Snapper - Unlocking the Simple Code

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
Bugatti

Snapper - Unlocking the Simple Code

Post by Bugatti » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:15 am

I think, along with Squid, Snapper are one of the stupidest fish there is. And surprisingly one of the easiest to catch, if you know the simple things of what "stupid" does. It's just trying to find that what works and doing it.

They are Scavengers more than they are Predators. If they are on the chew, they would take anything anytime. Which unfortunately is a BAD thing because some Fishos don't see that as an "odd thing to normal" and unfortunately will fish for Snapper that way and struggle to maintain success. And when the Snapper aren't on a hot bite but need to be properly fished for, what worked when the Snapper were hungry and on a hot bite, won't work when they are choosy. Now this is not to take any achievements away from those that do catch Snapper, because it is about finding "The Simple Code" and confidently backing yourself, which is what the success is all about.

I am jealous as, because here in SA we don't have the same Land-based Snapper opportunities that you guys have there in Victoria.

But by boat it is the same principle, be it that Land-based Snapper are a bit more "particular", hence get to know the "stuff" and what simple "stuff" works there and put the plan into action.

It took a few trips to Black Point SA (boat), to work out what worked and what worked there. Once the simple art of fishing that location was worked out , , , , BOOM

Snapper BP1.PNG
Snapper BP1.PNG (164.15 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

Snapper BP2.PNG
Snapper BP2.PNG (91.07 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

Each location has it's specifics , , , , weather, wind, time, tide, rig, bait, burley etc. Just need to find that locations simple code.

Things that I find are a good starting point.

Keep it simple. No need to complicate your fishing efforts.
A simple rig (for that location) works better than complicating it up.
A sinker to "just" grab bottom, no need to have big unnecessary weights.
Good fresh bait can't be beat. With old smelly bait, you are behind the 8 ball.
Well presented bait.
Burley or not to burley, cube or not to cube , , , , each place has its "what works" best.

These are just a few of my favourite things.

Cheers, Bugatti

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Snapper - Unlocking the Simple Code

Post by Sebb » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:12 pm

Holy moly Bugatti's macaroni !
I have never caught that many mega red, even with mates on a boat.
Yes scavengers they are. But still, if I knew the secret and always catching everytime I go fishing, I'd be the richest person in the world.
Note: I'm not the richest person in the world.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:29 pm

That’s so true Mr Bug!

It’s taken me and my mate a long time to work out when certain places fish best but the rewards are awesome once you do figure it out! :P

Cheers :tu:

Paulanderson
Has liked: 59 times

Post by Paulanderson » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:57 pm

Hi Bugs

While over many mainly Christmas holidays I had really worked out how to catch KGW pretty much at will and good YFW off the beach when the tides were right, I had very little success with Snapper at Black Point. I think part of the problem was the boat was a fairly small tinny so had limited ability to range far. The only decent snapper I caught there was after dark on a whiting rig off the end of the reef - probably 3 to 4 m of water - and a fluke to say the least. A few times we tried at "known" snapper spots such as the "harvester patch" but only a few pinkies were caught. Anyway you certainly worked out where and when to go.

Paul

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:27 am

Paulanderson wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:57 pm
Hi Bugs

While over many mainly Christmas holidays I had really worked out how to catch KGW pretty much at will and good YFW off the beach when the tides were right, I had very little success with Snapper at Black Point. I think part of the problem was the boat was a fairly small tinny so had limited ability to range far. The only decent snapper I caught there was after dark on a whiting rig off the end of the reef - probably 3 to 4 m of water - and a fluke to say the least. A few times we tried at "known" snapper spots such as the "harvester patch" but only a few pinkies were caught. Anyway you certainly worked out where and when to go.

Paul
Hi Paul.

Great spot Black Point

You have done better than me, I'm a KGW Dunce. Tried and tried but to no avail. Trying to work out the KGW Code I would say is almost like The Da Vinci Code

ting code 1.PNG

But I have to say those Golden Bars of Yellow Fin Whiting around there are great, Plump Buggers too. Took us a while to work them out but got them last few years.

On the Snapper, sad thing is there are a few grounds only a few clicks out, and even in the bay BUT are quite locals spots. I was given them and know the locals (as they gave them to me) BUT I never fish them, as it's a quick way to get unstuck with the locals. They find someone there or think I might have blah blah blah, so I keep clean.

What I'm really spewing about, is with the ban coming this week, was going tomorrow (Monday) but the guy who was coming with me has pulled the pin. So only a local gab at Snaps Monday nite.

I'll PM you :-D

When they lift the Ban, that is where I'm heading

Cheers, Bugatti

Return to “Snapper Fishing”