Sephia BB egi rod 'dry' review vs Solpara 83EL, and other stufff

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Sephia BB egi rod 'dry' review vs Solpara 83EL, and other stufff

Post by Sebb » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:57 pm

You all know by now that I recently purchased Shimano Sephia BB 80ML egi rod from Trellys Laverton to replace my Solpara 83EL.

Sephia recommended casting range is 1.8 - 3.8 gou and the Solpara is 2.0 - 3.5 gou. This gou is the rate of squid jig with all its sinking per second meaning, etc. Google it if you want.

Was going to wait until I could try it on the water, but with the current situation, it would take a while. Hence this 'dry' review. As in, the closest to water the rod has ever seen is a water bottle in my car when I bought it.

My reason for giving a personal review (I'm not lucky enough to be sponsored), is because I do some research before purchasing something and often there isn't enough info out there, especially from personal use review. Or the review just isn't enough (yes, I'm quite detailed and OCD).
Plus I got bored during this lockdown.

Plus, being in lockdown, this is kinda fun and keep me amused with fishing related stuff. Some of this stuff also applicable to non-egi rods.
And please correct me or add anything, always love to have a good discussion and learn something new.

So here it is.
IMG20210826194450_resize_48.jpg
First Impression

Very light! Not super light, but very light! Lighter towards the butt section, almost too light.
When I was at the store, I also held Emeraldas X and MX, they're light as well, but the Sephia had that wow lighter feeling. I did hold Emeraldas AGS too, but not gonna compare that.

A lot of people use 3000 reel or 2500 reel, I tried this Sephia BB rod with Freams LT 2000 at the store and it balanced. I have it paired with Stradic ci4 3000 since it's light and matches the rod's weight.
IMG20210826194713_resize_2.jpg
On the downside, personal opinion that is, the handle section feels 'cheap', has that plastic-y light feeling to it, while the Emeraldas got that 'expensive' toy feeling. Again, it's personal opinion. Maybe just the fancy cosmetics that got me thinking like that.

I wrote a review about Solpara when I bought it, so not gonna say much about the Solpara's first impression.

The rod blank

Sephia BB is the lowest model of the Sephia rod family in Japan, however it has enough stuff to make a good egi rod. At least it's enough for what I do as a rec angler, plus definitely an upgrade from Solpara.

Sephia BB has the X wrapping thing. Google it if you want to know more about what it is, I don't want to explain technicalities, just the simple practical stuff for those who wishes to buy (or not). This x wrap thing makes the rod very responsive. The rod bounces back to it's original position (from bending to straight) very quickly, gives that crisps feeling. Solpara doesn't have it.

Considering that, Sephia BB is still quite whippy compared to Emeraldas. More regular action, while Emeraldas are very stiff and fast. Solpara is even slower, whippy and wobbly.

What does that mean?
Wobbly means the rod kicks to the side while casting, causing it less accurate and can affect the distance too. But also means, the rod is very shock absorbing. Which is perfect for squid fishing to absorb that pull from the squid and gentle enough not to rip the tentacles. I know this from when I was learning fly fishing years ago.
youdoodle-2021-08-26T20-38-46Z.jpg

Faster stiffer rod can still have parabolic action/bend for egi fishing, but a lot more resistance and pressure, this is when you use less drag on the reel.
Faster stiffer rod has more punch and more accurate in casting.

Here is the Solpara, not the best video but you kinda can see the kicks to the sides.
https://youtube.com/shorts/qGV0axRd-uA?feature=share
And here is the Sephia BB, still has some kick to the sides but less than the Solpara.
https://youtube.com/shorts/byNkKKC6w1k?feature=share
Sephia BB is in between Solpara and Emeraldas in terms of stiffness.

The handle grip / reel seat

Eva on the grip is always nice and soft on the hand. The eva on the Sephia is softer and squishy compared to Solpara.

The lower part to screw in the reel is a lot nicer on the Sephia. I don't like this bit on any rods, it's hard, not nice on the hand and leaves a mark on my hand. Personal choice of course.

Here is the Solpara.
inCollage_20210826_204939023_resize_9.jpg
Here is the Sephia.
inCollage_20210826_204831479_resize_84.jpg
May not matter much for many people, but small stuff like that is the one that gives me the 'wow' feeling.
After few use, I get red marks on my hand from the Solpara and sore a bit (yes, I have soft hands :-D , I'm an accountant so please pardon me).

The ring guides

I believe Sephia is using Fuji K silicone guides and Solpara is Fuji O. Micro guides for the tip section. However, Sephia BB has 9 guides and Solpara has only 8 guides. Although there is blank nya o guide ratio etc, and considering the Solpara is a longer rod, I think this makes Sephia BB the better rod.
IMG20210826194555_resize_94.jpg

Why do you ask? Here is why.

