Exceler reel in saltwater - viable?

Godzilla
Has liked: 4 times

Exceler reel in saltwater - viable?

Post by Godzilla » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:59 pm

G'day everyone, recently i was gifted with a Daiwa Exceler LT 4000D-C Spinning Reel. I pair it with a 6-10kg rod and thought that i am good to go to catch some fish off the piers. But then someone told me that this reel is meant to be used exclusively in freshwater only and that it doesn't have the magseal, other corrosion resistant mechanisms - basically saying that it will corrode if i use it in saltwater. Currently it is the only 4000 reel I got and I feel kind of bad that it cannot be used in saltwater (also because when i think of it, I don't really target the giant freshwater species that much in my fishing trips) Could i possibly get away with the corrosion by doing more frequent cleaning/ maintenance stuff or should i just get a dedicated saltwater reel?

Any comments or suggestions will be hugely appreciated, cheers :wt:

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Re: Exceler reel in saltwater - viable?

Post by Sebb » Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:28 pm

Godzilla wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:59 pm
G'day everyone, recently i was gifted with a Daiwa Exceler LT 4000D-C Spinning Reel. I pair it with a 6-10kg rod and thought that i am good to go to catch some fish off the piers. But then someone told me that this reel is meant to be used exclusively in freshwater only and that it doesn't have the magseal, other corrosion resistant mechanisms - basically saying that it will corrode if i use it in saltwater. Currently it is the only 4000 reel I got and I feel kind of bad that it cannot be used in saltwater (also because when i think of it, I don't really target the giant freshwater species that much in my fishing trips) Could i possibly get away with the corrosion by doing more frequent cleaning/ maintenance stuff or should i just get a dedicated saltwater reel?

Any comments or suggestions will be hugely appreciated, cheers :wt:
daiwa says its CRBB (corrosion resistant ball bearings).
But nothing is 100% proof. Note that it says resistant, not corrosion proof.
As long as you don't get it submerged or heavy splash, it should be ok to use for quite sometime. Run freshwater after use.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Godzilla
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Exceler reel in saltwater - viable?

Post by Godzilla » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:39 pm

Thx Sebb, yea that's how i feel as well. I am currently only land-based so most of the time my gears won't get excessively wet. I do, however, sometimes fish in the rain, don't know if that's sth to red flag, but I always run my gears with freshwater after use so hoping it will last a bit longer.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”