Blackfish rigs for strong currents

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
wilburnheroux

Blackfish rigs for strong currents

Post by wilburnheroux » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:21 am

During the weekend blackfish outing, in the favourite Sydney Harbour spot, things were going great with 4 in the keeper bag, until the drift got really fast, which hadn't happened before, at this point the float was leaning right over and at this point the downs stopped. Upgraded to a bigger float with more lead, still seemed to lean right over and no further joy with the fish. It wasn't windy at all, it seemed to be the current. What's the drill to deal with this? - a float with lead on the stem? A big float with lots of lead on the rig? A string of split shots? A float that's shaped like a sail? Any bright ideas? I guess I'll try all this if it happens again! Thanks for your help.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Blackfish rigs for strong currents

Post by Texas » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:24 am

TBH - I have no idea
Gra

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:47 pm

It sounds like you needed more weight to cock the float and have it standing upright, easiest way to do this is a couple of split shot between the float and hook. Just enough to cock the float.

Strong current you might need a slightly wider float for stability, I find the Neptune Blackfish float or any similar style to work well. You'll occasionally get a slight lean when cocked upright which doesn't affect the fishing.

I use the exact same setup for blackfish as I do garfish, here is my post explaining it all.
https://www.fishing-victoria.com/viewto ... 53&t=24565
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:08 pm

wilburnheroux wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:21 am
During the weekend blackfish outing, in the favourite Sydney Harbour spot, things were going great with 4 in the keeper bag, until the drift got really fast, which hadn't happened before, at this point the float was leaning right over and at this point the downs stopped. Upgraded to a bigger float with more lead, still seemed to lean right over and no further joy with the fish. It wasn't windy at all, it seemed to be the current. What's the drill to deal with this? - a float with lead on the stem? A big float with lots of lead on the rig? A string of split shots? A float that's shaped like a sail? Any bright ideas? I guess I'll try all this if it happens again! Thanks for your help.
I fish at Lakes entrance every year during the summer months for blackfish (ludericķ) from the rocks along the channel leading to the entrance on the east side with the runout tide being the best time fir them.The tide flows at 3-4knots roughly and the rig is set with the hook around 8 feet deep .I use 4-5 split shot evenly spaced so the float stick only is visible.The float is a running float set up so the depth is adjustable. Been using this setup for 30 years and works a treat.To me sounds like maybe the current is pulling your bait higher and out of the strike zone.
Add more split shot about 30cm above the hook or you may have to go for a slightly larger float that can handle the weight.Also allow the float to run with the current by casting up the current and allowing it to drift past you for about 20m then pull up and cast up current again.
I have a lot of success with this method so good luck

Return to “Snapper Fishing”