Ppb recommended Beach/surf rod combo size

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Ppb recommended Beach/surf rod combo size

Post by sloth » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:15 pm

Hi all,

The kids are getting interested in bait fishing and catch and cook so I figured I need to learn too. I have NFI about what is a good starting setup.

On the lighter side I’m thinking of a tica nibble tip 8’6 and a 2500 running about 4kg mono for doing bream, and small estuary on bait using running sinker rig. Mainly that’s just for playing around with a bit of close to home bait fishing on the nong (definitely not cooking anything out of there)

The surf/beach stuff is where I’m not too sure …. For pinkies/flatties/salmon/bay stuff off the beaches/Webb dock or whatever what is the go? We go to Torquay now and again so a bit of surf at jan juc is also in the mix ….. from reading I’m thinking I want a 12’ 10kg or so and a 6000 reel … and paternoster ? Not sure if that’s overkill ? What’s the “average” kind of setup for shore/beach based in ppb - can someone point me in the right direction as to what I should be looking at? I’m happy to go on the light side of things but want to make sure I have the cast weight and distance I need in those kind of spots covered

Thanks

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Ppb recommended Beach/surf rod combo size

Post by Mattblack » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:35 pm

sloth wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:15 pm
Hi all,

The kids are getting interested in bait fishing and catch and cook so I figured I need to learn too. I have NFI about what is a good starting setup.

On the lighter side I’m thinking of a tica nibble tip 8’6 and a 2500 running about 4kg mono for doing bream, and small estuary on bait using running sinker rig. Mainly that’s just for playing around with a bit of close to home bait fishing on the nong (definitely not cooking anything out of there)

The surf/beach stuff is where I’m not too sure …. For pinkies/flatties/salmon/bay stuff off the beaches/Webb dock or whatever what is the go? We go to Torquay now and again so a bit of surf at jan juc is also in the mix ….. from reading I’m thinking I want a 12’ 10kg or so and a 6000 reel … and paternoster ? Not sure if that’s overkill ? What’s the “average” kind of setup for shore/beach based in ppb - can someone point me in the right direction as to what I should be looking at? I’m happy to go on the light side of things but want to make sure I have the cast weight and distance I need in those kind of spots covered

Thanks
What's your budget? (and are the rods for you or the kids?)

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:19 pm

Not super high - couple hundred for a combo maybe .. low enough that I’m not stressing about the kids breaking or dunking it. I’ll cast out but the kids will probably wind in… I’ll always take a light 7’ for flicking plastics around for when they get bored so it will be a communal surf rod I guess :)

Just wasn’t sure if 12’ + 6000 reel was too big or not .. that’s kind of the size I used shore fishing in the uk but not sure what “normal” is over here. Will probably just grab a surf combo from one of the big chain stores - just not sure if it’s 12’, 10’ or smaller ….

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:24 pm

Hi southern sport fishing in blackrock.
Has Penn fierce 3 on sale for around 80 bucks for 6000.
Live liner 6500 was 90.
He would be able to set u with suitable rod n price matches other stores.
I use Penn prevail n ugly stick gold , with old older Penn slammer live liners
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:37 pm

Penn prevail is good and pretty light. Even a 10 year old should be able to cast. Maybe with a 4000, so its lighter. With 20lb braid. Enough for aussie salmon and maybe small gummy.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”