The guides are to hold the line close to the rod blank, the line and the rod blank be generally aligned and paralel, makes the rod to absorb all those tensions on the line.
More guides is better because the line will be more aligned with the rod blank.
youdoodle-2021-08-26T21-06-01Z.jpg
Imagine this below. There is more tension on the line, less shock absorbing on the rod. More tension on the rings too. The rod blank isn't utilised enough.
youdoodle-2021-08-26T21-10-02Z.jpg

The Sephia BB rod is not a Ferrari, but it's not a Toyota Yaris either.
Of course there is more to this (and more complexity), but I hope this helps people to have some info before purchasing (or not).
For $220 (sale price when I bought it), I think this rod is worth the value.

I'll write some more after I get to try it.
Last edited by Sebb on Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Sebb

Re: Sephia BB egi rod 'dry' review vs Solpara 83EL, and other stufff

Post by Sebb » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:13 pm

Waiting for squid master Andrews and rod experts to say something.

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:26 pm

I dont know much about egi rod reviews but was waiting with baited breath to see if ol pussy cat was gonna make a jump for the rod tips!!.
10/10 for your efforts

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:29 pm

canned_tuna wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:26 pm
I dont know much about egi rod reviews but was waiting with baited breath to see if ol pussy cat was gonna make a jump for the rod tips!!.
10/10 for your efforts
He did! But not in those videos. Haha.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:24 am

Great write up Sebb and they all sound great but at the end of the day I just can't get that excited about a squid rod, they are just squid and you can catch them with a broomstick. Now, if you were reviewing an ultra light combo that can handle Bass or Bream I would be much more excited

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:42 am

Seniorfisho wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:24 am
Great write up Sebb and they all sound great but at the end of the day I just can't get that excited about a squid rod, they are just squid and you can catch them with a broomstick. Now, if you were reviewing an ultra light combo that can handle Bass or Bream I would be much more excited
Thanks.

That is true.
For years I used cheap rod to catch squid, and I did catch them. Til I got bored, had spare money, and decided to get specific rods for each specific use, including squid rod.

I ordered a new UL rod, not arrived yet. Will write something up about it.

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:22 am

Sebb wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:42 am
Seniorfisho wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:24 am
Thanks.

That is true.
For years I used cheap rod to catch squid, and I did catch them. Til I got bored, had spare money, and decided to get specific rods for each specific use, including squid rod.

I ordered a new UL rod, not arrived yet. Will write something up about it.
Great review Sebb!
I think you're spot on with sharing a review, the more information and experience the better! Hopefully it's not too long till you've got a squid on the end of it!

I feel the most important thing when you're doing some land-based EGI is comfort, if your rod is digging into your hands, heavy, it's just not going to be enjoyable. Glad you've found a perfect balanced combo which I'm sure will work a dream! Eva foam grips are a real treat to use.

They may just be squid, but it's all about the experience. When you're fishing some land-based EGI and you feel a squid throw a few sharp strikes at the jig, those small taps before striking and feeling that solid pulse, that's a great feeling. When you're winding in and you catch a dark silhouette from the corner of your eye come out of no-where a grab the jig, it's energizing. It's everything, from feeling the resistance of the current against the jig, sight casting squid over weed, or just those spontaneous one squid after another sessions, they're the fishing experience were all dreaming for. A good rod makes that experience so much sweeter.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:11 am

Andrews wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:22 am

Great review Sebb!
I think you're spot on with sharing a review, the more information and experience the better! Hopefully it's not too long till you've got a squid on the end of it!

I feel the most important thing when you're doing some land-based EGI is comfort, if your rod is digging into your hands, heavy, it's just not going to be enjoyable. Glad you've found a perfect balanced combo which I'm sure will work a dream! Eva foam grips are a real treat to use.

They may just be squid, but it's all about the experience. When you're fishing some land-based EGI and you feel a squid throw a few sharp strikes at the jig, those small taps before striking and feeling that solid pulse, that's a great feeling. When you're winding in and you catch a dark silhouette from the corner of your eye come out of no-where a grab the jig, it's energizing. It's everything, from feeling the resistance of the current against the jig, sight casting squid over weed, or just those spontaneous one squid after another sessions, they're the fishing experience were all dreaming for. A good rod makes that experience so much sweeter.
You're not wrong!

Especially this bit:
Andrews wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:22 am

I feel the most important thing when you're doing some land-based EGI is comfort, if your rod is digging into your hands, heavy, it's just not going to be enjoyable.
Also applicable for other style of fishing too ofc. E.g. making 1000 casts for murray cod is much more bearable with a nice light rod and reel.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:26 am

The only egi rod I have is a Rovex 8ft6in graphite rod, I have never used it for squid but it works a treat for other applications like light surf casting etc,

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:01 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:26 am
The only egi rod I have is a Rovex 8ft6in graphite rod, I have never used it for squid but it works a treat for other applications like light surf casting etc,
I had that rod too, good value for money that rod.
Til someone broke into my car and took it (and other rods and reels too) :( that was years ago.

From that moment, I started building my arsenal to have at least one pair for each application. New purchases will be an upgrade, just like Solpara to Sephia BB. Raider to Black Label, etc.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”