Double uni .. Braid to me mono

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Double uni .. Braid to me mono

Post by poodoo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:35 pm

4liters wrote:I can tie one in about a minute, and because it is just wrapping line around another it is a lot easier in the wind and the wet.
1 Min that's pretty impressive. Unfortunately I'm pretty blind and have fat finger syndrome when it comes to tying stuff on the go and will default to the easiest knot I know.

At home I can spend my time tying the FG lol.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:45 pm

Uni to Uni is a weak knot but easy to tie well so lots of fisho use it.
You can double it up which makes it noticeably stronger but then it becomes too thick.

A weaker knot well tied is better than a great knot poorly tied.

I would suggest looking at the albright and its variations improved, modified ect slim, quick, easy to tie and strong.

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:01 pm

I was an advanced Albright man until I kept having problems on the water.. I found the guides would eventually wear the knot to the point it broke and I lost a lure or a rig.. Double uni all the way never had an issue with it most blokes I know say the same. Tried an gh knot once it's strong but f@!k re tying it if it breaks. Double uni it's simple and effective
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

poodoo

Post by poodoo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:26 pm

I have all my knots outside of the guides so the wear and tear on the knot is not so much of an issue. Comes down to speed and strength when it breaks while fishing hence my use of the improved albright. I prefer to maximise fishing time when I'm out.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:53 pm

I have been using the double uni for ages, however I have been meaning to change over to the FG. The double uni seems wear out pretty quick, and doesnt run through the guides overly well. That being said I cant say I have had it go on me very often, only had it happen when its been a bit ragged after multiple trips and I have been too lazy to re-tie. I might have a look at the albright for lighter gear based on peoples comments here.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:21 pm

DougieK wrote:Slim beauty for thin lines, FG for heavier.

Slim beauty for everything for me.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:02 pm

As I stated in another post I'm thinking of using a double uni knot to join 30lb mono to 17lb mono for an overhead surf reel ( as a shock leader )

Is this my best choice ? on any other rig I would normally use a swivel to join on a leader, but in this case the knot needs to pass through 10 guides on the cast, the uni is simple and rather small in my eyes.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:17 pm

I was going to use the double uni for my overhead surf gear when I get around to re-spooling it too; 25lb mono to 50lb Ultima shock leader.

Not sure if any other knots for joining mono to mono are thinner than the double uni, but I haven't really looked too hard either.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:21 pm

I just use the FG now, used to use the slim beauty but don't tie it regularly and forget how to do it, so i just tie an FG.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:25 pm

4liters wrote:I was going to use the double uni for my overhead surf gear when I get around to re-spooling it too; 25lb mono to 50lb Ultima shock leader.

Not sure if any other knots for joining mono to mono are thinner than the double uni, but I haven't really looked too hard either.
blood knots are thinner, it can pay to lock them as they are prone to slipping if they aren't clinched properly
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”