old ugly stiks

shnapper20

old ugly stiks

Post by shnapper20 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:14 pm

hi I have been fishing for over 25yrs with the 4 same 7ft australian made ugly stiks , coupled with abu 7000's. they have been fantastic rod predominately used in westernport on snapper and gummy. Well as you can imagine they are fairly tired the vanish and logos have all but disappeared, the grips are cracked and shrunken the epoxy is cracked and discolored. The runners and reel holder are still functional, I took one in to get the tip replaced and was told they no longer make these blanks and to hang on to them. So heres the question do I revarnish the rods and duct tape the handles and continue to use them? do I get them fully refurbished and hang on to them hoping they see me out ? or are there better rods out there that I could buy new to replace them? Im inclined to keep them as I have had some massive fish on them, yet they are sensitive enough to register small bites. Having only fished with these for so long I have nothing to compare them to. thanks john

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Re: old ugly stiks

Post by canned_tuna » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:27 pm

They were the original and the best bait fishing snapper rod, and if coupled with swedish made 7000's they are almost unstoppable. I used to fish same rods but with 6500's as I predominately fished ppb. Stupid me sold them all when I moved to NSW 20 years ago. Keep onto them as they are def a classic. My old man still has a few hanging in the garage that havent seen the light of day for more than 15 years... ah the possibilities

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:36 am

My brother gave me a JW Port Hacking for my 25th birthday. He passed away 3 months later
That was 41 years ago & the rod is still my favourite. I think of my brother whenever I use it
A few years ago it needed new guides & some tlc
Cost over $100, but to me, well worth it.
Ask at your local tackle shop for a quote, you might be surprised
Cheers Gra

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:32 pm

Whilst they were good the new rods are just as good and some are even better.

It all comes down to how much do you want to spend.

If you buy a $40 rod it wont compare to your ugyly stick but if you buy a good $400 rod it will be better and lighter.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:35 pm

I got a couple of the current model 710’s for $35 each from Anaconda last year....really nice rods

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”