Best reel grease that you can recommend

Watp

Best reel grease that you can recommend

Post by Watp » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:44 am

My drags have been getting a bit sticky lately and was going to give them a bit of TLC. Just wondering what you're all using? I normally use the Daiwa blue stuff but I am not convinced it's the greatest. Any recommendations on something that will get my drag silky smooth again? I will installing new carbon drag washers too.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Best reel grease that you can recommend

Post by hornet » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:08 am

https://www.mikesreelrepair.com/blog/dr ... to-grease/

carbon washers of today, can be used either dry OR greased

Some good info on this site.

It's hard to compare greases, what is the base line ? how do you measure one against the other ? I've used Penn and Daiwa over the years and can say they both perform the same imo, on the yearly service my reels get they both look ok inside with no break down in consistency, and just as smooth as each other.

Others mileage may vary.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:49 am

Ive personally used carbon washers and replaced them back with felt.
i didnt notice big differences in drag smoothness. these were all on bream sized reels (2004 daiwa)
all the washers exhibited black soot like substance in the drag stack which believe was the grease doing something to them.
i used the daiwa Tournament grease on them
i have switched back to felt washers with the same grease and have been happy with it.

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Post by Tackleberry » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:57 pm

Same here all my reels in the 2000/2500 Shimano size stay felt but I leave them dry.

soon as I go to 4000/5000 size carbon drag washers only never had a problem with either setups carbon washers are packed with carls grease from the US outstanding stuff and a small one ounce tub last year's
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:08 pm

I gave a bunch of reels and tools a cleanup and re oil the other day. I started using the standard inox/lanox but gave the g96 gun oil a crack on a stubborn set of pliers. The penetration was next level. Got in and freed up the movement where inox wouldnt. Ending up oiling all the moving parts on all my reels with it. Time will tell if that was a bad idea but I feel it won’t be a problem.
Last edited by ducky on Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Watp

Post by Watp » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:08 pm

Thank you for the replies. That was an interesting read and I almost got the impression it is down to your own sense of comfort with the drag.
I just order some Cal's too, was very cheap so I'll give that a go.

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Post by Tackleberry » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:42 pm

Watp wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:08 pm
Thank you for the replies. That was an interesting read and I almost got the impression it is down to your own sense of comfort with the drag.
I just order some Cal's too, was very cheap so I'll give that a go.
Just don't use too much I have done 18 drags with mine and have only used a quarter of the small tub just enough to smear over each side of the washer does not take much at all I use a business card to apply it or a butterknife.
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”