Pinkie/Snapper plastics

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Pinkie/Snapper plastics

Post by croe04 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:06 pm

Hey all

Gonna grab some plastics for kayak fishing, thinking Zman Jerk Shads along with Berkley gulp nemesis. Already got my hands on some 4inch curly tails which I hear are the bomb as well. Gonna pair them with 1/4 1/0 - 3/0 jigheads.
Any recommendations on colours? I hear coconut ice and pearl are good zman colours, and glitter pink and white glow are good berkley colours ... any others?
In terms of actions, whats the go? the old hop hop pause retrieve never fails, what about vertical jigging?

cheers

croe

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Pinkie/Snapper plastics

Post by mazman » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:32 pm

croe04 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:06 pm
Hey all

Gonna grab some plastics for kayak fishing, thinking Zman Jerk Shads along with Berkley gulp nemesis. Already got my hands on some 4inch curly tails which I hear are the bomb as well. Gonna pair them with 1/4 1/0 - 3/0 jigheads.
Any recommendations on colours? I hear coconut ice and pearl are good zman colours, and glitter pink and white glow are good berkley colours ... any others?
In terms of actions, whats the go? the old hop hop pause retrieve never fails, what about vertical jigging?

cheers

croe
For pinkies I mainly use 3" zman slim swims, 4" jiggle fishing worm and 3" gulp nemesis.
and for snapper the jiggle worm still gets a run, zman 3.5" trick swims and 5" gulp jerk shads and 4" gulp minnows.

Depending on where you're fishing it would also be worth grabbing lighter jigheads, imo it's worth having 1/12, 1/8 and 1/6 as well for a slower sink rate.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:55 pm

mazman wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:32 pm
croe04 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:06 pm
Hey all

cheers

croe
For pinkies I mainly use 3" zman slim swims, 4" jiggle fishing worm and 3" gulp nemesis.
and for snapper the jiggle worm still gets a run, zman 3.5" trick swims and 5" gulp jerk shads and 4" gulp minnows.

Depending on where you're fishing it would also be worth grabbing lighter jigheads, imo it's worth having 1/12, 1/8 and 1/6 as well for a slower sink rate.
Already plenty of 1/8 jigheads in my tacklebox, just harder to find ones with larger hook sizes, same issue with 1/10 and 1/12. I'd be chasing larger pinkies, (high 30's to mid 40's) and maybe snaps so some 4-5 inch plastics are probably the go but if I keep getting bites and no hookups i'll scale down and use ~3 inch plastics paired with lighter jigheads and smaller hooks. I'll be concentrating around ricketts point and the poles at princess pier, with the odd trip further south to mt martha/mornington.
Cheers for the help maz!

IFISHALOT
Has liked: 38 times

Post by IFISHALOT » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:26 pm

My go to for the past 4 seasons has been the D.O.A Jerkbaits 4" in Pink Ice on a TT Jighead size 5/0 in 1/8th for fishing under 10mt over 10mt 1/4oz in same size.
Haven't had a trip where I haven't had 3 under 50 in that time.
Have smashed the fish when plenty around me struggling on Bait and lures.

These are tips I beleive are essential for success.

1. Quality Sounder to detect fish.
2. Use a drough to slow your drift down ( Essential )
3. Use as light a Jighead as possible (1/4oz you mentioned is 2 heavy for where you plan to fish)
4. Try to fish with Flourocarbon leaders no heavier than 10lb
5. Use a Scent on your plastics

Here's a couple of videos of the above plastic in action and these are at Ricketts. Both there and the poles have plenty of 3kg + Fish.
I have been roasted every year by 7kg+ fish, but I do only fish with 7' 2-4kg sticks with 2500 size reels and 10lb Braid with 10lb leaders. I still have managed to land plenty in the 3-5kg class through. GOOD LUCK!!!

https://youtu.be/uPB5ijbYJ-o

https://youtu.be/VtP3Rk-MqbE
Associated with Strike Pro, Jigstar, Daiichi, Lumica, Mapso, Bushranger Lures, Eureka Lures, Senshi, Sax Scent, TiCA, Victory Knives, Tonic Sunglasses & McLaughlin's Bait[url]http://www.jurofishing.com

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:26 am

Some great info there. I'm planning to search some red on a yak too this season, would be happy enough to catch one or two.
Croe, we gotta meet up and fish.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:09 pm

The big pink and white nemesis are my go to, but i'm land based.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Kestrel » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:44 pm

IFISHALOT wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:26 pm
My go to for the past 4 seasons has been the D.O.A Jerkbaits 4" in Pink Ice on a TT Jighead size 5/0 in 1/8th for fishing under 10mt over 10mt 1/4oz in same size.

3. Use as light a Jighead as possible (1/4oz you mentioned is 2 heavy for where you plan to fish)

Here's a couple of videos of the above plastic in action and these are at Ricketts. Both there and the poles have plenty of 3kg + Fish.
I have been roasted every year by 7kg+ fish, but I do only fish with 7' 2-4kg sticks with 2500 size reels and 10lb Braid with 10lb leaders. I still have managed to land plenty in the 3-5kg class through. GOOD LUCK!!!

Been trying to find a supplier of those DOA Jerkbaits in pink for awhile but no luck.
Any advice on that?
Cheers
Kestrel

IFISHALOT
Has liked: 38 times

Post by IFISHALOT » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:31 pm

Kestrel wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:44 pm
IFISHALOT wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:26 pm

Been trying to find a supplier of those DOA Jerkbaits in pink for awhile but no luck.
Any advice on that?
Cheers
Kestrel

Hi Mate,

Not being bought into Oz anymore.
Can purchase from D.O.A direct in America
Associated with Strike Pro, Jigstar, Daiichi, Lumica, Mapso, Bushranger Lures, Eureka Lures, Senshi, Sax Scent, TiCA, Victory Knives, Tonic Sunglasses & McLaughlin's Bait[url]http://www.jurofishing.com

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:45 pm

Gulps, Gulps, Gulps and More Gulps
you do not need anything else, period!!!!

pink shine, nuclear chicken, lime tiger glow, camo, watermelon pearl, pumpkinseed
pretty much all colours will work on them.
i like to use 4 and 5 inch minnows for the snapper.. and 3 inch for the pinkies

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:38 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:45 pm
Gulps, Gulps, Gulps and More Gulps
you do not need anything else, period!!!!

pink shine, nuclear chicken, lime tiger glow, camo, watermelon pearl, pumpkinseed
pretty much all colours will work on them.
i like to use 4 and 5 inch minnows for the snapper.. and 3 inch for the pinkies
Gotta love the nuclear chicken!
Apparently they love it too !
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Snapper Fishing”