Mono to Braid Advice

Charlie8003

Mono to Braid Advice

Post by Charlie8003 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:40 pm

Hi Guys I normally use 2000 size reels loaded with 8lb mono to flick tassie, Celta’s and the odd hard body lure.
Reels are due for new line and was thinking of moving to 20lb braid.
Would this be a suitable change, would I loose anything in distance with the lighter lures? Can I tie lure directly to braid or would you recommend using a leader? If the leader is better weight leader would be a good choice?
Never used braid before so I hope I am not asking to many dumb questions

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Re: Mono to Braid Advice

Post by Irishfisherman » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:17 pm

Charlie8003 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:40 pm
Hi Guys I normally use 2000 size reels loaded with 8lb mono to flick tassie, Celta’s and the odd hard body lure.
Reels are due for new line and was thinking of moving to 20lb braid.
Would this be a suitable change, would I loose anything in distance with the lighter lures? Can I tie lure directly to braid or would you recommend using a leader? If the leader is better weight leader would be a good choice?
Never used braid before so I hope I am not asking to many dumb questions
(Disclaimer) I am by no means an expert on this, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I’m guessing that if your using celta’s you target trout, and I think using braid for trout wouldn’t be the best idea as they have a tendency to jump and spit the hook, and generally mono will minimise their ability to do this due to its stretch which absorbs the shock, additionally given that for trout fishing you’ll often be fishing areas with overgrown trees and sharp rocks, braid is likely to get frayed will can result in some lost fish. If your are going for braid I don’t think 20lb would be necessary probably 12lb max, in my opinion. You definitely have to use a leader as braid doesn’t offer any abrasion resistance from the fishes teeth. I know lots of guys swear by braid but I don’t know if the stigma is really justified. Hope this helps but definitely get a second opinion before making up your mind.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:24 pm

Nah 20llb is way over kill for a 2000 size real depends where your fishing but 6lb braid would be fine .Tie a maybe depending where your 8lb fluro leader i like the improved albright knot to join leader to braid it is strong and easy to tie in any weather condition,s

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:28 pm

(Disclaimer) I am also not an expert on braid.

A tip i got from Mick at Hooked On Bait and Tackle at Hoppers Crossing that i use is to first run some mono backing onto your reel. That way you only need 100m or so of braid (depending on your fishing situation) which is much more expensive to fill a reel with.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Charlie8003

Post by Charlie8003 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:23 pm

Thanks guys appreciate all the advice

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:46 pm

sounds like 6lb mono would be your go.

Charlie8003

Post by Charlie8003 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:51 pm

Yeah I am kind of getting that impression, one of my reels has 2 spools so might try braid on one just to give it a go

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:57 pm

6 or 8lb braid. 20lb is for sharks not trout.

Use a good quality braid, the new release shimano karikai x4 is very good braid and at 30 bucks easily affordable to everyone.

Use a good leader to join your braid at the lure end do not tie braid directly to any lure.

Use a double uni knot to tie braid to leader.
Once your a bit more experienced learn to tie the fg knot or some other more complicated but superior knots .

It is almost a guarantee to have wind knots as a novice braid user so don't be put off by that, cut the windknot out to avoid beginner frustration and carry on.

Good luck and let us know how you go.
Cheers

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:03 pm

What do you want to do with heavier line btw? Or what makes you think you need heavier line for?

I'm a fan of balanced gear for the target species.
Smaller fish species in smaller water then use lighter rod reel line etc.
I can go to the details of the reasons behind it but I reckon I can write a book about it, lol.

So if you're using it for trout on a 2000 reel, I'd say 6lb braid. Thicker line means it can get blown by the wind easier, more drag, etc, hence harder to cast small light lures. Thinner line is better to cast light lures. Same with the leader.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Charlie8003

Post by Charlie8003 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:21 pm

Not sure to be honest was working along the live of replacing with a similar diameter material with added strength but thinking about it agree 20lb would be overkilll

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”