10th of Sep. First RED! On the board.

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: 10th of Sep. First RED! On the board.

Post by purple5ive » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:34 pm

Well done that's a great season opener..

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:46 pm

Glad someone got some!

Our grand total today was six sh1t sharks and no snapper.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:48 am

DougieK wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:46 pm
Glad someone got some!

Our grand total today was six sh1t sharks and no snapper.

Couple good days next week, theyll go!

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:48 am

fishnut wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:32 pm
Nice work mate and awesome report as usual
Cheers mate appreciate it

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:49 am

Kimtown wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:07 pm
Good stuff mate! I'll be out that side of the bay this weekend with my cousin. Usually fish the eastern side personally, but with Nella ramp out of use atm makes it too much of a trek to get to the good fishing, so western side it is
good luck mate!! youll like this side.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:49 am

Bugatti wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:23 pm
Great report Sam and well done :a_goodjob:

You're right about the adrenaline kicking in when there is no mistake. Most exciting fish to catch, the first season red. I bet even though it's a formality, the netting of the first is always a nervous time.

Love ya work :thumbsup:

Cheers, an envious Bug
Mate the net job was horrendous :rofl: . was so nervous, always the way with the first. Cheers!!!

maxmikoo

Post by maxmikoo » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:57 am

STriplett1997 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:31 pm
G'day guys!

Been very itchy for awhile now. Itchy for Red. Constantly on my mind, checking weather apps and eyeing off days to hunt these red fish.

On the weekend, I noticed Tuesday looked really good. light SW breeze, Barometer continuing to rise from the day before to a high pressure of 1028. With the tides in the arvo lacking flow, i made the effort to launch at 4am and target the strongest tide of the day. Also absolutely buzzing to have my new Unit installed, ready to go. Lowrance HDS Live 7.

Launched at time planned, and motored straight up to the Boulton channel, armed with some frozen couta caught the week before. Not a huge fan of solely relying on frozen baits, but the tide was running too hard and it being dark still didn't help my case to get a tub full of freshies.

Having arrived at my planned area to fish, i started sounding for the first time. Running the traditional sonar and the Downscan together. -11 sensitivity on the traditional, and 68% on the down scan, bumping it up higher when i saw something that looked like snapper to me on the traditional. Sure enough after sounding for about 15, 20 minutes... i have two marks, on the bottom. Now... this being my first time marking them up, i wasn't completely sure. But i took a punt.
Marked the fish into the gps, and motored up current 40m, set the anchor and drifted back to the mark where my baits would be spread out ontop.
The sun had just cracked now, and the first arrival. Nod nod nod, bend, buckle zzz. To my surprise, a nice 4kg gummy. How good is that???
rodsrodsrods.jpg

Another hour went passed and the water finally began to slow (this was ideal as the barometer had just stabilised at 1028hpa. Great bite time. As soon as that happened, ZZZZZ.... buckled. Andrenaline kicking in now, no mistaking this one. This is a red. I had my heart in my mouth the whole fight, even knowing that it wasn't a huge fish. Missed this bad!!!! The head knocks and short zippy runs, just awesome stuff. Boat side, and into the net. A few screams of joy came after. 4.3kg, 75cm, a good start. Especially after 3 trips prior of donuts. But more than anything, im over the moon with my new unit, justified the $1400 thats for sure. They better look out for the rest of the season. ALL FISH took couta.
snap compressed.jpg
bothcomperessed.jpg

The run in tide ended, and i motored out of Boultons in the entrance, and sounded the edges. Found some more marks!! Anchored and fished the tide, but being a slower tide i dont think it helped, and the barometer started to fall. No bite.

Cheers guys!
Well i know it's an old post but i'm hoping that works in my favour and you've worked out the kinks. After sounding and fishing for abt 15 trips this season (yep i know, about 4 times a week since my first trip) we realised the sounder from our old boat that hasn't been touched in years was **** house. An old 300 watt garmin. I'm lucky enough to have been gifted an HDS7 live for my bday and i'm wondering if you've worked out the kinks n could help me with how u run it for ppb.
cheers max

Tackleberry
Has liked: 299 times

Post by Tackleberry » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:25 am

He was last active 2019 ....... like a lot here they left I think to Face ache page's
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:02 pm

Tackleberry wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:25 am
He was last active 2019 ....... like a lot here they left I think to Face ache page's
He's come along way....he's doing guides now.

maxmikoo

Post by maxmikoo » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:43 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:02 pm
Tackleberry wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:25 am
He's come along way....he's doing guides now.
Wow, good for him, i suppose i'll have to work it out myself

Return to “Snapper Fishing”