How do you bait your flasher rig?

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

How do you bait your flasher rig?

Post by Sebb » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:06 pm

Snapper season is just around the corner.

So what do you think it's the best to bait the flasher rig such as black magic's snapper snatchers? Would like to know different ways and baits of people. Or maybe no flasher at all.

Calamari O-ring? 10cm squid strip? Half pilchard? Salmon fillet/piece? Cocktail mix?

Mine is usually a squid head on the 4/0 black magic's snapper snatcher.

:water:
Attachments
images (20).jpeg
images (21).jpeg
images (21).jpeg (9.45 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: How do you bait your flasher rig?

Post by Lightningx » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:21 pm

I like to mix it up Seb. Sometimes use half pillies, sometimes cubes, sometimes squid rings/strips :) just stocked up on my snatchers as well! :)

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:26 pm

Great topic Seb

I use both, plain and flasher hooks. I do tie my own but I also buy some on-line in packs of ten hooks for about $9 and tie my own rigs up.

I prefer to have as much hook as possible showing. The circle hooks work when the fish engulfs the bait, then as you load up the rod, the hook gets pulled around the corner of the mouth and most often a jaw hookup. So the bait doesn't need to be loaded on the hook (as the fish is going to engulf it anyway), or tight on it as you would for striking a fish that only "bites" at the bait. If a fish only bites at the bait on a circle hook, well most often it's not going to result in a hook up, so you loose the bait anyway BUT why chock up a circle hook, like a suicide baited hook, because it won't work as well with no hook showing.

Gl 6.PNG

Oh, Whiting and Tommie heads are great and I use them when I have them. Just hooked up like a lip hooked fish but through the jaw/mouth. The robustness of the head and solid hook up of the bait allows plenty of bait left after the pickers for the bigger snaps tp have a go

Cheers, Bugatti

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:46 pm

Agreed, great topic.
I like using 1/2 pillies (prefer the head end and put the hook through the bottom lip and out through the top of the head). Sometimes use a fish fillet, cutlet of eel or squid head & always leave plenty of the circle hook exposed so it can do it's job.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:00 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:46 pm
Agreed, great topic.
I like using 1/2 pillies (prefer the head end and put the hook through the bottom lip and out through the top of the head). Sometimes use a fish fillet, cutlet of eel or squid head & always leave plenty of the circle hook exposed so it can do it's job.

Glossy, you remind me of my mate Don. He prefers the head end of the Pillie as well and baits them exactly the same as you. I prefer the tail end. A perfect bait distribution coefficient of 0.5 :-D

It works really well , , , , well, except for the Pilchard that is :(

Cheers, Bug

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:07 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:00 pm
Mattblack wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:46 pm
Agreed, great topic.

Glossy, you remind me of my mate Don. He prefers the head end of the Pillie as well and baits them exactly the same as you. I prefer the tail end. A perfect bait distribution coefficient of 0.5 :-D

It works really well , , , , well, except for the Pilchard that is :(

Cheers, Bug
I have blind faith in a NZ article I read where they reckon snapper attack the head when hunting. Also as you mentioned they stay on the hook better (also spin less in a strong current)

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:56 pm

Interesting,... Seems like as long as there's a bit of bait and the hook is exposed, it should work. Providing they're hungry and engulf the whole thing.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:09 pm

Pilchard on the bottom one squid leg or strip on the upper one

John Dory

Post by John Dory » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:48 pm

A cube with a squid strip. Small squid head is good too. Half pillies on running rig so i can half hitch tail

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:36 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:26 pm
Great topic Seb

I use both, plain and flasher hooks. I do tie my own but I also buy some on-line in packs of ten hooks for about $9 and tie my own rigs up.

I prefer to have as much hook as possible showing. The circle hooks work when the fish engulfs the bait, then as you load up the rod, the hook gets pulled around the corner of the mouth and most often a jaw hookup. So the bait doesn't need to be loaded on the hook (as the fish is going to engulf it anyway), or tight on it as you would for striking a fish that only "bites" at the bait. If a fish only bites at the bait on a circle hook, well most often it's not going to result in a hook up, so you loose the bait anyway BUT why chock up a circle hook, like a suicide baited hook, because it won't work as well with no hook showing.

Gl 6.PNG

Oh, Whiting and Tommie heads are great and I use them when I have them. Just hooked up like a lip hooked fish but through the jaw/mouth. The robustness of the head and solid hook up of the bait allows plenty of bait left after the pickers for the bigger snaps tp have a go

Cheers, Bugatti
I bait.up the same as your pic

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”