Dominant side, cast and retrieve preference

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Dominant side, cast and retrieve preference

Post by happyfriggincamper » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:35 pm

General discussion topic - interested in what peoples dominant side is and what side they prefer to cast and reel with + why.

I'm right handed, cast majority of the time with right hand and prefer the reel handle on the left. Reasons being for efficiency so I'm not constantly switching hands when casting/retrieving (especially with baitcasters being the cast is easy to manage one handed) and when bringing in a fish I like to have my stronger and more coordinated side managing the rod.

Fishbref
Has liked: 41 times

Re: Dominant side, cast and retrieve preference

Post by Fishbref » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:12 am

Makes sense really; if you're right handed, cast with right and wind with left and viki versa. I know many will say "but in Straya we drive on the left side", and "I've seen me old man do it", but that's just not right; right is right. This may wind some the wrong way, but that's because they choose to be lefties...

😎

Never mind the general ergonomic aspect, unnecessary hand-shuffling and all.

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Post by Irishfisherman » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:24 am

Very interesting topic actually, in Ireland everyone seemed to hold the rod in the right hand and wind with the other including me. However in Australia it is the opposite, I’m yet to figure out why.

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:02 am

I cast with my left and reel with my right, simply because that's the way rods and reels come. I'm actually ambidextrous so I imagine I could do the opposite fine but i've never bothered to try.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:16 am

Right side dominant. Spin gear cast right, wind left, can swap but it feels slightly uncoordinated. Overheads and baitcast I cast right, wind right and not a hope in hell I can use left hand wind overheads. It honestly feels like I've got dislocated shoulders and wrists even trying left wind

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:15 am

I'm right handed. I used to cast with right hand switch to left and wind sith right.
Then I changed to cast with right and wind with left. Was weird at the start but got use to it now. Much more effective without having to switch hands. Also the dominant hand is stronger so it should be the one holding (fighting) the rod.
croe04 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:02 am
I cast with my left and reel with my right, simply because that's the way rods and reels come. I'm actually ambidextrous so I imagine I could do the opposite fine but i've never bothered to try.
Almost all spin reels can changed from right to left or left to right though.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:21 am

cast & wind right, i dont like to swap hands between casting and winding.

baitcast is a bit different, is easier to swap hands quickly and an bacically hold the rod around the reel and wind right handed.
i have 1 left handed baitcaster, and the rod ballances better when grip is changed after casting which negates the advantage of left hand wind for me.

brybry

Post by brybry » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:42 am

Went on a charter at Lake Tyers a few years back. Chucking lures for bream and flatties, the skipper insisted that we cast right reel left in order to make sure we were in contact with the lure at all times. Felt weird for about five minutes. Don’t know if made a difference but we had a good day. Have now switched all my gear over to left hand wind.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:06 am

brybry wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:42 am
Went on a charter at Lake Tyers a few years back. Chucking lures for bream and flatties, the skipper insisted that we cast right reel left in order to make sure we were in contact with the lure at all times. Felt weird for about five minutes. Don’t know if made a difference but we had a good day. Have now switched all my gear over to left hand wind.
That's true about keep in contact with the lure.

If you cast with your right hand and your left standby on the reel, you can retrieve straight away or striking the rod straight away, right after the lure hits the water. No slack line, no 'slack time' because of passing the rod from right hand to left, then wind with right.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:10 am

While I have always been a right hand caster and winder I can see merritt in winding with the left - I have tried but it just seams wrong
remember that many reels that were around when I started fishing didn't have LH wind options

just a thought do you change hands when you are gaffing on netting your catch - do you change hands when you are landing a fish by hand -- there is no way I could accurately gaff a fish with my left hand - I have netted fish with my left but it wasn't as easy as right handed and If I was tail grabbing a fish it would be with my right - in these cases my rod works better in my left

the way I look at it changing hands ( cast and wind )may not be as good to stay in contact with the lure - but changing hands and staying in contact with the fish is also a problem

there is no right or wrong answer - it's what works for you
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”