Line problems

dezza68

Re: Line problems

Post by dezza68 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:26 pm

DougieK wrote:
dezza68 wrote:salmon wont touch anything above 4lb.?

What are you smoking?

The entirety of my salmon fishing gets done on Black Magic 60lb tough trace
Haha, not freelining in 4ft of gin clear water you wont. I can watch them come up to the bait and then turn away time after time. They get interested if I twitch it but wont take it unless its on 4lb.
Will probably be easier on the fly gear.
Cast, catch and put it back

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:35 pm

You sure they are salmon and not silver whiting or something? I'm pulling them out of less water than that at balcombe with my god damned kingy gear....
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:46 pm

I run 20lb for whiting, and don't have a problem. Was handy when battling a seal on the weekend. to be fair, I'm using 16oz sinkers to hold bottom which you aren't doing.

You shouldn't have issues hooking up sambps with even 10lb fluro tho. I don't use less than 10 for anything. In my experience sambos strike first, ask questions later

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:55 pm

dezza there are some larger tommy rough and mackeral hanging round the bottom of ppb atm. if you are in similar areas that may be what you're seeing. they are a lot more finicky than salmon and its very easy to confuse the species

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:57 pm

He free lining this could be the problem, are u certain ur not getting reefed? I am same as scraglor I use 20lb leader for whiting and if we see salmon busting up we change the rig to the closest lure we have and still get em..

I've caught carp up to 7+ kg on 6lb Fluro and snapper on 10lb.. I don't free line though..

Seems to me either ur slack line is getting reefed or ur knots aren't right.. Do u give the knots a bit of saliva?

Very odd.. Never been busted off on trevalley
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:19 pm

Basti wrote:dezza there are some larger tommy rough and mackeral hanging round the bottom of ppb atm. if you are in similar areas that may be what you're seeing. they are a lot more finicky than salmon and its very easy to confuse the species
Mate you might be right. I have caught some tommy rough recently in that area but only when it was a bit windier. More I think about it the fly gear is the way to go.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:32 pm

BIG GAV wrote:He free lining this could be the problem, are u certain ur not getting reefed? I am same as scraglor I use 20lb leader for whiting and if we see salmon busting up we change the rig to the closest lure we have and still get em..

I've caught carp up to 7+ kg on 6lb Fluro and snapper on 10lb.. I don't free line though..

Seems to me either ur slack line is getting reefed or ur knots aren't right.. Do u give the knots a bit of saliva?

Very odd.. Never been busted off on trevalley
My knots are fine, i use a tucked 5 turn blood knot which I have caught sharks on with no problem, you get a curly end to the line if a knot pulls out. Im doing this by sight so I can see the fish Im after so dont think Im getting reefed. I just think predatory seafish have much more bony mouths than carp. Im pretty sure im being bitten off.
Im going to try the fly gear and I think having something moving will let me get away with a 10lb leader.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:34 pm

Are you sure they're not leatherjackets or pike or something toothy like that? Those are the only fish I've seen that are capable of chewing through leader.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:44 pm

tommies and salmon WILL NOT bite you off on 8lb, no chance.
if they are looking at the bait and swimming off then maybe try a soft plastic or use the fly rod.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:46 pm

4liters wrote:Are you sure they're not leatherjackets or pike or something toothy like that? Those are the only fish I've seen that are capable of chewing through leader.
No its not either of those, it's just having to use very light line on fish that pull quite hard. I have tried longshanked hooks but it does reduce the bite frequency. Need some gentle wind and I'll give the fly gear a whirl. :-D

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”