5ft6 1-3/2-4kg spin rods

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

5ft6 1-3/2-4kg spin rods

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:10 pm

I picked up a 5ft6 2-4kg (2pc)spin rod up many years ago for about $50 when I wasn't too sure what I was buying, but it's been one of my favorite spin rods for light freshwater lure fishing and is great on the kayak for casting.

I want to pick up another one but spin rods of this size for this weight range don't seem too common in Australia....? A quick look on the US Bass shops and there are enough options to indicate there is an interest for this type of build but most don't ship to Australia now or are not worth the shipping costs.

Most websites seem to be a pain to filter by size and Google is hit and miss, so far all I've been able to find is this ugly stik https://www.anglerswarehouse.com.au/pro ... _rod_20283

Does anyone know of any 5ft6 (or close enough in size) 1-3/2-4kg rod builds that are available here?

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Re: 5ft6 1-3/2-4kg spin rods

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:17 am

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:10 pm
I picked up a 5ft6 2-4kg (2pc)spin rod up many years ago for about $50 when I wasn't too sure what I was buying, but it's been one of my favorite spin rods for light freshwater lure fishing and is great on the kayak for casting.

I want to pick up another one but spin rods of this size for this weight range don't seem too common in Australia....? A quick look on the US Bass shops and there are enough options to indicate there is an interest for this type of build but most don't ship to Australia now or are not worth the shipping costs.

Most websites seem to be a pain to filter by size and Google is hit and miss, so far all I've been able to find is this ugly stik https://www.anglerswarehouse.com.au/pro ... _rod_20283

Does anyone know of any 5ft6 (or close enough in size) 1-3/2-4kg rod builds that are available here?
I am a big fan of 5ft6 rods, I have a Shakespear wild series rod that is 2-4kg, cheap rod but I love it, has a short handle and has never let me down. Believe it or not I also have a 5ft6 baitcaster UL rod that I got from wish which is superb for $20, Sougayiyang is a chinese brand from wish but they are great value, it's not always about brand names

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:18 pm

Check out Ebay - Seems to be quite a few that may suit your needs.

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:48 pm

russellh2 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:18 pm
Really? I did do a check there and majority were the 5'6 (or 1.65m) rods that were in the heavy weight ranges. Tried searching using fishing rod + 5ft 6, 5'6, 1.65m etc for not many showing up in the light end. What key words are your searching on to find them?

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:55 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:17 am

I am a big fan of 5ft6 rods, I have a Shakespear wild series rod that is 2-4kg, cheap rod but I love it, has a short handle and has never let me down. Believe it or not I also have a 5ft6 baitcaster UL rod that I got from wish which is superb for $20, Sougayiyang is a chinese brand from wish but they are great value, it's not always about brand names
Nice to see another fan of this build! Would you possibly be able to let me know the model number if it's on the rod so I can do a specific search for it? Did a search for Shakespeare wild series, looks like it's an older range with just the dregs left over. Smallest I saw was a 6ft 2-4kg spin combo.

And funny on your UL BC rod purchase from wish - cos I just put in an order for one on Aliexpress. I bought a cheap BC reel that is apparently a knock off of the Shimano Aldebaran BFS reel system + an UL bc rod (2-10g). The reel seems OK so far (casting testing only) but the rod was as stiff as a sword, so made for very precise (and unnatural) point of release to cast accurately. The new rod I've ordered looks a bit more whippy so hopefully will be a bit more forgiving and natural on casting release points.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:37 pm

TDB SPOTTED WIGGLER 562ULFS is a 1-2 kg in the size your looking.

you need the Gen 2 models of the TD blacks, not the current ones. not going to be easy to find, but if your keen im sure you can track one down.

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:44 am

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:37 pm
TDB SPOTTED WIGGLER 562ULFS is a 1-2 kg in the size your looking.

you need the Gen 2 models of the TD blacks, not the current ones. not going to be easy to find, but if your keen im sure you can track one down.
Thanks P5 for flagging that one - did they cull that model/build in the new range?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:24 pm

YES, the new models only go to 6 foot something.
the first and second models had the spotted wriggler.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:42 pm

Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:55 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:17 am

Nice to see another fan of this build! Would you possibly be able to let me know the model number if it's on the rod so I can do a specific search for it? Did a search for Shakespeare wild series, looks like it's an older range with just the dregs left over. Smallest I saw was a 6ft 2-4kg spin combo.

And funny on your UL BC rod purchase from wish - cos I just put in an order for one on Aliexpress. I bought a cheap BC reel that is apparently a knock off of the Shimano Aldebaran BFS reel system + an UL bc rod (2-10g). The reel seems OK so far (casting testing only) but the rod was as stiff as a sword, so made for very precise (and unnatural) point of release to cast accurately. The new rod I've ordered looks a bit more whippy so hopefully will be a bit more forgiving and natural on casting release points.
The shakespear I got from Anaconda about a year ago, it was given to me by the guy who works there because I bought 2 Sedona 2-4kg rods and they both broke at the tip. They didn't want to refund me so the great guy from the fishing section at Hoppers Crossing gave me the wild series for free and I'm glad he did. I also bought a Daiwa Dmax3 baitcaster reel from wish for about $35 and I took out one the magnets and I am able to cast 1/28 jig heads and sx40's with it in conjunction with the UL rod, absolutely magnificent. I think the wild series rod was part of a combo and it is actually 2-6kg but is very light weight and sturdy, great for the kayak.
Wish have a lot of 165cm graphite rods, the only thing is the reel seats could be better quality but they certainly do the job, I tested my UL baitcaister and rod last week at Melton on the carp and caught about 10 carp to 2kg, the outfit worked great.

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:20 pm

Really? I did do a check there and majority were the 5'6 (or 1.65m) rods that were in the heavy weight ranges. Tried searching using fishing rod + 5ft 6, 5'6, 1.65m etc for not many showing up in the light end. What key words are your searching on to find them?
[/quote]

Searched using 1-3Kg Rod /// As well as 5'6" rod - Plenty to review

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”