Which flurocarbon leaders are the best?

SFP Chick

Re: Which flurocarbon leaders are the best?

Post by SFP Chick » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:55 am

The verdict ???
Attachments
Fluro Leader.jpg
Fluro Leader.jpg (132.52 KiB) Viewed 533 times

bradp
Has liked: 42 times

Post by bradp » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:17 am

ecofreak wrote:To be honest Dave1, you dont want Fluoro for rock or surf, line is too hard and does not stretch enough In the conditions you are fishing I am sure your concern is not so much whether the line will sink or not or if it will be less visible. With the sand and rock your line will be rubbing stretching scratching etc. Jinkai mono is probably better suited to that sort of application or momoi by highcatch. It is very abrasive resistant stretchy so therefore forgiving in the conditions.

I recently bought some Linesystems Fluoro (http://www.linesystem.jp/english/produc ... no020.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) to compare results while bait fishing landbased from the beach, rocks and piers chasing gummies, snapper, jewies etc.

My setup up consists of 20lb braid to a 3-4 meter shock/casting leader of 40lb Jinkai plus. I would assume that this shock/casting leader would combat the lack of stretch in the Fluoro hook leader?

On a side note, will snelling greatly reduce the line strength?

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:24 am

ecofreak wrote:I think that before you start calling any particular fluorocarbon the best it should be tested to see if it is actually real fluorocarbon, a lot of the lines mentioned are actually hybrid lines being sold as fluorocarbon, cigerette lighter and singe the end of the line, if its black its fluoro, if its clear and black its hybrid line and if its clear its mono and labeled as fluoro.
Thanks for the tip Paul. Such a simple test but wouldn't known it if it wasn't told.

Cheers :)

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

ecofreak

Post by ecofreak » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:34 am

Rod Bender wrote:
ecofreak wrote: ...............lighter and singe the end of the line, if its black its fluoro, if its clear and black its hybrid line and if its clear its mono and labeled as fluoro...........
So I singed my Daiwa TDR 'fluro'and it was clear with a black tip. So is this what you would call a 'hybrid' line? If so, it is obviously not as good as the real thing?
thanks
Jim
Just because it is not 100% Fluorocarbon does not mean it is poor quality or not suited to the fishing you choose to do, it will just mean that the light refraction rate will not be the same as water so it may cast a heavier shadow on the ground or it may not sink like pure fluoro. In many ways a hybrid line can be better suited, smaller knot size, more abrasive resistant, more supple and less memory are some of the advantages of hybrid lines.

Understanding the lines makes it easier to choose for the application you choose to use it for. For me I use mono line to hang Christmas cards on as it does not suit any style of fishing I do. As I have no need for it in a fishing application I dont buy it. I do have various fluoro's and hybrids for different types of fishing. That said I did see a suspending mono at the Osaka Tackle Show that should be available here soon.
Regards Paul Carter
Gan Craft Pro Staff
http://www.egikuma.blogspot.com

Dave1

Post by Dave1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Thanks paul for the feedback.
BIGGER THE CHALLENGE THE BIGGER THE FISH

Return to “Hooks, Line & Sinkers”