Sending off reels for service

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Sending off reels for service

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:02 pm

I've got Shimano Curado baitcaster that is in dire need of a clean and service. Never done a baitcaster service and dont have the time to do it myself so going to send it off to shimano.

Their site says a service is $30 + any parts - does anyone have any experience to share about dealing with shimano service?

Also likely to get another baitcaster this year, so also curious of what people experience has been with other brands service offerings (primarily Abu garcia or Daiwa).

Cheers

denis barden

Re: Sending off reels for service

Post by denis barden » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:05 pm

Ive sent heaps of reels to Shimano in Sydney and Geoff-The Reel Doctor in Melb and have had fantastic service from both

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:42 pm

denis barden wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:05 pm
Ive sent heaps of reels to Shimano in Sydney and Geoff-The Reel Doctor in Melb and have had fantastic service from both
Cheers Denis - how does that guy in Melbourne compare price and turn around time wise to Shimano?

Captain8

Post by Captain8 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:08 pm

Their service is top notch, give you all the old parts they replace. Quote for over and above the standard service is provided, and quick turn around too.

I can’t comment about the reel doctor
Last edited by Captain8 on Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:26 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:42 pm
denis barden wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:05 pm
Cheers Denis - how does that guy in Melbourne compare price and turn around time wise to Shimano?
About the same

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:41 pm

Dazza's reel service (find him on facey, 0438 801 344 if you don't have facey) is supposed to be pretty good. Otherwise just drop it in at Trelly's, most tackle stores have a local bloke who picks them up each week.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:34 pm

4liters wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:41 pm
Dazza's reel service (find him on facey, 0438 801 344 if you don't have facey) is supposed to be pretty good. Otherwise just drop it in at Trelly's, most tackle stores have a local bloke who picks them up each week.
Yes - I did call Trellys geelong, they advised that all they do is send off to Shimano to service.

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:09 pm

Sent the baitcaster off to Shimano Thursday last week, got a call Tuesday this week it was done and it's arrived back in the mail today.

Great service and experience - they replaced a bearing and drive gear under warranty - even though I didn't provide any proof of purchase and marked "out of warranty" on the service form. Also picked up another spool for the SLX DC at cost price so I can interchange different line weights on it.

Pretty happy overall.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:38 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:09 pm
Sent the baitcaster off to Shimano Thursday last week, got a call Tuesday this week it was done and it's arrived back in the mail today.

Great service and experience - they replaced a bearing and drive gear under warranty - even though I didn't provide any proof of purchase and marked "out of warranty" on the service form. Also picked up another spool for the SLX DC at cost price so I can interchange different line weights on it.

Pretty happy overall.
thats a great outcome mate. cheers

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”