Common baitcaster vs heavy duty/swimbait baitcaster

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Common baitcaster vs heavy duty/swimbait baitcaster

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:23 pm

Apart from the increased drag rating - was trying to find out what other differences there are in a common baitcaster vs a heavy duty/swimbait baitcaster. Primarily interested if there is any difference in the hardiness of the breaking/tension system?

Could a regular baitcasters braking/tension system (like a Shimano curado or Abu revo model) handle a 100g swimbait being thrown, or would it be grinded to dust or something over a couple sessions?

Cheers, Chris

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Common baitcaster vs heavy duty/swimbait baitcaster

Post by Texas » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:07 pm

Truedogz used a fairly stiff rod, the tip was much larger than a spin rod
If you go through his posts you can probably see it (white rod)
He used the stiffer rod, more for accuracy than distance
Some people use 50 - 60lb braid while using swimmer baits, to me that's too much for your common spin rods
That's all I can remember
Gra

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:34 pm

Cheers tex - I'm good with the rod, just wondering if there are recommended cast/retrieve weights. I've shot off an email to one company to ask about one of my reels

Longbombs
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Longbombs » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:38 pm

Swimbait gear is less to do with the reel and more to do with the rod.

The reels which are used for 'swimbaiting' are generally the larger size baitcasters (>150). A common reel used for this style of fishing is a tranx 200.

You are right in saying that smaller reels will not handle larger lures as well as bigger reels. In saying that, they can handle it, but you will find a bigger reel better over the long run.

They have heavier drags and heavier-duty gears. Sometimes, they have larger handles as well. Just a bigger, beefier baitvaster.

Swimbaiting rods are deisnged to cast larger lures, as you mentioned in the post. They are typically longer (>7 foot) and have a longer butt section for double-handed casting and ticking under your armpit when retrieving the lure.

You will find 'swimbait' specific rods, but you wont find 'swimbait' specific reels - just go for a larger size baitcaster.

Hope this helps mate

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:14 pm

Thanks for the response mate - what I am curious about is if there are generally heavier breaking systems in the bigger baitcasters that cater to a heavier casting range or there is not much difference in this part of them vs their smaller counterparts. I came across a video once where they mentioned you need a reel with a heavier tuned brake - but I've never heard it since.

My Abu Garcia Revo SX is 11kg drag, so it sits in a retrieve capability range of heavy duty baitcasters but unsure if any breaking system difference vs the Maxtoro (which is one of their bigger baitcast options) and I'd have to tune it quite tight to manage casts (where hypothetically the max toro may allow you to be a bit looser in the tension as it may be designed with a heavier weight casting range).

I've also got a curado 201HG which sits at 5kg drag I think, so I'd imagine the bigger tranx would have a breaking system thats configured for a heavier casting range (but I'm not sure if that's the case).

Will see what Abu says - hopefully I can use the Revo SX in a pinch (with the right rod ofc) while I save up for another reel.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:22 am

Are you confusing drag system with the brake on the spool to help stop overruns?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Longbombs
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Longbombs » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:35 am

Curado 200 will be fine for larger lures, despite a lower drag rating. Looks like you are sorted.

Don't forget that with baitcasters the drag limit is how hard you can hold the spool!! haha...

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:01 am

4liters wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:22 am
Are you confusing drag system with the brake on the spool to help stop overruns?
No, not at all.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”