with black hole amped rods for trout, Redfin, etc. I figured these were worth spending a little more on as the fresh water is a lot easier on the gear, and the better gear is nicer for more “finesse” fishing (not sure I have much finesse myself, but what the hell)

Fly fishing I’m still rocking a combo I got second hand for $70, just put some good line on it. Until I stop catching more trees than trout, the cheap combo still gets the job done.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:41 pm

bowl wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:34 pm

Hours ,didn't ya get bored of catching salmon.
I don't think i'll ever get bored of watching salmon grab poppers.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

ben475
Has liked: 162 times

Post by ben475 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:54 pm

there's normally a sweet spot somewhere where you get good quality at a reasonable price and generally that's what i'm looking, bang for buck!

the best of the best is great but you often pay so much for the last few % in quality. obviously styles of fishing will dictate what you really want.

sometimes you can have more fun with fairly inexpensive gear as your not afraid of damaging it. I also take satisfaction when I can do something just as well without having to have the best gear, sometimes we can get caught up in thinking we need all the specific gear when you really just need to get out and have a crack.

I broke a rod tip in a car door when I was a kid and fortunately haven't broken another since.

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:13 pm

CarlG wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:48 pm

Rods are a sore point, broken stacks over the years, as Doug has mentioned, extended sessions spinning for Salmon just grinds gear down.
Or spinning for anything really with long casts in salt water. That stretch of broken salmon rods you went on is probably historically significant.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:52 pm

DougieK wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:13 pm
CarlG wrote:

Or spinning for anything really with long casts in salt water. That stretch of broken salmon rods you went on is probably historically significant.
2 Pacific composites, a St Croix, a Majorcraft Evo, 2 Jewels, and 2 others I can't remember in 3 seasons.
That was when I was doing 3+ gunners sessions a week any time conditions allowed.

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:54 pm

CarlG wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:52 pm
DougieK wrote:
CarlG wrote:

2 Pacific composites, a St Croix, a Majorcraft Evo, 2 Jewels, and 2 others I can't remember in 3 seasons.
That was when I was doing 3+ gunners sessions a week any time conditions allowed.
I have no idea how you broke a majorcraft casting.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:02 pm

DougieK wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:54 pm
CarlG wrote:
DougieK wrote:
CarlG wrote:

I have no idea how you broke a majorcraft casting.
Got casting lessons from Cam, clearly
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:05 pm

I think this thread is interesting, I have never even attempted to tackle a fish as powerful as a large kingfish or tuna and hearing about the experience gear required to effectively take them on is incredible. Fishing these smaller species, they can be pretty forgiving unlike those bigger models.

I am super protective of my rods and reels, just anything to help limit that wear and tear that eventually happens with use. You get attached to your fishing gear.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:40 pm

CarlG wrote:
DougieK wrote:
CarlG wrote:

That would have put a dent in the wallet **** me !!!!

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”