Tasmanian fishing license money is better use then VIC, it snapper reseaching

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Re: Tasmanian fishing license money is better use then VIC, it snapper reseaching

Post by fishingvic » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:24 pm
If I apply this principle to selecting my flasher colour it would increase e chances of getting more bite
No flasher here... just a few Lumo beads and a simple strip of fresh squid.
lb.JPG
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Bugatti

Re: Tasmanian fishing license money is better use then VIC, it snapper reseaching

Post by Bugatti » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:20 am

croe04 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:34 pm
Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:24 pm
If I apply this principle to selecting my flasher colour it would increase e chances of getting more bite
I think with bait fishing its a bit different, i'm not one hundred percent sold on the whole flasher idea, but with bait fishing i'd be focused more on bait presentation and hook exposure, it's important to consider if your bait will sit naturally in the current, or will it spin around like a merry go round because of its shape? Hook exposure is equally as important, hypothetically, you're not gonna catch many fish with a weeny little hook through a big bait like a pillie.
fishingvic wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:56 pm

No flasher here... just a few Lumo beads and a simple strip of fresh squid.

As a Bait Fisho, agreed on Bait Presentation is most important. And as you mentioned croe, yes, all of your above. A mate cross hooks (pillie is perpendicular to hook/line) his half pillie and it spins like a propeller, and wonders why he doesn't hook up, even after we keep telling him not to.

On the flashers, yes, I think they are a different principle to lures. They act like an attractant, similar to Jon's lumo beads. Anything to make your well presented bait standout, is a good thing. I vary my baits on the rods and even vary baits on the same two hook paternoster rigs. Never the same bait on both hooks. But equally, vary rods with and without flashers. I have noticed a BIG difference with flashers. One night, a rod with flashers caught 80% of the Snapper, out doing the other three non flasher rods combined.

Not sure about lures and soft plastics (I chuck them well, back into my tackle box after being frustrated). I assume as a moving "bait" it has something to do with type of sp, action of the sp, action of the angler moving the sp, colour of sp (match the hatch maybe) and who knows what else. You guys obviously know the code and do it well.

But as a "static" bait that bait fishing is, it is more about attracting the bite to a fixed bait. So flashers and/or lumos work.

BUT as a bait , , , , nothing beats fresh, clean, neat and presentation (even without a flasher). A piece of white squid with a lumo, simple but gun effective. Or a simple well presented pillie, traditional because it works.

Cheers, Bugatti

IFISHALOT
Has liked: 38 times

Post by IFISHALOT » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:56 pm

Bright Pink Soft Plastics with clear bellies with silver fleck have been my go to for 3 seasons now.
Many times I have been out and smashing the fish when everyone else around me is getting donuts and thats even the bait fisherman

Heres just a sample of 1 2 hour quick session
https://youtu.be/uPB5ijbYJ-o
Associated with Strike Pro, Jigstar, Daiichi, Lumica, Mapso, Bushranger Lures, Eureka Lures, Senshi, Sax Scent, TiCA, Victory Knives, Tonic Sunglasses & McLaughlin's Bait[url]http://www.jurofishing.com

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:57 pm

All I can say is a hook with some nice smelly bait seems to out fish everything else in the deep water off lakes entrance. My theory is at 30-50 meters most days the fish can't see very far. They must work on smell. I have seen so many good snapper fishers from melb come out on the charter boat with their own SPs and rigs, within an hour they are fishing paternosters with pillie,squid and fillets of coots.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:58 pm

I believe lure action is what gets their attention rather than the color. Depending on depth and how the fish look on the sounder, I might use a paddletail or curltail lure; I'll alter the retrieve as well from aggressive jerks on heavy jigheads, to slow-sink and dead-stick using 1/12 or less weighted jigheads.

As for colors, I really haven't found anything that's a standout...green, white, red, nuclear, natural, all similar results.

Return to “Snapper Fishing”