Soft plastics: as many species as I can possibly catch

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Re: Soft plastics: as many species as I can possibly catch

Post by e.welch » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:28 pm

got a decent hit but missed it caught a little slimy and a yakka but the yakka was on bait. surprisingly no squid

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:45 am

I went down to Mordialloc in the evening. No species to add to my list, but the pinkies were going nuts. I had two fish break the leader -- one of them went for a decent run under the pier -- which saw me loosen the drag a bit more than I normally do. At one point a large eel cruised by the pier. Now that would've been an unexpected addition to my list ... even though I was totally unequipped to deal with anything like that.

All fish were caught on a 1.25g jighead intended for worm-style plastics. One fish was caught on an imitation squid (2" Keitech) whereas the others were caught on brightly-coloured worms, as seen in the photo. That worm, incidentally, is one of my favourite plastics, and I chose it because of the murkiness of the water. Pinkies and salmon alike really seem to respond to the fluoro worms. The worms were given a rubdown with Procure's squid scent.

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:30 am

ChrisTaylor wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:45 am

I went down to Mordialloc in the evening. No species to add to my list, but the pinkies were going nuts. I had two fish break the leader -- one of them went for a decent run under the pier -- which saw me loosen the drag a bit more than I normally do. At one point a large eel cruised by the pier. Now that would've been an unexpected addition to my list ... even though I was totally unequipped to deal with anything like that.

All fish were caught on a 1.25g jighead intended for worm-style plastics. One fish was caught on an imitation squid (2" Keitech) whereas the others were caught on brightly-coloured worms, as seen in the photo. That worm, incidentally, is one of my favourite plastics, and I chose it because of the murkiness of the water. Pinkies and salmon alike really seem to respond to the fluoro worms. The worms were given a rubdown with Procure's squid scent.
Nice stuff, idk if it's a me problem or the sites problem but I can never see your photos

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:42 am

Yeah photos never show up.for me either

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:55 am

These are the recent pix. I figured linking direct from Google Photos would work, but clearly it doesn't -- although some people seem to be able to see them. I'll add them as attachments in the future.
Attachments
mysteryfish.jpg
tommy.jpg
trev.jpg
snapper.jpg
ep.jpg

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:17 pm

Oh yes and I forgot to ask, what plastic was you using?

e.welch

Post by e.welch » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:38 pm

i cant seem to get pinkies on lures they just seem to elusive do you have any advice for the reatrieve so then they will attack and sps to use

e.welch

Post by e.welch » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:38 pm

i cant seem to get pinkies on lures they just seem to elusive do you have any advice for the reatrieve so then they will attack and sps to use

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:31 pm

e.welch wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:38 pm
Favourite SP's for pinkies would be ZMan Slim Swimz in Motor Oil and ZMan Streakz in Pearl.
The retrieve that works best for me at least is to cast out, let the plastic sink to the bottom and let it sit for 10-15 seconds then wind in your slack. Sometimes i'll wait up to 30 seconds, patience helps because pinkies almost always take when the plastic isn't moving.
If you get no hits on the initial drop, give your rod 2 or 3 rapid lifts while winding in slack again. Wait for your plastic to hit bottom and again wait another 10-15 seconds, if not more. Repeat this process until you've worked the lure back to you.
If you're getting hits but no takes, give the lure a few smaller jerks and wait. Often they will hit your plastic a few times before they decide to actually take. You'll know when you get a take, and when you do, lift the rod and set the hook.
If you've cast 3 or more times in the same place and gotten no hits or takes, move and try somewhere else.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:42 pm

croe04 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:31 pm
e.welch wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:38 pm
Favourite SP's for pinkies would be ZMan Slim Swimz in Motor Oil and ZMan Streakz in Pearl.
The retrieve that works best for me at least is to cast out, let the plastic sink to the bottom and let it sit for 10-15 seconds then wind in your slack. Sometimes i'll wait up to 30 seconds, patience helps because pinkies almost always take when the plastic isn't moving.
If you get no hits on the initial drop, give your rod 2 or 3 rapid lifts while winding in slack again. Wait for your plastic to hit bottom and again wait another 10-15 seconds, if not more. Repeat this process until you've worked the lure back to you.
If you're getting hits but no takes, give the lure a few smaller jerks and wait. Often they will hit your plastic a few times before they decide to actually take. You'll know when you get a take, and when you do, lift the rod and set the hook.
If you've cast 3 or more times in the same place and gotten no hits or takes, move and try somewhere else.
Try using lighter jigheads to increase the sink time and giving the plastic less time on the bottom. I work plastics for pinkies a bit slower than most because I'm used to bream fishing but I get the vast majority of my hits when the plastic is falling back down to the bottom rather than sitting at rest on the bottom. The other thing I'll add is that a little bit of scent on the plastic can make a big difference, I use procure bloody tuna mostly but everyone has different preferences. Plastics wise I'm using similar to you but added the jiggle fishing worms to the list last year after pulling some great fish on them.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”