Which soft plastics in Port Phillip Bay to save your life !

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Which soft plastics in Port Phillip Bay to save your life !

Post by cobby » Sun May 10, 2020 12:15 pm

4liters wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:32 am
I've found Zman paddletails in Bleeding Banana to work really well, better than motor oil ones. No idea why, it looks nothing like an actual fish.

cobby wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:21 am
100mm Squidgy Wriggler. You can catch literally everything you normally target aside from Garfish and large amounts of squid in PPB from Snapper and Flathead to Bream and EPs all with the 1 plastic
I like these but they get chewed up pretty quick. Do you use the bloodworm colour mostly?
I've used almost all colours and done well. When you tear one around the hook exit rerig it half a mm to the other side on a fresher bit of plastic. Can usually get a dozen or so pinkies and a couple of frogs off the one tail doing that

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun May 10, 2020 4:56 pm

I have been using warmisham soft plastics lately also z mans. Plus I have most of the others I am a sucker for them. As for jig heads I use many different size and style from a sixth of an ounce up to 1 ounce. I always wondered why pumpkinseed, motor oil work so well but I have pulled up some fish with small bait fish the same colour in their guts.
I tend to vary the style of plastic ie curly tail versus flick,paddle tail to the fish I am targeting. I like to drift a lot and for flathead you have to be on the bottom it’s either bigger jig head to match the speed of the drift or Carolina method.

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Sun May 10, 2020 7:33 pm

I’m very new to soft plastic fishing but enjoy it a lot. What’s more important? Style of plastic or colour? Curious to hear your opinions.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun May 10, 2020 8:01 pm

Troy McLure wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:33 pm
I’m very new to soft plastic fishing but enjoy it a lot. What’s more important? Style of plastic or colour? Curious to hear your opinions.
I reckon first profile and how you work it, then colour.

ecoronad
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ecoronad » Sun May 10, 2020 8:37 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:01 pm
Troy McLure wrote:
I reckon first profile and how you work it, then colour.
Totally agree. That's why the bath tub or swim test is almost mandatory - so that you know what the plastic (that you spent your hard earned money on) does when you "twitch", "lift", "pause", "fast roll" or "drop". Even leader size re: 6lb vs 12lb has an effect on the action. It's pretty eye opening the reactions some fish make to different types or combinations of retrieves. Eg. Flathead - a couple of long rod tip raises combined with a slow winding of the reel handle to accommodate the ensuing slack line so that you can feel the weight of the jig head (this action attracts the flatties from around the area and they swim over to investigate). Then a couple of small hops with pauses in between (this action allows the attracted flatties to "ambush" your soft plastic). Quite often, it's during this small hop retrieve that you will just feel a sudden weight, and strike instinctively.

The weight of the jig head and shape also needs to be considered due to it's effect on the action of the plastic. Like I mentioned previously, speak to someone in a tackle store who has plenty of experience. Unfortunately, this forum will only give you a small glimpse of what to look for.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sun May 10, 2020 10:53 pm

Troy McLure wrote:
I personally think that other factors come in to play first such as presentation and whether the fish are feeding. But then i am not a fish, so im just guessing. I have seen a video recently of Kingfish eating every piece of burley dropped to them and totally ignoring the piece with the hook in it.
I truly believe that all those shapes and colours are designed to catch fishermen.. not fish.

edit: and my two double sided trays of squid jigs will tell you that i am one of those fishermen. :tu:
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Mon May 11, 2020 9:30 am

I think you are all right about the importance of a soft plastics movement through the water and silhouette being greater than colour.
I am also glad that other factors such as leader weight, thickness and jig head size that affect the swimming abilities has been mentioned. I'd also add that the knot used makes a difference. A Lefty's Kreh/loop knot adds more freedom to the movement than a stiffer uni-knot does.

I think the closer you can minic a baitfish in silhouette, movement and colour the better your chances are for a strike. Not knocking the insane range of colours offered for soft plastics, but I feel that different colours work better for different locations. I think fishing clear waters of my local pier is a completely different ball game compared to the murky brown waters of other locations. You've also got different species and every location so who knows, I think like squid fishing finding what best for your location is key.

Those double sided trays rock, though mine is full of doubles of my favourite colours.

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Mon May 11, 2020 9:36 am

Has anyone ever tried fish arrow? There's paddle tail and split tail. It looks good.
Attachments
IMG_20200511_093537.jpg
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 11, 2020 9:55 am

Tear Easily, i didnt go back for more after my first pack...

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon May 11, 2020 10:06 am

Seb85 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:36 am
Has anyone ever tried fish arrow? There's paddle tail and split tail. It looks good.
130 looks spectacular.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”