17/11 snapper report

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
Matthew drako
Has liked: 28 times

17/11 snapper report

Post by Matthew drako » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:35 pm

After a week of shocking weather, it was nice to see the forecast for tuesday and wednesday being perfect for a trip on the bay. decided we'd hook the boat up and get out for an early morning mission launching from patto. i knocked off work at 12am wednesday morning and got a measily 2 hours of sleep before waking at 3am to drive over to patto. arrived there at 4:45 am and we cruised out to the 18 meter area to a mark where we've caught fish every time we've been there over the last couple years. dropped the pick and set a spread of baits out the front with some snapper snatchers on the side (reedys ultra rigs in midnight and scallop. around 6am we have our first buckle but unfortuantely spat the hooks, 5 minutes later i go to check the bait on one of the snatchers and as i start winding it up i feel some weight??? snag?? banjo??? nope it takes off and after a short sharp fight we boat a snapper of around 3 kilos. 65cm. took a half pilly on top hook. 10 minutes later and the snatcher on the other side of the boat buckles over, better fish here, brutal fight but eventually we get it to the boat, a lovely 5-5.5 kilo snapper taken on the bottom hook on squid. we decide to sit out the rest of the tide until the change for the next hour and a half for limited action but eventually on the change be boat a 39cm pinky on a pilly. we decide to make a move, around 8:30am and the sounder lights up with fish hard up on the bottom (17m) drop the pick and after an hour we've landed a small snapper around a kilo and another pinky. we then sounded around the 12 meter mark, fish everywhere but wouldn't go. all in all a slow day but happy to get a few. water temp is only 15 so it's no surprise they were tough going.
Attachments
941AB9E3-E6C6-4E3C-84EE-CFE2122E6EC3.jpeg

Matthew drako

Re: 17/11 snapper report

Post by Matthew drako » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:41 pm

also to note. freshwater is a problem, lines pushing under the boat or way off to the side no matter the tide or wind.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:11 pm

Matthew drako wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:41 pm
also to note. freshwater is a problem, lines pushing under the boat or way off to the side no matter the tide or wind.
Very true! Went out yesterday and it felt like there was always a very strong current even at slack tide. I thought it was the full moon. You did well on the snapper mate, everyone was saying it was very quiet.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:19 pm

Matthew drako wrote:
I had the exact same problem yesterday mate.
My mate and I kept talking about it while fishing saying it shouldn’t be wind against tide.
Well done with the fish. Some nice reds there 😊
We launched early around 5 and managed to get a couple of big ones as well.
Cheers 👍🏻

Matthew drako

Post by Matthew drako » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:39 pm

eddyt wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:11 pm
Matthew drako wrote:
Very true! Went out yesterday and it felt like there was always a very strong current even at slack tide. I thought it was the full moon. You did well on the snapper mate, everyone was saying it was very quiet.
tell me about it mate, was a disaster at one point with lines getting caught on the anchor. the fresh water movement seems to be stronger than the tides at the moment hence the issues. how'd you go out there

Matthew drako

Post by Matthew drako » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:42 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:19 pm
Matthew drako wrote:
I had the exact same problem yesterday mate.
My mate and I kept talking about it while fishing saying it shouldn’t be wind against tide.
Well done with the fish. Some nice reds there 😊
We launched early around 5 and managed to get a couple of big ones as well.
Cheers 👍🏻
thanks mate good to see you got a couple as well. the general consensus was boats struggling. (people having better results up north which is closer to home for me, in fact 5 mins from altona ramp, but personally hate fishing the north for snaps lol). and we found the lines were sitting nicely out the back until about 6:45-7. then the wind swung around and it was disaster. kind of ruined the trip having to recast every 2 minutes.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:26 am

Matthew drako wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:39 pm
eddyt wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:11 pm
Matthew drako wrote:
tell me about it mate, was a disaster at one point with lines getting caught on the anchor. the fresh water movement seems to be stronger than the tides at the moment hence the issues. how'd you go out there
I launched late morning from Mornington and fished in close, 12m mark. Good numbers of small pinkies early on and then it went quiet after the sun came out. Managed a few keepers around 30cm and one decent 1kg-ish which came in the afternoon just after the tide change.

Had to pull out the heavy sinkers. The current just kept getting stronger closer to high tide

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:47 am

It's been mayhem this week. 3 nights out and 3 bag outs on big fish.. It doesn't get much better thats for sure!

fishnut

Post by fishnut » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:33 pm

Robbie1950 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:47 am
It's been mayhem this week. 3 nights out and 3 bag outs on big fish.. It doesn't get much better thats for sure!
Sounds like u had a ball mate,u fishing North or south

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:04 am

fishnut wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:33 pm
Robbie1950 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:47 am
Sounds like u had a ball mate,u fishing North or south
Fishing north mate. All fish caught around P2 and T14. I went out yesterday arvo and caught another nice fish. I can't remember the last season it was this good.

Return to “Snapper Fishing”