purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Soft Plastics Newbie

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:39 pm

saph wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:42 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:24 pm
yes in the direction of the wind, the boat will drift generally in the direction of the wind in most cases.
if this is working for you then so be it, but the benefits of braid far outweigh the use of mono in lure fishing, you (and dennis barden) are the 1% that i know of that fish lures on mono line.
Make that 3 you know that lure fish on mono (all my reels but 1 have mono)
Missing out big time imo, But whatever floats ya boat skipper!!! :nw:

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:11 am

purple5ive wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:24 pm
colnick wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:02 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:04 pm
Are you casting in the direction of your drift, and if so how are you feeling bites on coiled up monofilament?

25m is plenty if you know the fish are there.
Not quite sure I have interpreted your question correctly purple. When using plastics from a drifting boat I am usually casting with or across the wind and working the lure on retrieve, regardless of drift direction. If drifting using bait I simply cast anywhere in a 180 degree arc away from the direction of drift. When shore based I simply walk and cast as I go. I cover ground more quickly with plastics than bait because I leave the bait in place much longer. Whatever, I always have a feel for the bait or lure. I simply don't have coiled up monofilament. The rod is always in my hand.
I agree with the 25 metres. Many of my casts are aimed at specific points and can be much shorter.
Cheers, Col.
yes in the direction of the wind, the boat will drift generally in the direction of the wind in most cases.
if this is working for you then so be it, but the benefits of braid far outweigh the use of mono in lure fishing, you (and dennis barden) are the 1% that i know of that fish lures on mono line.
for me mono is too stretchy to detect bites, which is important in lure fishing. flathead are an exception as they just swallow lures.
deeper water again is another scenario where you need the lure to sink to the bottom.
mono stretches wayy too much and is thicker than braid creating more drag and gets carried away in the current taking a lot longer to get to the bottom.
braid has zero stretch, so bites on the drop are noticed if your watching the line, and also sinks faster in the current being quite thin
i cant even imagine how the small ticks in the line are noticeable on mono line, specially when breaming with plastics..
bait fishing is a different scenario..
as i said earlier if its working for you then so be it.

but in the case of the OP he might be fishing deeper water, which means totally different techniques..
I can't disagree with the braid advantages you have pointed out purple, but I was concerned that people new to lure fishing might think that braid is essential in every circumstance. I simply don't think that is the case. I was interested to see that there are still a few diehards who do OK with mono as I do. Anyway, enough!
Happy new year and good fishing,
Col.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:43 am

To me 100% it's a necessity when lure fishing. The only time I use mono on lures is when I'm using a crank bait specifically in certain conditions when fishing for bream.

I wouldnt recomend it if i didnt think it would make a big difference..
Chalk and cheese for me..

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:29 am

Braid for me all the way with lures 100%
When you're trying not to spook the fish in shallow water as well and to get distance and remain undetected then Braid absolutely.
Braid will get you casting further, is more sensitive to bites.
Main drawbacks with braid can be tangles if you dont watch what you doing or it's poor quality. Also braid when it knots is a dog to try untangle. Also it will cut your hands and your mono if you let it cut across your line (if fishing off a boat).
Love Braid but it has it's place. It doesn't wear well on reef or sharp objects, that's where mono is better or just try a good flurocarbkn leader.
If you don't have a good rod, reel & braid with the right jig heads/lures, it will will be more frustrating, a waste of time and money and may cause you to chuck in the whole lot as Too Hard.
Cheers
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:42 am

FishnMiss wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:29 am
Braid for me all the way with lures 100%
When you're trying not to spook the fish in shallow water as well and to get distance and remain undetected then Braid absolutely.
Braid will get you casting further, is more sensitive to bites.
Main drawbacks with braid can be tangles if you dont watch what you doing or it's poor quality. Also braid when it knots is a dog to try untangle. Also it will cut your hands and your mono if you let it cut across your line (if fishing off a boat).
Love Braid but it has it's place. It doesn't wear well on reef or sharp objects, that's where mono is better or just try a good flurocarbkn leader.
If you don't have a good rod, reel & braid with the right jig heads/lures, it will will be more frustrating, a waste of time and money and may cause you to chuck in the whole lot as Too Hard.
Cheers
The last sentence is absolutely spot on!!!

I've seen many pull their hair out and scream about the fact they cant catch a fish on lure. Dig a bit deeper and the rod is a glass rod, with an oversized reel and mono or rope like braid and plastics that just dont work.. And you wonder why they struggle and give up.

I understand not everyone has the $$$ but there a several good second hand gear buy and sell pages on Facebook and the likes these days, start there and upgrade eventually if its your cup of tea..

Fyi. My first attempt at plastics was with a fiberglass combo with mono line. I learned very quickly why it wasnt a good idea after i listened to people who were catching fish on lures in the days I was starting out, took plenty of advice and never looked back after. It's a big learning curve but the rewards are fantastic..

Did I mention the fight feels so so much better on braided line than mono?

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:26 pm

You really are doing yourself an injustice by not using braid, give it a go

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:57 pm

Ditto to what everyone else has said.
I switched to pretty much braid only two years ago and have never looked back.
Braid allows you to feel so much more when you fish lures, the difference in responsiveness is incredible. Bites are easy to feel, easy to decipher snags/hangups/bumps from actual bites too. Once you get the hang of it you can also start to feel exactly when your lure has hit bottom and what kind of bottom you're fishing. I feel like i can work a lure so much better just by being able to feel these things, not to mention the casting distance.
People complain about wind knots with braid but personally when I used only 'premium' mono I found myself getting birds-nested nearly every session and it drove me up the wall. Since I switched I think i've only had to deal with a single wind knot. Mono also has an awful amount of memory.
Each to their own really but braid really does make the difference.

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:59 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:26 pm
You really are doing yourself an injustice by not using braid, give it a go
I think Leronzia said in a post back in November that he did get some braid. I assume he has been using it since?

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:25 pm

if fishing soft plastic,s braid hand,s down you can feel everything watch your line you can see the hit before you feel it through your rod

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”