UL Reel and line tangle problems!

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

UL Reel and line tangle problems!

Post by Aimless » Mon May 11, 2020 1:24 pm

Hey fellas,

I mentioned in another thread that I was sick of only catching small fish when looking for big ones.

The logical move was to just go for small ones and then I'd be happy with my lot in life.

I got an Ultralight 'Aji' rod, for casting 0.6 - 10g lures. It has been a joy to use when casting, launches my smallest jigheads an absolute mile.

Paired with it are a Daiwa Exceler 2004 (shallow spool) and Gosen Lumina Shine 200 M 0.6 Pink line. It's a polyester 3lb line, 0.6 PE as you can see.

This is a trickier part. I am getting used to the poly line, as I mentioned it casts a mile but I am having issues.

Tangles on the reel itself, line backing up if I don't flick the arm off as soon as the jig hits the water, tangles (I am guessing wind knots) when the wind is up particularly.

So far I have been happy to snap the line, retie and go from there, but I have lost a bit of length now and occassionally a jighead.

Any tips on using UL line? Any tips for polyester line in particular? Should I just avoid using it on windier days?

I have used it a few different ways. Polyester line to FC with an FG. Polyester line direct onto the jighead caught plenty of mackerel like that). Last night I noticed quite a bit of line twist and put a swivel between the mainline and leader which was working okay.

I'd love to solve this as in general the rod is a delight and loads of fun to catch small fish on. But the headaches put a dampener on it.

Cheers!

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: UL Reel and line tangle problems!

Post by mazman » Mon May 11, 2020 1:38 pm

I haven't used polyester line before so I can't help with anything specific to it but reading through what you are experiencing it sounds like line twist is the major cause for this, if you continue to struggle I would suggest moving over to a pe 0.6 braid, I have this on all of my 2004 and smaller reels and rarely have any problems.

For the line unspooling after you cast you could try casting and using your finger on the lip of the spool, I use it for accurate casting but it will stop excess line coming off and should solve that problem
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Aimless

Post by Aimless » Mon May 11, 2020 2:18 pm

mazman wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:38 pm
I haven't used polyester line before so I can't help with anything specific to it but reading through what you are experiencing it sounds like line twist is the major cause for this, if you continue to struggle I would suggest moving over to a pe 0.6 braid, I have this on all of my 2004 and smaller reels and rarely have any problems.

For the line unspooling after you cast you could try casting and using your finger on the lip of the spool, I use it for accurate casting but it will stop excess line coming off and should solve that problem
Hey mazman, sounds pretty spot on to me. I am considering grabbing some braid as I'm well used to that. Should solve my problems.

Might run my poly line until it's looking a bit too shallow and then make the swap!

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Mon May 11, 2020 2:22 pm

Is this what you're talking about?
https://youtu.be/0cKhwakGrXs
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Mon May 11, 2020 2:27 pm

When you have retrieved, just leave the lure hanging for a second or two. This allows the line twist to reverse out before you recast. I never fish that light when I lure fish, but use 10lb mono when spinning off the beach and don’t have line twist or wind knot issues.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon May 11, 2020 2:38 pm

Have you considered switching to 80lb mono and a Tiagra? That would solve most of your problems and heavy line is much easier to untangle.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Aimless

Post by Aimless » Tue May 12, 2020 12:05 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:22 pm
Is this what you're talking about?
That's the one. I'll try the wet line technique next time for sure.
4liters wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:38 pm
Have you considered switching to 80lb mono and a Tiagra? That would solve most of your problems and heavy line is much easier to untangle.
Why didn't I think of that?!
dezza68 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:27 pm
When you have retrieved, just leave the lure hanging for a second or two. This allows the line twist to reverse out before you recast. I never fish that light when I lure fish, but use 10lb mono when spinning off the beach and don’t have line twist or wind knot issues.
I was doing that a bit, and it certainly helped but I think I had the twist further up the line so it was too late by then.

I typically fish 10lb everything, this is the lightest I've gone and certainly bringing up some issues I've never had before!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue May 12, 2020 12:12 pm

if fishing light leaders on big fish, the leader will always twist when no tension is on them.
id like to think that gel spun lines like this will suffer the same fate.

firstly though, have you spooled the line on properly?
if you have a pic handy that will help.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue May 12, 2020 12:20 pm

Something else to consider would be unspooling it onto another reel and respooling it with smooth tension using the other reels drag and two rods.

Almost all my tangle problems come from either too much line on the spool or line not tensioned properly.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Tue May 12, 2020 12:54 pm

That was my first thought too. The lines -- and I fish light, too -- that have caused me grief have been the product of my own spooling efforts. My day-to-day reels were spooled in-store. Sometimes shops will put too much line on the spool, though. And that always gets messy. A full spool helps casting, of course, but there's a double-edged sword -- if line peels off the spool easily, it'll probably enjoy peeling off when you don't want it to peel off.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”